Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
GoPro Apps for Desktop
Highlighted
Sightseer

Re: What's happened to the Quik for Desktop apps?

Im happy to find that Quik can still be downloaded from Gopro here. 

https://community.gopro.com/t5/en/GoPro-legacy-software/ta-p/595533#/start=1

Highlighted
Nomad

@irishmanpdx wrote:

It does indeed seem strange for GoPro to pull their last software before their new software was ready but there may be a very good reason for this. 

A:  GoPro has already admitted that they are working on new Windows software.  Remember, Quik was quite old and didn't support the newer functions of the GP8 camera's

B:  I suspect this software is well into developement and is being trouble shooted at the moment, this is based on certain things that were said go GoPro staff.  However this has probably led to a delay with the rollout.

C:  GoPro ran a memorial day special and they did huge business as a result.  However they probably didn't want a bunch of new customers trying to use their GoPro Hero 8 camera's with Quik only to find Quik didn't work with the camera properly.  So more than likely they pulled Quik and are leaving customers to rely on the mobile apps.

D:  GoPro have not given an ETA on the new software.  You can ask all you want but no one here, not even the admins, are authorized to give away any information other than their prepackaged response.  Not their fault, they are just under orders regarding what they can and can't say.

Not having Quik doesn't affect your ability to use the camera, the camera still does what it's always did.  Quik was just terrible terrible software anyway and no one should use it.......... for anything.....   ever.  Sorry, but tis true...

GoPro SHOULD however give it's customers more information regarding their new software.  I rather see a target release date that's missed than hear nothing at all whatsoever.  I think it would be more to the companies interest to hear things like "need to push out by a week due to a graphics driver compibility issue with X-video cards" etc.   It would let the customers know the software is coming and what's being worked on.  GoPro have done this with the GoPro mobile app for android and GoPro Reframe Player for Windows and people have jumped on board with beta testing and feedback.  They should take the same approach for their windows software, it lets people give direct feedback for functionality, problem solving and keeps them interested.

Would I send back my camera because Quik was pulled?  Heck no.  The benefits of the camera outweigh the loss of the software greatly.  Also if you used Quik before with your GoPro Hero 7, you can still use it now, nothings changed except the fact they won't be making any more changes to the software.  So keep your camera, keep using your old copy of Quik if you want and just wait to see what's coming.  I just hope it comes soon!

Late to this party and might already have been said or debunked but I will venture a guess. A licence they had has expired and can't therefore offer the old software anymore without buying that licence or royalty again.

Highlighted
Nomad

@irishmanpdx wrote:

It does indeed seem strange for GoPro to pull their last software before their new software was ready but there may be a very good reason for this. 

A:  GoPro has already admitted that they are working on new Windows software.  Remember, Quik was quite old and didn't support the newer functions of the GP8 camera's

B:  I suspect this software is well into developement and is being trouble shooted at the moment, this is based on certain things that were said go GoPro staff.  However this has probably led to a delay with the rollout.

C:  GoPro ran a memorial day special and they did huge business as a result.  However they probably didn't want a bunch of new customers trying to use their GoPro Hero 8 camera's with Quik only to find Quik didn't work with the camera properly.  So more than likely they pulled Quik and are leaving customers to rely on the mobile apps.

D:  GoPro have not given an ETA on the new software.  You can ask all you want but no one here, not even the admins, are authorized to give away any information other than their prepackaged response.  Not their fault, they are just under orders regarding what they can and can't say.

Not having Quik doesn't affect your ability to use the camera, the camera still does what it's always did.  Quik was just terrible terrible software anyway and no one should use it.......... for anything.....   ever.  Sorry, but tis true...

GoPro SHOULD however give it's customers more information regarding their new software.  I rather see a target release date that's missed than hear nothing at all whatsoever.  I think it would be more to the companies interest to hear things like "need to push out by a week due to a graphics driver compibility issue with X-video cards" etc.   It would let the customers know the software is coming and what's being worked on.  GoPro have done this with the GoPro mobile app for android and GoPro Reframe Player for Windows and people have jumped on board with beta testing and feedback.  They should take the same approach for their windows software, it lets people give direct feedback for functionality, problem solving and keeps them interested.

Would I send back my camera because Quik was pulled?  Heck no.  The benefits of the camera outweigh the loss of the software greatly.  Also if you used Quik before with your GoPro Hero 7, you can still use it now, nothings changed except the fact they won't be making any more changes to the software.  So keep your camera, keep using your old copy of Quik if you want and just wait to see what's coming.  I just hope it comes soon!

Here's my take on this (sorry if this is a double post, my first attempt didn't show up). A licence they paid for has expired and they had to either pull the app or by to renew the licence. I guess they chose to pull it and since the new one wasn't ready, we were left with no version to download. Bad planning on their part if that's the case.

