Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
GoPro Apps for Desktop
Hiker

What's happened to the Quik for Desktop apps?

[ New ]

I just went to the Apps page on gopro.com and the Quik for Desktop (Mac and Windows) is no longer there, instead there is the Max360 apps.

Where is the Quik app download, why has it been removed from the website?

I have tried to download GoPro MAX Exporter in the hope it will work with GP7B but I get an error when trying to download:

An Unexpected Error has occurred.
  • Your request failed. Please contact your system administrator and provide the date and time you received the error and this Exception ID: 3C587341.
Hiker

Re: What's happened to the Quik for Desktop apps?

[ New ]

it looks like the download problem has now been fixed but still no sigh of QUIK for dekstop.

GoPro

[ New ]
Hiker

[ New ]

ok, moved onto what? there's no repalcement, you can't move on if you haven't moved anywhere... where's the new software??

GoPro

[ New ]

Our team is still working on it. We do not have any other information about it at this time. We will definitely post about it when we have an update. 

In addition to Quik, you might also want to explore other programs that can be used to view and edit your GoPro footage. 

Hiker

[ New ]

I don't understand why you would pull an app before the new one is ready, no other apps support Highlights or Gauges and these are the reasons I bought a GoPro, if you are pulling support for these 2 features then I should have stayed with my Drift camera!

Tourist

[ New ]

If GoPro doesn't have an app to connect my H7B to my laptop I don't want my camera anymore. I can't edit my videos with does GoPro gauges, or even import videos to my Hard Drive. So I don't want it anymore. Should I wait or should I return my camera immediately and buy one from another brand?

Backpacker

[ New ]

It does indeed seem strange for GoPro to pull their last software before their new software was ready but there may be a very good reason for this. 

A:  GoPro has already admitted that they are working on new Windows software.  Remember, Quik was quite old and didn't support the newer functions of the GP8 camera's

B:  I suspect this software is well into developement and is being trouble shooted at the moment, this is based on certain things that were said go GoPro staff.  However this has probably led to a delay with the rollout.

C:  GoPro ran a memorial day special and they did huge business as a result.  However they probably didn't want a bunch of new customers trying to use their GoPro Hero 8 camera's with Quik only to find Quik didn't work with the camera properly.  So more than likely they pulled Quik and are leaving customers to rely on the mobile apps.

D:  GoPro have not given an ETA on the new software.  You can ask all you want but no one here, not even the admins, are authorized to give away any information other than their prepackaged response.  Not their fault, they are just under orders regarding what they can and can't say.

Not having Quik doesn't affect your ability to use the camera, the camera still does what it's always did.  Quik was just terrible terrible software anyway and no one should use it.......... for anything.....   ever.  Sorry, but tis true...

GoPro SHOULD however give it's customers more information regarding their new software.  I rather see a target release date that's missed than hear nothing at all whatsoever.  I think it would be more to the companies interest to hear things like "need to push out by a week due to a graphics driver compibility issue with X-video cards" etc.   It would let the customers know the software is coming and what's being worked on.  GoPro have done this with the GoPro mobile app for android and GoPro Reframe Player for Windows and people have jumped on board with beta testing and feedback.  They should take the same approach for their windows software, it lets people give direct feedback for functionality, problem solving and keeps them interested.

Would I send back my camera because Quik was pulled?  Heck no.  The benefits of the camera outweigh the loss of the software greatly.  Also if you used Quik before with your GoPro Hero 7, you can still use it now, nothings changed except the fact they won't be making any more changes to the software.  So keep your camera, keep using your old copy of Quik if you want and just wait to see what's coming.  I just hope it comes soon!

Tourist

[ New ]

i keep getting no device associated with this account??? any help

Backpacker

[ New ]

Do you have a GoPro account set up?  Have you registered your camera using that GoPro account and are you logging into Quik using the same GoPRo account login?

Tourist

[ New ]

I can log on on IPHONE but not laptop. I have my story i need uploaded to laptop file but can not download Quik to HP Laptop

Tourist

[ New ]
It's just weird for people like me that import the camera files with Quik and like the way Quik organizes them. But you have a point, thanks 👌
Tourist

[ New ]

I just hope GoPro doesn't increase the tech specs of the new software. My 3rd gen Core i5 with integrated graphics can't take much more.

