Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
GoPro Apps for Desktop
Hiker

Windows Editing Software for GoPro MAX Release Date?

[ New ]

Dear GoPro,

This will be my 3rd camera that I have own from your company. A lot of promises were made on the GorPro Max and there are a lot of big misses on this release and I personal am very frustrated with those promises i.e. easier editing. Well if you are a MAC owner then that could be the case, but if you are a one of the potential 1 billion Windows-powered PCs owner in the world, with approximately 400 million active users on Windows 10. This is four times more popular than the Mac. This is a big miss of some people in the market. The workflow is very frustrating of exporting with your app then editing in another. There are others out in the market even as early as 2017 release of the Garmin Virb 360 offered direct editing out of the camera. It is mentioned there is in camera stitching, but I am unable to edit in basic video editing software such as CyberLink without first exporting then re-importing. There is an affinity for Adobe, but these are made for professional creators and not all of us are sponsored or have the funding for this software purchases. Editing on a phone is not feasible alternative and a really big miss as video files can get very large on a phone's resources. All I would ask is to have a better understanding of a timeline for a Windows editing app availability.

Thank you!

Frustrated Customer

Accepted Solutions
GoPro

Re: Windows Editing Software for GoPro MAX Release Date?

[ New ]

Windows is a fragmented operating system that covers a myriad of home setups. These setups require video encoding and decoding support for spherical media that need to be tested across multiple devices. For this reason, we’re taking a little more time to get things ready to make sure it meets the expectation of our users. Rest assured, we are planning to add the same level of features for Windows as users with Mac currently get with the GoPro Player.

Information about the updates will be posted here: GoPro Player/GoPro MAX Exporter: Release Notes

Thank you for your patience as we work through this and for being a GoPro customer.

View solution in original post

GoPro

Re: Rif.: Windows Editing Software for GoPro MAX Release Date?

[ New ]

Hello @gianlucap5361. The GoPro Player for Windows is already available. Please see https://community.gopro.com/t5/en/GoPro-Player/ta-p/413305 for more information. If you're not seeing the Windows download button in the article, please try changing the location and language to "US, English" on the webpage (upper-right portion of the page).

View solution in original post

All Replies
Hiker

[ New ]

Seconded. I do edit with Premiere but the plug in is terribly slow and janky (and I have just about one of the fastest amd desktops on the market). The Mac OS software works a lot smoother on my old macbook that I use for work. Overall it's just an extremely frustrating workflow and who knows if/when it will ever be fixed. Such a dissapointment from GoPro.

GoPro

[ New ]

Windows is a fragmented operating system that covers a myriad of home setups. These setups require video encoding and decoding support for spherical media that need to be tested across multiple devices. For this reason, we’re taking a little more time to get things ready to make sure it meets the expectation of our users. Rest assured, we are planning to add the same level of features for Windows as users with Mac currently get with the GoPro Player.

Information about the updates will be posted here: GoPro Player/GoPro MAX Exporter: Release Notes

Thank you for your patience as we work through this and for being a GoPro customer.

Hiker

[ New ]

lol. Window's also dominates the worldwide market at 77% useage vs 13% for Mac OS. As a result, there are far more applications developed for Windows than there are for Mac OS.

How is it that Insta 360 has 360 editing software for Windows? I don't hear them complaining about Windows...

The reality is that GoPro has rushed out a mediocre product with terrible software support. There has not even been a timeline release for when we can expect proper editing software for Windows. That in itself is a shame - but so are these cut and paste excuses in these forums.

Hiker

[ New ]

Yes I know how to get the export tool is and figured how to edit the footage awhile back, but I do apprciate the link. Believe me GoPro makes a decent product has packed a lot of engieering feats into their camras, but non viewable video and clamming that the MAX does pre-stitching well "kinda of" the camera records from both lens to a single file onto the SD card, but it’s still not viewable footage from a standards perspective let's see MP4 maybe?  Let me repeat that a standards perspective....  Well you can view it, but it is wonky with the stitchings lines out of wack just rename the .360 to .MP4 and you will see what I mean.

Question: 

Where are people going to post most of these videos FaceBook and YouTube probably the main platforms. I do not pretend to be an expert on this, but I should be able to take the footage straight out of camera and edit with what ever software I like. 