Highlighted
Hiker

I have no doubt that it is easier to hide the software from new customers since it doesn't fully support the current model. Answering question about why a product isn't supported by the current software 9 months after it's release doesn't look good. My theory of why the deep sales of the past few months has more to do with investors and numbers. I doubt they know that the software side is way behind. I don't use the software for anything other than importing to a hard drive and almost an asset manager. If you think the Hero8 has it bad then don't even think about the 360 camera. I have always said the hardware is great and that's all I want from GoPro but if you need the software for your purpose then I would return it if at all possible. 9 months is a long time to wait for features that were available in the last few generations of hardware. I don't see the new software doing what I want for my purpose and again 9 months is a long time to hold your breath. 

My hint to the software team...... I don't use social media so why is your software based on it? I don't stream a live feed connected to a device that is already capable of streaming a live feed. I don't want your software to sift my media and pick out parts that GoPro decides most interesting. It's funny because it seems more random than scientific.

My hint to the hardware engineers.... Why would you take your top of the line camera that's capable of 4k60 with the best stabilization out there and strap a media mod on it with all the lights, screen and microphones (not safe for almost any action) which obviously is marketed to a segment that records only 24fps? No not 25fps from our PAL friends but 24fps. Have you seen the never ending whining when any camera released doesn't support 24fps? I think the Hero7 Silver would be the smartest model at half the price to take the action out of your action camera. A Hero8 Black with MediaMod, screen, lights, and a microphone far exceeds the price of much more capable mirrorless camera with things like face tracking and depth of field just to name a few.

Highlighted
Tourist

I have the same opinion about the camera. Why would anyone use an accessory on a camera design to be strap on a bike and probably getting hit with some rocks if the accessory weakens the camera. And that's why I bought a H7B instead even though I could of bought the new H8B. I feel like the H8B is weaker than the H7B. With the non removable lens and the build in mounting prongs (I've read somewhere that it's easier to pull the prongs right of the camera striping all of the metal that to brake in a way that you can the replacement) and seriously GoPro. If I need HDMI in my camera do I really need the media mod ? I'm happy with my H7B. I can replace the lens if it brakes,if I brake the mounting progs I know I can replace them (even though it would be more convenient to have them built in).
I hope the next GoPro is a action friendly camera, because the H8B is just built for convenience.
Highlighted
Nomad

Seems some of your info is a bit behind the times and you're saying things that people have said about a year ago.  Let's bring you up to speed just so you have some knowledge:

I have no doubt that it is easier to hide the software from new customers since it doesn't fully support the current model. Answering question about why a product isn't supported by the current software 9 months after it's release doesn't look good.

Actually since GoPro have been busy totally redesigning their software, why on earth would they spend time and effort into updating their old software when everyone basically hates it?  So yes, new camera, not supported by old software nor will it ever be due to the fact that old software was terrible.  Just terrible.

My theory of why the deep sales of the past few months has more to do with investors and numbers.

Actually it's fact.  GoPro is a publicly traded company and by law they are not allowed to operate at a loss.  This doesn't mean they can't post a loss, but lawfully they are supposed to do everything in their power to post a profit.  If this means pumping out camera's at discounted prices to sell units, then this is what they have to do.

I doubt they know that the software side is way behind.

They actually do and have admited as much on several occasions, you should read some of the interviews with the CEO where he states that they need to concentrate on software developement.  In fact due to this realization they have thrown vast resources behind the GoPro app, are currently working on a reframing GoPro player for 360 media and have recently trademarked the name "Mural" for their new video and photo editing suite that's also in developement.

If you think the Hero8 has it bad then don't even think about the 360 camera.

See above, the GoPro Player which reframes footage in Windows is now in Beta and can be downloaded from their facebook group for testing.

I have always said the hardware is great and that's all I want from GoPro but if you need the software for your purpose then I would return it if at all possible. 9 months is a long time to wait for features that were available in the last few generations of hardware. I don't see the new software doing what I want for my purpose and again 9 months is a long time to hold your breath. 

Agreed and this is a failing by GoPro and they have admitted as much.  Their software was terrible and they are making huge steps to correct this.  You should join some of the beta groups to see what they are working on.

My hint to the software team...... I don't use social media so why is your software based on it?

Because GoPro don't make camera's for one individual, they make camera's for the mass consumer and run feedback groups adn surveys based on what people use their camera's for.  The majority use them on the go for posting clips to social media.  

I don't stream a live feed connected to a device that is already capable of streaming a live feed.

Again, that's what you, 1 person does, however the majority of streamers and video production crew that use GoPro's do connect their GoPro's to a capture device for live streaming rather than just rely on the GoPro's wireless feed.  This allows them to switch camera's on their feed etc.  

I don't want your software to sift my media and pick out parts that GoPro decides most interesting. It's funny because it seems more random than scientific.

