Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
GoPro Apps for Desktop
Tourist

Re: What's happened to the Quik for Desktop apps?

[ New ]

I have it but does not work too.  It launches and choose media and click play shuts off!!!

Sightseer

[ New ]

Any update on a new Windows Desktop App?

Hiker

[ New ]

Hi,

read this message only to realize I have exactly the same problem. I followed your sollution, which is to make sure the Quik app opens with the integrated grapics.

Also tried the other option, which is to open the Quik app using the high performance Nvidia processor.

In both cases my Quik app freezes when accessing the "create mode", and I have to force the app to shut down.

Would be interesting to hear if you have any other sollution to my (and others it seems?) problem?

You meansion a crash log would be of interest, how can I provide you with that?

Windows 10

CPU Intel Core i5 4200u

8 GB Ram

64 bit OS, x-64 based processor

Integrated graphics with Intel HD Graphics 4400 and Nvidia high performance processor

GoPro 7 Hero Black

Looking forward to your response.

Tourist

[ New ]

Hello Sharplift, 

I have issues as well. They originally told the issue was that I didn't have a i7 processor. 

Now I have the current top of the line and I am sill having issures. I do see your running an i5. 

I would say look to see what the minimum recommendations are to run the program. 

Hiker

[ New ]

Hi radioactive1,

I did review and consider the minimum recommendation. From what I understand, integrated graphics should not be a problem.

But who knows? Not sure the support knows either.......

But feel free to give me a tip if you find something to sort the problem with Quik app for desktop (windows).

Nomad

[ New ]

And again.....................   Quik for windows is discontinued software.  It hasn't been updated in over 2 years.  It is not compatible with newer camera's such as the Hero 8, Fusion, Max, or Hero 9.

In those two years Windows has had many updates and changes, your graphics card has also had driver updates.  In short, if your system is no longer capable of running software that's over 4 years old and hasn't been updated in over 2 years, it's hardly surprising at all.

Stop using Quik.  It's horrible, terrible software that no one should use........... ever.  
It's no longer supported, will no longer have updates, will no longer work with your system.

Hiker

[ New ]

Hard words, but I hear you.

Can you recommend any other free program/software, with similar and an "easy-to-use" interface for us who dont want to be a video-editing expert?

Nomad

[ New ]

Thank you, I'm not saying them to be mean, but people need to wake up and face reality.  GoPro Quik should just not be used.

There are lots of "free" editors out there, however for the best video quality and best looking video's, you should be using professional software, there's even "free" professional software out there (Da Vinci resolve) and yes, it looks overwhelming compared to a drag and drop editor, but once you learn the basics, you will find how easy, quick and so much better it is.

The problem with most free editors is that they either lack a lot of features or they are loaded with other programs you don't want on your system.  What I would do is looking at paying for a program that's under $100, offers basic editing and even offers GPS data tools.

I've been testing and using this one extensively and I figure it's got the most bang for it's buck:

https://goprotelemetryextractor.com/telemetry-overlay-gps-video-sensors

The best thing is that it's modern, up to date, the creator actually responds to emails and has adjusted several things in the program based upon direct feedback from users to improve the software.  This is honestly just great software.

So the 4 video tools I use the most are.....

DaVinci resolve (Free, if I want to do proffessional grade video editing or coloring),

Premier Pro ($24 per month, if I want to reframe 360 video, use lens correction, edit video quickly, adjust soundtracks etc),

GoPro Telemetry Extractor ($99, mostly for for getting GPS data onto my video's.  In fact I usually export them as a transparent video and then add them into Premier Pro).   

Finally, if I'm on the go and I need to create a video quickly and send it into the local news channel (and I've had my video's featured several times doing this) I use the GoPro app for mobile.  It's free, has basic GPS, quik to use and although it's limited to 1080P video, usually that's good for a quick news broadcast clip.