Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
GoPro Apps for Desktop
Highlighted
Hiker
Accepted Solution

Where are highlight tags stored?

I have Quik installed on my Win 10 laptop that travels with me and my Win 10 desktop.

I moved some GoPro Hero 8 videos from my laptop to my desktop (copied the media folders) and I can't see the highlight tags that were created on the laptop using Quik. Where are they stored? I assumed they were written into the stream?

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Hiker

Re: Where are highlight tags stored?

Figured it out myself.

Using DB Browser for SQLite I opened the media.db database at %userprofile\AppData\Local\GoPro\Databases

Found the videos that had values for hilight_tags <> 0 in the media table

Cross referenced them using the gumi field to the media_hilights table to ID the video name.

Then divided the hilight field value in the media_hilights table  by 60,000 to come up with the second mark in the video.

Much faster than trying to rewatch and re-add 30 or so highlights to my snorkeling videos.

Unforunate that the Quik app doesn't write the tags to the video.

So if you computer crashes, all your highlights are gone if you haven't got your profile backed up.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
Nomad

Usually they are written to the mp4 header. At least that's the case of highlight tags set with the camera. I'm not sure if the desktop apps add them to the header, but if you did not go through a rendering process, it's very possible that the tags were just in the software memory, not in the videos themselves

Highlighted
Hiker

Thanks @kajuna - that is what I am hoping someone knows.

I hope there is a file I can copy to the 2nd computer so that I don't have to go through those videos again to find the highlights.

Since they don't appear in Quik on the second computer, it would appear they aren't written to the video header - which is strange.

Anyone?

Highlighted
Hiker

Figured it out myself.

Using DB Browser for SQLite I opened the media.db database at %userprofile\AppData\Local\GoPro\Databases

Found the videos that had values for hilight_tags <> 0 in the media table

Cross referenced them using the gumi field to the media_hilights table to ID the video name.

Then divided the hilight field value in the media_hilights table  by 60,000 to come up with the second mark in the video.

Much faster than trying to rewatch and re-add 30 or so highlights to my snorkeling videos.

Unforunate that the Quik app doesn't write the tags to the video.

So if you computer crashes, all your highlights are gone if you haven't got your profile backed up.