Again the majority of GoPro users are not professional video editors or have experience in making a collage of clips, so the GoPro mobile app tries to give people the best of both worlds.  Have the app pick and edit for you or you can just use manual control.  GoPro Quik didn't give you that option as much and people who edit on PC's or Laptops tend to want more manual control over what they do.  Hence the reason Quik was discontinued as a way forward and GoPro is concentrating on Mural.

My hint to the hardware engineers.... Why would you take your top of the line camera that's capable of 4k60 with the best stabilization out there and strap a media mod on it with all the lights, screen and microphones (not safe for almost any action) which obviously is marketed to a segment that records only 24fps? No not 25fps from our PAL friends but 24fps. Have you seen the never ending whining when any camera released doesn't support 24fps?

Because the hardware engineers don't sell, design or market the camera.  They are given a specific task for the camera to achieve and then have to make it work.  Marketing surveys and feedback from users is what directly influences the design and implimentation of camera features.  Also the ability for such a camera to be profitable.  So market a camera that is "modular" and people like the idea = more customers.  This has nothing to do with the hardware engineers or their choices, this is what they are told to do by their bosses (who base their decisions on marketing).  People like 24FPS as it tends to give the picture a more cinematic look thanks to the more natural motion blur as opposed to something like 60FPS which makes things sharper looking but gives it that "soap opera" look.  

I think the Hero7 Silver would be the smartest model at half the price to take the action out of your action camera.

Yes but this is your thought and not the actual real data based upon user feedback.  The Hero 7 Silver was not an idea camera at all, in fact the choice to sell 3 camera models per year (Black, Silver, White) ended up being too much for the consumer and they were often left with a camera that didn't do what they wanted it to do thanks to a budget price being chosen over function.  You'll notice this practise has stopped and GoPro are shifting old GoPro 7 inventory by having the 7 be the "budget" priced camera.  This saves production costs and gets rid of old inventory which is a far better choice.

A Hero8 Black with MediaMod, screen, lights, and a microphone far exceeds the price of much more capable mirrorless camera with things like face tracking and depth of field just to name a few.

From a consumer point of view that is true, but from a company point of view it's great.  People will end up paying out more money just to ensure they have the official GoPro accessories for the camera.  This equates to extra spending by customers and extra money for GoPro.  So making more money from a camera that requires less money put into it (due to lack of face tracking, DOF etc) is a no brainer.  The camera actually does have features built into it that the consumer doesn't know about and hopefully with their new software and with GoPro labs, the consumer will finally get to take advantage of this.  After all, unlocking new features that would benefit the consumer without having to produce a new camera would also = more money for GoPro and save on production costs.

So to sum up, some of what you said was correct, a good bit was wrong and most of it is currently being addressed by GoPro.  They are still behind the ball software wise but they are throwing resources at that end of things as they realize it's the future of the company (anyone can make an action cam knock off cheaply, what will define the winner is the software support.......  and it only took GoPro over 12 years to finally realize this).

Highlighted
Hiker

With all due respect sir, you are drinking the Kool-Aid. Behind the times? You are funny.

Is there software available for the Hero8? No.... Will there be? Let's hope so. But fact is, NO.

You're answering for them which means nothing to the person who actually paid money for the camera. Still NO on the software.

I don't need a lesson on business law. That actually has nothing to do with my point. I was commenting on the perception that they are doing well to the investors and they don't know the software that these customers count on is still...... NO

I did sign up for the Beta. I recieved the link to download the Reframe plugin for Adobe. Worthless to me and likely to most of their users as you have already pointed out that don't use professional software.

To say they are listening to their customers is also interesting. I'm all about adding features to a product I already own. The MediaMod is like I said, made for the wrong market level camera. I don't need a quote from their brochure to help me understand why they are in the product situation they chose. Do yourself a favor and search youtube for even the reviews of the mediamod. You'll notice they are almost always using another camera to record the review.

Do you understand that from a marketing standpoint features that the customers don't know about don't exist? If I can't use them they aren't there. If we don't know they are there then how would this sell a product? 

Don't start saying they are dumping all the resources into the software because that means nothing to someone who bought the product day 1.

If you were actually paying attention to what "Gopro" has said you will start to notice a few things "in the market". Let's just say I'm happy to pick up a few more Gopros. Do your homework and you might think about it yourself. 

Highlighted
Nomad

Problem is that you're such an angry little ball of rage, you can't even tell when someone is agreeing with several of the points you're making, way to go!  You made a couple of accurate statements and several wildly inaccruate ones, all I did was try to help clarify the issue for you, but you're such an unpleasant little person that you just became enraged.

You signed up for "A" beta, considering that there are three beta testing groups, one for the mobile app, one for the reframe player and one for the adobe plugin, it looks like you signed up for the wrong group.  That's on you.

I'm sorry your GoPro experience has been a bad one, hopefully a solution presents itself and you can finally have a positive experience.  

Good luck.