Disappointment, as this is something that Garmin did 2 years ago with the VIRB 360. This allowed you to take the footage straight from the camera into video editing software, so these were Resolution up to 5.7K/30fps with desktop stitching; 4K/30fps auto-stitched in the camera. Intresting that Garmin makes more products than just action camreas and GoPro cornered the market on action cameras and is unable to get a quality product to it's cusotmer. That means no addtional hardwar purchase such as an iProduct or software suites such as Adobe. This is a very expensive setup for the average Joe. 

Please let me freecapture my footage without doubling my stoarge capcity. 

Please let me edit with other software products besides Adobe products.

Please let me not have to go out and by an iProduct so I can be more creative.

Tourist

[ New ]

I PAID $500 FOR THIS CAMERA AND THERE IS NO WAY TO EDIT IN WINDOWS!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Wow.  Just wow.  I want my money back.  Can't afford monthly charge for ADOBE just to edit a few lousy clips.

YOU SHOULD PUT IN BOLDFACE "MAC ONLY" so you don't fool anyone else!!!!!

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @williamb3366

We are still working on the updates. Please continue checking our website for more information.

You may also check the thread below for applications suggested by other users: 

https://community.gopro.com/t5/GoPro-Apps-for-Desktop/an-max-app-for-windows/m-p/543285#/M25808

Thanks!

Ej

Tourist

[ New ]

You're not alone. I bought mine from best buy the other day entirely expecting to have full use right away. I am also heavily disappointed. Who releases an unfinished product twice in a row? First the fusion and now the max. Until a windows release, it's just a plastic rock sitting in my closet if I don't return it. If you can I'd advise returning yours and going for the insta 360 like many others are.

Tourist

[ New ]

@aenriquez wrote:

This is the biggest cop-out answer I think I have ever seen!  Windows PCs dominate the home computer market and yet not only have you released your newest camera without editing software for them, you can't even provide the community with an ETA?! As a FYI, you are allowed to impose minimum system requirements which would significantly reduce the scope of your required testing and help get this software to market much quicker! Until this is completed, this truly is an unfinished product and something that should have been delayed until this was completed.  Windows users should be paying less money for this incomplete product.. 

Hiker

[ New ]
They must still be developing for Windows Millennium Edition late 90's 2000 era and all the way up to Windows 10. This is the canned response as there are other issues with the VR player and the exporter that go unanswered or with these canned responses. Very unclear how GoPro can still be in business. I took a big chance on this and have been pleasantly disappointed. I was looking to replace Insta360 One X as it dosen't have waterproofing and the annoying red dot of doom. I will use One X for certain stuff and the minimal MAX. Hopefully they improve this over time. I have workarounds for editing for the time being.... Thanks for the great summary.
Tourist

[ New ]

I work for BestBuy and have been talking this camera up a ton. Now I have one and find out there is no good Software (even just to reframe) on Windows... The MAX has been out for 6 months! I'm hesitant to recomend this camera. Hoping for updates so I can be confident in GoPro again.

Hiker

[ New ]
Don't hold your breath for any such updates. After they broke the exporter and reverted back to the original back in January, there has been no significant update. I'm also a beta tester and the only thing they have is an app that will let you view the footage on a PC. Not only that but the app doesn't even work on my computer. Haven't seen anything like this from a respectable tech company. Shameful, really. Perhaps we'll see some decent software by the release of the Max 2, but with the current economic climate who knows when that will be.

That all said, insta360 isn't definitely on the ball and not feeding consumer's half baked software solutions.
Nomad

[ New ]

If you a beta tester you'll have received email about the release of Beta 2 - the exporter version....export to equirectangular at 5.6k, 4k, etc. and choose codecs like HEVC, Cineform, and H.264...I don't have my Windows machine with me, maybe you can give it a go and report back?

Hiker

[ New ]

I have installed the latest beta, but unfortunately I'm having the same issue I had with the previous version - it closes as soon as I attempt to open the file. Since I can't get past the file loading part, I can't test any other features. Someone else here may be able to help.

Tourist

[ New ]
Is this a beta test of gopro player for windows 10?! If so, how do you join the beta program? Considering my Gopro max is a huge paper weight until we have software , I'd say that it is really important that gopro address this asap!!
Tourist

[ New ]
Same here, I was amazed at the lack of software for Windows. You would think software would be ready before (or at least at) the release date! Very disappointing GoPro...
Hiker

[ New ]

Anyone with even a modicum of expectation for a $700(CAD) device from a large tech company would be disappointed. 

