Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
GoPro Apps for Desktop
Sightseer

Why has GoPro studio been removed and replaced with a completely non-intuitive editor in Quik?

[ New ]

I used to use Studio all the time to make quick and easy edits, pull out still captures, etc. It now seems to have been replaced with a completely non-intuitive (for a novice like me) and resource heavy editor dumped into Quik. 

Are there any plans to bring Studio back? Or can anyone tell me where I can find an older version to download?

Cheers all!

GoPro Community Manager

Re: Why has GoPro studio been removed and replaced with a completely non-intuitive editor in Quik?

[ New ]

There are no plans to offer Studio as a download again. If you already have Studio, you can still continue to use it though. If you're looking for another editor that's similar to Studio, take a look at VSDC or iMovie.

Sightseer

Re: Why has GoPro studio been removed and replaced with a completely non-intuitive editor in Quik?

[ New ]

I no longer have the original Studio as I've just formatted my laptop - are you not hosting the file anywhere at all anymore?

And thanks for the links but VSDC doesn't support 4k and iMovie isn't available for Windows.

Hiker

[ New ]

I hope GoPro considers bringing Studio back, or has plans for some sort of replacement. Don't get me wrong, Quik is great to put together hilights and create quick videos to share, but that's about all it's useful for. We still need something a little more powerful. I know there are other software out there such as Lightroom, After Effects, and Final Cut Pro, but those are too powerful and expensive for my needs (and I suspect the same for most other casual users as well).

Here are some problems / frustration I've observed over the past few days with my new camera. I feel that all of these wouldn't be an issue if I could use GoPro Studio.

• It appears that I can only make a video up to one minute in Quik. What if I want something longer?
  • Creating a time lapse video from still photos isn't intuitive in Quik. My particular time lapse was supposed to be four minutes long. I first ran into the one minute limitation Quik has. I eventually discovered I can just create a clip so that I have the full four minutes, but there aren't very many options when saving. Plus, I'd rather do my editing in one go rather than creating the clip and importing it into another program to do edits since that affects the quality.
  • Based on previous issue, I tried making the time lapse in iMovie so I could make all my edits in one go, but iMovie could not handle the 7400+ images.
  • Windows does not have any video editing tool like iMovie on Mac.
  • GoPro Studio had some neat options such as 'remove fish eye'. How are we supposed to do that now?

It baffles me why GoPro would remove the Studio software. Now it feels like we can't use our camera to its full potential unless you are a professional and own some of the software I listed above. If I had known GoPro Studio is no longer an option, I probably would have considered getting a different/cheaper camera.

Hiker

[ New ]

You can find it online by doing a simple search. I found another thread here on the forums about the subject and just make sure to run it in Windows 7 compatibility mode it should work just fine.

I tried Quik but it's just terrible for anyone with a brain...

Hiker

[ New ]
GoPro Community Manager

[ New ]

@megaboost34688 - There are no plans to bring back GoPro Studio, and we are not hosting a download of it anywhere on our site.

Tourist

[ New ]

What a complete rubbish answer, so for professionals what are your support options?? How do we deal with encoding to protune, manage luts with meta and so on...

I think best bet is for people to sell up their camera's and move onto Sony or any other brand as GoPro is clearly aimed at kids now with the kind of software they release and no professional support scheme in place topped by rubbish answers for what the end users clearly want..

Simple - you dont offer that level of support and dont want to listen to what the customer wants?, no worries we can move on..

Ive been peeved at how downhill GoPro has gone since the Hero3 and that was the last straw.. Sorry GoPro, once great but now balls..