Sightseer

[ New ]

блин .... софт такое говно , два дня по работала программа и опять не открывается, хуйня конченная .... очень расстроен , такие деньги платишь за оборудование а программа для не ни какя .. ГОВНО

Tourist

[ New ]

I agree with you, I pay a premium for my H7B and all the software for Windows and Android is crap. Do I have to get a Mac to import my files? I don't even know if Mac/ios software is better. I've been with GoPro since the Hero (2014) and I've fallen in love with the camera (hardware) but software wise it sucks. That camera crashed on the first day and I completely panic, it took me 3 hours to do a force shutdown and update the firmware. I remember trying to use GoPro Studio on my core2duo laptop. it sucked. Now with my H7B the camera still has unsolved bugs, sometimes the camera is completely off (with all of that GPS, Wi-Fi and other crap off) but when I turn the camera on it has almost no battery left.

Again I love the camera's hardware and I love the quality that it has and when I work it's freaking awesome. But when the software decides to crap out, the experience is frustrating.

I hope GoPro changes their software scheme and starts giving decent software/firmware to the consumer.

Hiker

[ New ]

I was disappointed to see this app discontinued and difficult to find the legacy download link. GoPro's customer experience has been going down the drain lately. This shouldn't have been removed until there is a replacement. If the reason for removing it was because it wasn't compatible with the HERO 8, they should have advertised it as not being compatible instead of prematurely hiding the app from everyone.

Yes, I know the app isn't the best for editing videos, I do use other apps for that. But... Quik was a nice app to import and organize my GoPro videos. One reason why I used Quik was that I could view and create time lapse videos from still images effortlessly. Another reason for using Quik was that it could display gauges or telemetry on the video (speed, height, GPS path, etc.) Are there any other good alternatives out there that can do this for when Quik finally does bite the dust?

Sightseer

[ New ]

Im happy to find that Quik can still be downloaded from Gopro here. 

https://community.gopro.com/t5/en/GoPro-legacy-software/ta-p/595533#/start=1

Nomad

[ New ]

@irishmanpdx wrote:

It does indeed seem strange for GoPro to pull their last software before their new software was ready but there may be a very good reason for this. 

A:  GoPro has already admitted that they are working on new Windows software.  Remember, Quik was quite old and didn't support the newer functions of the GP8 camera's

B:  I suspect this software is well into developement and is being trouble shooted at the moment, this is based on certain things that were said go GoPro staff.  However this has probably led to a delay with the rollout.

C:  GoPro ran a memorial day special and they did huge business as a result.  However they probably didn't want a bunch of new customers trying to use their GoPro Hero 8 camera's with Quik only to find Quik didn't work with the camera properly.  So more than likely they pulled Quik and are leaving customers to rely on the mobile apps.

D:  GoPro have not given an ETA on the new software.  You can ask all you want but no one here, not even the admins, are authorized to give away any information other than their prepackaged response.  Not their fault, they are just under orders regarding what they can and can't say.

Not having Quik doesn't affect your ability to use the camera, the camera still does what it's always did.  Quik was just terrible terrible software anyway and no one should use it.......... for anything.....   ever.  Sorry, but tis true...

GoPro SHOULD however give it's customers more information regarding their new software.  I rather see a target release date that's missed than hear nothing at all whatsoever.  I think it would be more to the companies interest to hear things like "need to push out by a week due to a graphics driver compibility issue with X-video cards" etc.   It would let the customers know the software is coming and what's being worked on.  GoPro have done this with the GoPro mobile app for android and GoPro Reframe Player for Windows and people have jumped on board with beta testing and feedback.  They should take the same approach for their windows software, it lets people give direct feedback for functionality, problem solving and keeps them interested.

Would I send back my camera because Quik was pulled?  Heck no.  The benefits of the camera outweigh the loss of the software greatly.  Also if you used Quik before with your GoPro Hero 7, you can still use it now, nothings changed except the fact they won't be making any more changes to the software.  So keep your camera, keep using your old copy of Quik if you want and just wait to see what's coming.  I just hope it comes soon!

Late to this party and might already have been said or debunked but I will venture a guess. A licence they had has expired and can't therefore offer the old software anymore without buying that licence or royalty again.