There was a post in a Facebook group (link below) about signing up for the beta. Why they chose this particular group, and why they used Facebook and not this forum is a mystery to me, but it does show just how poorly organized they are on the software side.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/goprofusion360/ 

Tourist

[ New ]
The most aggravating is the total lack of accountability. They have provided absolutely nothing to show that something is actually close to being released! And it has been many months now! Unacceptable..
Nomad

[ New ]

If you registered as a beta tester, Beta 2 - the exporter version - has been released....export to equirectangular at 5.6k, 4k, etc. and choose codecs like HEVC, Cineform, and H.264

Also, I belive a firmware update is coming around mid-month....

https://www.engadget.com/gopro-max-360-timelapse-60-fps-130231539.html

https://360rumors.com/gopro-max-update-adds-3k-60fps-mode-360-time-lapse-upgrade-firmware-manually/

Tourist

[ New ]

I really got into it with someone on another thread about this issue a while back.  I have spent the last month working with the phone app and will say, for SMALL clips it works great.  The OVERCAPTURE feature is the fastest, easiest way to reframe (easier than the MAC desktop method probably), but it takes SO LONG TO RENDER.  And then you have to save to your phone (and it won't let you save to the card even - YOU MUST SAVE TO THE INTERNAL MEMORY OF YOUR PHONE).  This is a big fail.  Why not let us save to the card?  I've got gigs on the card but I'm running out of space on my internal storage!!!!!  Another huge fail - The stitch line is WAY more obvious than the insta 360.  I did an hour of aerobatics in my plane and the footage was useless because the weird artifact at the bottom of the field of view.  I'm sorry, but this wasn't ready for release yet.  Rushed to market.

Hiker

[ New ]

I feel your pain, this is the case with the Insta360 One X phone app as well not being able to save off to External SD card. You also need additional approved phone hardware to be on their list for editing, so about another $1000 or more for additional hardware cost. Assumptions by manufactures and pushing additional burden on consumer is unacceptable and also NOT releasing video editing software. This would be fine if we were not beta testing their hardware and software. I really like shooting in 360 then reframe what I want as non-360 footage. My mistake was to follow some of the YouTube influence's "fanboys" with the assumption I could reproduce a quality product out of the box. This wouldn't be so bad if manufacture and "fanboys" were upfront about the true cost of editing 360 footage. It's still pretty amazing technology and hopeful as it becomes more mature the workflow will improve and cost will come down. Fingers crossed.   

Tourist

[ New ]

Yea, got me from Best Buy. Not happy - They should pull it from their shelves or add a warning lable.

Required Macbook Pro or it's will become an expensive paperweight!

Tourist

[ New ]

Hello aenriguez,

Please provide a content-rich update on this position. By now you and GoPro will have realised that an answer akin to "sorry, we dont really know, but it is likely that we cannot complete 360 audio and better windows 10 support until October this year" is better than "we value your custom, thank you for your patience."

Truth is always leading to better continued custom than marketing nonsense. 

Hiker

[ New ]

Ok, I just ordered a Go Pro 360 Max. Ready for the Windows software.

Tourist

[ New ]

Welcome to the Windows GoPro black hole. We have all been waiting for "easy" usable software since the max came out. Some folks seem to have luck with Exporter, some like me don't. The camera is great when the video is edited on a phone otherwise it's an expensive paperweight. All we get are excuses from GoPro.

Hiker

[ New ]

@darkstonecastle wrote:

Ok, I just ordered a Go Pro 360 Max. Ready for the Windows software.

You just ordered a Max knowing the software isn't available? I will not buy another 360 camera from GoPro until the software from the first one works. Check this forum and many others..... Every avenue of this ecosystem from desktop to mobile, pc to mac, IOS to Android has an issue that causes all of us to find a workaround. I'm not asking for anything like Adobe Premiere level of solution. Just want something that will take the 360 video files and make something we can use. I don't need Facebook or instagram intergration or anything that will sift through my files and decide what I want to see. Save that for the toy cameras. 

