Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
GoPro Apps for Desktop
Tourist

Re: Why can't I find files to import to Gopro Studio!?

I'm having the same problem, it seems that I can't highlight the file I want to import, it's greyed out.

drag and drop doesn't work, no mater where I try to drag the file 

I've tried moving the file around into different locations, but still no joy.

I also tried moving the file back to the camera to see if the software will recognise it, but I coudn't move the file back to the camera either.

It seems if the file is not moved from the camera directly to the software, it no longer recognises the file as one of it's own.

Need some help with this, over 3 hours and I got nowhere

Anonymous

Yeah I have the exact same problem as the first two people. However the problem is is when I go into Photos, click on the videos in the import section of the Photos app, and try to do File-Export, the option for "export unmodified original for # video" is not available. I can see the option, but I cannot click on it, it is not available. I have no idea what to do from here. 

Anonymous

Help? I imported video files from Hero4 onto mac using Photos 1.5. They were in last import. Now I can't find them. What do I do? I deleted files from gopro. 

Tourist

No answer, but I thought I might share my variant on the problem.

I have a MacBook Pro (17inch) and a Macbook Air (11 inch), both running macOS Sierra (10.12), and a Hero 4 Silver. Before today I have only used the (then) current software on the MacBook Pro, successfully. Today I have downloaded and installed Quik on both Macbooks, which also (says it) updates GoPro Studio. On the MacBook Pro, no problems. Using the standard USB cable to attach the Hero 4, Quik loads and imports the files and (because it is configured that way) deletes the files from the microSD card. However, with the MacBook Air, the OS recognises that a Hero 4 has been connected and starts up Quik, but then Quik just sits there doing nothing. I have tried connecting the Hero 4 before Quik has been started, and also after Quik has been loaded. I have tried connecting with the camera, and again with just the SD card in an adapter. And I still haven't found a way of getting past the startup "wallpaper" when using the MacBook Air. I intend (tomorrow) to see if Apple have any suggestions as to why everything works OK on the Pro, but not on the AIr. If I find out anything of use, ...

GoPro

Hi @Anonymous

When iPhoto (or Photos) imports the footage, the files are changed from their original format, and, in many cases, are unrecognizable by Studio.  This is why we always recommend either importing with Quik for Desktop, or copying the files directly off your micro SD card.

The reason you are unable to find them after syncing with iPhoto is that all data is stored in the iPhoto Library file located in your Pictures folder.  You can look inside this file by right-clicking, and choosing "Show Package Contents", but I would not recommend messing with the file structure too much.  

Photos and iPhoto really want to be the program to import your footage, and will always try to volunteer whenever you plug in a digital camera or SD card.  You can stop this from happening by checking the sidebar of iPhoto when you have your camera connected.  You should see, below the sidebar, an option allowing you to choose what happens when you connect the device.  It will say "Connecting this device opens:", and then have a drop down menu you can use to choose the application.  My recommendation is to choose "No Application".

For Photos, the process is similar.  When Photos opens automatically upon connecting a device, you will see a box checked near the top left corner of the window that says "Open Photos for this device".  Simply uncheck the box, and the next time you connect your camera, it should not have Photos open automatically.

To anyone having issues related to iPhoto or Photos importing your footage, I would try to find the original SD card you were using, and importing the footage using either Quik, or copying the files directly onto your internal storage.  

To @andyw28033

I would also recommend you contact GoPro Support directly to see if we can help troubleshoot the issue with you.  You can reach out by using the "Contact Sales and Support" link on the main Support page.

Cheers!​​​​​​​

Tourist

Following up from my earlier message.

Well, Apple didn't want to know, saying that it wasn't their software.

Fortunately Fred M in the GoPro support team was a lot more helpful and exchanged several emails. In his latest email he suggested deleting a particular file from the Library/Preferences folder. Unfortunately this didn't get things working. However, being a bit of a Luddite, I decided to remove the four files with names starting com.gopro from that folder, and copied over the six files from Library/Preferences on my MacBook Pro (where everything was working OK) that had names starting with com.gopro. I rebooted the MacBook Air, plugged in and turned on my Hero 4 Silver and (as one might say) "Wham, bang, thank you!" Quik asked for my email address and password for the GoPro account, and in the blink of an eyelid (literally) imported the small test video.

And a big "Thank You" to the GoPro support team for being patient with this doty old man, seriously helping to get things going on the MacBook Air.

Anonymous

Thanks mate this helped me a lot, couldn't of done it without your help cheers :)

Highlighted
Anonymous

For what it's worth, I ran into a similar issue where the most recent photos/videos from the GoPro (Hero 4) were not available to import (or so I thought...)

As it turns out, the date/time on the camera had become out of sync, and the Import screen was sorted by Date Created/Modified (descending), which gave the illusion of "missing files". Once I finally realized the incorrect date associated with some recent footage (in my case it was off by over 13 months, e.g. Jan 5, 2015), I was able to identify and import successfully.

I did have to adjust some of the timestamps for the files after the fact to re-arrange everything (to be chronologically correct), but hopefully this insight may help someone else who runs into the same scenario, and prevent the brief period of panic over seemingly lost footage :)