Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
GoPro Apps for Desktop
Highlighted
Tourist
Accepted Solution

Why did gopro dump studio and substitute it with a POS software

Why did gopro dump studio and substitute it with a POS software

Are you trying to lose customers? If that’s the goal I think you’re on the right track

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
GoPro

Re: Why did gopro dump studio and substitute it with a POS software

Hi @jerseyjohn

I am sorry if you feel this way. For reference you may refer to this link: GoPro Studio End-of-Life FAQ

Thanks!

EJ

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Explorer

Studio was buggy, crashed often, and was not well liked. I was one of the few who did use it, but I also was one of the few on this site defending it and trying to help people use it on a daily basis. Every day there were many complaints from users having issues. I was able to use it because I have a half way decent editing computer, but even then it did crash sometimes.

GoPro spent millions to acquire Studio from Cineform and offered what was a paid program for free. Unfortunately, as operating systems developed and changed GoPro had to keep dumping resources into Studio to keep it alive. Being stuck with Cineform's original design created too many issues to carry on.

When GoPro aquired the mobile apps Quik and Splice The hope was that they could provide the same functionality for the desktop. As free editors such as DaVinci Resolve are already available and much more powerful, functional, and flexible for producing professional videos, it didn't make sense to keep dumping resources into the limited and antiquated Studio. Instead, they tried to create a simple, fast, and easy way for people to make fun little video clips to share from their computer. For full fledged editing, there was, and continues to be, better options.

Many software engineers worked on Quik for desktop and I was personally very fortunate to meet them while they were developing it. Sadly, GoPro fell on hard times with the recall of Karma and the delay of the Hero5 Black. While GoPro is a global brand, they are not by any means a huge corporation. Since they have not turned a profit for several years now, they had to start cutting staff severely. Many of these original developers are no longer with the company.

With the Hero6 came HEVC recording. While this is a much better video compression, it requires significant coding to get it recognized and working in an editor. Studio wasn't cut out for it and GoPro didn't have the resources to recode Studio for it or to continue supporting the daily calls and text from people having issues with it. So, they EOL'ed Studio.

GoPro continues to try to improve Quik for desktop and hopefully they will get a better working desktop program in the near future. For now, they are focusing their efforts on mobile solutions as this is where the majority of people are creating their videos.

For desktop editing beyond what Quik can provide, GoPro recommends the free program VSDC video editor. Personally, I think DaVinci Resolve is a better program, which is also free. I use Adobe Premiere Pro myself, but only because I need the integration with the other Adobe programs and also for the VR plugins for my Fusion camera. I have used DaVinci Resolve though, and it's an excellent editor that is on par with Adobe Premiere Pro and actually has better color grading in many ways.

Studio is no longer provided because it ends up putting a considerable strain on customer service. There are plenty of free and paid alternatives that do a better job editing footage.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
GoPro

Hi @jerseyjohn

I am sorry if you feel this way. For reference you may refer to this link: GoPro Studio End-of-Life FAQ

Thanks!

EJ

Highlighted
Tourist

Nice of you to answer so quickly but you did not answer the question. why would go pro abandon a program that worked well it was well liked and substitute it with a buggy new software that crashes.  If studio map it’s and of life as you say it was only because GoPro decided to end it. Part of the reason people. Go pro cameras this because they had editing software that they could use for the cameras now we’re left with nothing that works .

Highlighted
Explorer

Studio was buggy, crashed often, and was not well liked. I was one of the few who did use it, but I also was one of the few on this site defending it and trying to help people use it on a daily basis. Every day there were many complaints from users having issues. I was able to use it because I have a half way decent editing computer, but even then it did crash sometimes.

GoPro spent millions to acquire Studio from Cineform and offered what was a paid program for free. Unfortunately, as operating systems developed and changed GoPro had to keep dumping resources into Studio to keep it alive. Being stuck with Cineform's original design created too many issues to carry on.

When GoPro aquired the mobile apps Quik and Splice The hope was that they could provide the same functionality for the desktop. As free editors such as DaVinci Resolve are already available and much more powerful, functional, and flexible for producing professional videos, it didn't make sense to keep dumping resources into the limited and antiquated Studio. Instead, they tried to create a simple, fast, and easy way for people to make fun little video clips to share from their computer. For full fledged editing, there was, and continues to be, better options.

Many software engineers worked on Quik for desktop and I was personally very fortunate to meet them while they were developing it. Sadly, GoPro fell on hard times with the recall of Karma and the delay of the Hero5 Black. While GoPro is a global brand, they are not by any means a huge corporation. Since they have not turned a profit for several years now, they had to start cutting staff severely. Many of these original developers are no longer with the company.

With the Hero6 came HEVC recording. While this is a much better video compression, it requires significant coding to get it recognized and working in an editor. Studio wasn't cut out for it and GoPro didn't have the resources to recode Studio for it or to continue supporting the daily calls and text from people having issues with it. So, they EOL'ed Studio.

GoPro continues to try to improve Quik for desktop and hopefully they will get a better working desktop program in the near future. For now, they are focusing their efforts on mobile solutions as this is where the majority of people are creating their videos.

For desktop editing beyond what Quik can provide, GoPro recommends the free program VSDC video editor. Personally, I think DaVinci Resolve is a better program, which is also free. I use Adobe Premiere Pro myself, but only because I need the integration with the other Adobe programs and also for the VR plugins for my Fusion camera. I have used DaVinci Resolve though, and it's an excellent editor that is on par with Adobe Premiere Pro and actually has better color grading in many ways.

Studio is no longer provided because it ends up putting a considerable strain on customer service. There are plenty of free and paid alternatives that do a better job editing footage.