Hiker

[ New ]

Yep, I did. However, I saw a video on youtube today of a dude (from Australia) beta testing the next firmware for the MAX which is spose to do 3K 50 fps and slow motion (I imagine it will 60 fps for the US) and it looks good. The video was posted 3 weeks ago. I think the Cornavirus thing slowed everything down but, I expect to see this 60 fps update and windows editing in the next few weeks or lets say by the end of JUNE at the very latest. BUT, even if the updates never come for whatever reason, I can still resort to just using the smart phone app for reframing and think I will still enjoy using the camera. That other popular camera on the market, the insta 360x and R, I just don't like the look of the footage. The MAX footage doesn't blow me away but it's decent and I figure I'll go ahead and take the plunge into the 360 world so I can get acquainted with it and upgrade over time.

Hiker

[ New ]

I think most would agree the hardware is hard to beat at the price range. The problem I have with the mobile app is importing footage from the camera. Transfering files more than a few seconds long is painful and both your mobile device and camera will need external power. Don't even think about trying to pull the card out and use a reader. Transfering the files with a reader is very quick on all my devices but the GoPro app will not touch them. Like I said, every avenue has issues and I won't spend any more money on another 360 device that cripples your workflow like this. I takes all the fun out of using the camera.

Tourist

[ New ]

I bought my camera a week ago, it's a shame that they don't even have the decency to say that if you don't have MAC you can't do anything with this camera ...
Angry is little for what I am! 
Sorry to buy it, I hope this problem will come soon and the most uncomfortable thing is that you never have answers from the Gopro Group

GoPro

[ New ]

Hello @grumbaut

You can use the GoPro App for editing 360 videos. See 360 Media Support in the GoPro App 

We are currently working on a Windows version of the GoPro Player which should be available soon. 

If you haven't yet, sign up to be part of the Beta testing group so you can have access to the latest build/version of the Player.

To start, please fill out the form at https://forms.gle/fJgfm982PUPbn23D7 . 

Please note that there will be no automatic response. The form just puts you on the list of those who will receive the email when the update is sent out.

Thanks!

Ej

Tourist

[ New ]

I agree with the intial post, GoPro get your head out of your ass, and start developing the editing tools for windows also STOP taking the easy route and make it for Mac users only, and forcing the people who don't want to buy another laptop or PC dedicated for just a **bleep** GoPro, also not everyone wants to use the app becuas eits a pain in the ass to use and there is never enough memory space to do the editing.

For me I would do my X amount of days of recording enjoy the days I'm doing them, in the evening copy the SD card onto an external HDD and sleep. Then when I finished the X amount of days and when I have some free time I would hook the external HDD to a PC and start watching the 360 video and then start editing them, on the "Still Waiting" Windows GoPro Editor, Make non-360 and monoscopic 360 which I can then transfer to any video editor I like to try it on (Free or Paid)  or straight to youtube

After that then I would then go on any video editor software e.g Vegas Movie Editor, make the video and upload to youtube to share with friends.

This is how I want the work flow to be!

GoPro, realise how, many people use the software or for god sake hire someone to read this forum and implement the interface everyone or majorty of people would be happy with.

Tourist

[ New ]

The form that you linked now indicates that you're no longer taking beta signups, and that your customers should refer to a Facebook group to get the Windows beta player.  That's of no help to GoPro customers like me that loathe Facebook and refuse to use Facebook.  What are the non-Facebook options for your Windows customers?  I don't feel that I should have to open an unwanted Facebook account in order to enjoy the GoPro product that I purchased.

Hiker

[ New ]

I'm with ya there. Facebook is nothing more than a liberal sewer pit for bottom dwellers.

Tourist

[ New ]

Yet again its a crap show using Facebook to make another hurdle, its as if your social media employees are running a mockery of the engineering teams work.

You have a **bleep** forum use the your own **bleep** forum to publish the beta windows software.

How stupid is your empolyees? Making silly hurdles for your own customers to follow.

You are making it much harder for me to even justify staying with your future cameras, and I rather tell others not to bother going near your stuff becase of extremely poor support.

Mo

GoPro

[ New ]

Apologies, @mohala, @darkstonecastle, @ohhhhhhballs. At this time, the Facebook Forum is the only place that the beta will be hosted. We hope to have the full program released in the near future. 

Tourist

[ New ]
That is unfortunate and unacceptable. What you are really telling me, the owner of a new Max and a Windows user, is this: "We have new software available that can suit your needs, but we refuse to make it available to you - unless you do business with a third party. Although we have our own domain and our own forum and we could host the solution ourselves, it is more convenient for us to host the software elsewhere - and our convenience is more important to us than the convenience of our customers."

I'm not doing business with Facebook, and I shouldn't have to. I chose to do business with GoPro, and I'm starting to regret that because of this terrible customer support decision.

Thanks for notifying me of your outright refusal to provide me with your solution to this problem.
Tourist

[ New ]

I agree totally with @ohhhhhhballs 

Mo

Hiker

[ New ]

Qual è la pagina facebook per trovare la BETA di gopro max exporter ?
thanks.

GoPro

[ New ]
Hiker

[ New ]
Thank you. I don't understand why the beta is on Facebook and not on this official page. So everything is increasingly difficult.
Hiker

[ New ]

Good afternoon everybody.
I only learned about the gopro player software in beta yesterday. Finally! :)
After 7 long months of waiting !
I did not understand why the beta has not been included on the forum group of Gopro but it is necessary to go through facebook, mysteries of life.

At first glance it seems to work well, I made a quick comparison with the insta360 software, the software that I have used to date for the reframe of the gopro max on windows.
When I make the ball, insta makes a black circle while gopro remains in 16: 9, so better gopro player, however, I have the impression that it is jerky.

Thanks Gopro, I hope you will update this software again :)

(sorry for english, i used google translator)

Sightseer

[ New ]
Good Morning Everyone.

Wow, so disappointed. Got a new MAX this week and no way to edit my videos on my PC. Shameful...and this has been going on for more than 6 months!
Hiker

[ New ]
Tourist

[ New ]

I download beta and max exporter and everytime i try open  exported .mov video player it crashes and goes to desktop?

I love my Max but ihave been super disapointed at I have noway to edit, reframe or share anything.

Cant afford not want to invest phone or tablet just for edit use, just invest toni of money on PC hardware.

GoPro

[ New ]

Hello @aruaylin

Please go over the steps on https://community.gopro.com/t5/en/How-to-Resolve-GoPro-Player-GoPro-MAX-Exporter-Crashing-Issues/ta-...

Let us know how it goes.
You may also reach out to our Support Team through https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs  for further assistance.

Thanks!

Ej

Tourist

Rif.: Windows Editing Software for GoPro MAX Release Date?

[ New ]

ike many users I find that the absence of an editing program for windows is a very serious lack .. even I from a camera that I paid 500 euros I expected some decent 360 editing software and a way that would allow me to edit them on a any windows program without the obligation to use adobe which has prohibitive costs for the amateur filming I do.
editing on mobile is totally inadequate.
and the forum responses are mockery.
it was clearly written in your advertisements that you don't have decent software for windows and that editing can only be done on mac.
I am extremely disappointed because the max makes great videos which however I cannot edit.
I had known before I didn't buy it.
there is still no news of the release date of a windows editor for go pro max is outrageous.

come molti utenti trovo che l'assenza di un programma di editing per windows sia una mancanza molto grave .. anche io da una telecamera che ho pagqato 500 euro mi aspettavo del software decente di editing 360 ed un modo0 che mi consentisse di editarli su un qualsiasi programma windows senza l'obbligo di usare adobe che ha costi proibitivi per le riprese amatoriali che faccio .
l'editing su cellulare è assolutamente inadeguato .
e le risposte del forum sono delle prese in giro .
andava chiaramente scritto nelle vostre pubblicità che non avete un software decente per windows e che l'editing si può fare solo su mac .
sono estremamente deluso perchè la max fà ottimi video che tuttavia non posso editare .
lo avessi saputo prima non la compravo.
non si hanno ancora notizie della data di rilascio di un editor windows per go pro max è scandaloso

GoPro

[ New ]

Hello @gianlucap5361. The GoPro Player for Windows is already available. Please see https://community.gopro.com/t5/en/GoPro-Player/ta-p/413305 for more information. If you're not seeing the Windows download button in the article, please try changing the location and language to "US, English" on the webpage (upper-right portion of the page).

Tourist

[ New ]

Go-Pro software for windows sucks ass properly

It worked for all of a month then came back up with HEVC driver issues. Honestly I have 3 8's and 1 max. I intended to get another 3 Max'z but wont until Go-Pro stop spending so much money on plastering their name everywhere and actually get some software that works with Windows