Nomad

[ New ]

@irishmanpdx wrote:

Here's my take on this (sorry if this is a double post, my first attempt didn't show up). A licence they paid for has expired and they had to either pull the app or by to renew the licence. I guess they chose to pull it and since the new one wasn't ready, we were left with no version to download. Bad planning on their part if that's the case.

Hiker

[ New ]

I have no doubt that it is easier to hide the software from new customers since it doesn't fully support the current model. Answering question about why a product isn't supported by the current software 9 months after it's release doesn't look good. My theory of why the deep sales of the past few months has more to do with investors and numbers. I doubt they know that the software side is way behind. I don't use the software for anything other than importing to a hard drive and almost an asset manager. If you think the Hero8 has it bad then don't even think about the 360 camera. I have always said the hardware is great and that's all I want from GoPro but if you need the software for your purpose then I would return it if at all possible. 9 months is a long time to wait for features that were available in the last few generations of hardware. I don't see the new software doing what I want for my purpose and again 9 months is a long time to hold your breath. 

My hint to the software team...... I don't use social media so why is your software based on it? I don't stream a live feed connected to a device that is already capable of streaming a live feed. I don't want your software to sift my media and pick out parts that GoPro decides most interesting. It's funny because it seems more random than scientific.

My hint to the hardware engineers.... Why would you take your top of the line camera that's capable of 4k60 with the best stabilization out there and strap a media mod on it with all the lights, screen and microphones (not safe for almost any action) which obviously is marketed to a segment that records only 24fps? No not 25fps from our PAL friends but 24fps. Have you seen the never ending whining when any camera released doesn't support 24fps? I think the Hero7 Silver would be the smartest model at half the price to take the action out of your action camera. A Hero8 Black with MediaMod, screen, lights, and a microphone far exceeds the price of much more capable mirrorless camera with things like face tracking and depth of field just to name a few.

Tourist

[ New ]
I have the same opinion about the camera. Why would anyone use an accessory on a camera design to be strap on a bike and probably getting hit with some rocks if the accessory weakens the camera. And that's why I bought a H7B instead even though I could of bought the new H8B. I feel like the H8B is weaker than the H7B. With the non removable lens and the build in mounting prongs (I've read somewhere that it's easier to pull the prongs right of the camera striping all of the metal that to brake in a way that you can the replacement) and seriously GoPro. If I need HDMI in my camera do I really need the media mod ? I'm happy with my H7B. I can replace the lens if it brakes,if I brake the mounting progs I know I can replace them (even though it would be more convenient to have them built in).
I hope the next GoPro is a action friendly camera, because the H8B is just built for convenience.
Backpacker

[ New ]

Seems some of your info is a bit behind the times and you're saying things that people have said about a year ago.  Let's bring you up to speed just so you have some knowledge:

I have no doubt that it is easier to hide the software from new customers since it doesn't fully support the current model. Answering question about why a product isn't supported by the current software 9 months after it's release doesn't look good.

Actually since GoPro have been busy totally redesigning their software, why on earth would they spend time and effort into updating their old software when everyone basically hates it?  So yes, new camera, not supported by old software nor will it ever be due to the fact that old software was terrible.  Just terrible.

My theory of why the deep sales of the past few months has more to do with investors and numbers.

Actually it's fact.  GoPro is a publicly traded company and by law they are not allowed to operate at a loss.  This doesn't mean they can't post a loss, but lawfully they are supposed to do everything in their power to post a profit.  If this means pumping out camera's at discounted prices to sell units, then this is what they have to do.

I doubt they know that the software side is way behind.

They actually do and have admited as much on several occasions, you should read some of the interviews with the CEO where he states that they need to concentrate on software developement.  In fact due to this realization they have thrown vast resources behind the GoPro app, are currently working on a reframing GoPro player for 360 media and have recently trademarked the name "Mural" for their new video and photo editing suite that's also in developement.

If you think the Hero8 has it bad then don't even think about the 360 camera.

See above, the GoPro Player which reframes footage in Windows is now in Beta and can be downloaded from their facebook group for testing.

I have always said the hardware is great and that's all I want from GoPro but if you need the software for your purpose then I would return it if at all possible. 9 months is a long time to wait for features that were available in the last few generations of hardware. I don't see the new software doing what I want for my purpose and again 9 months is a long time to hold your breath. 

Agreed and this is a failing by GoPro and they have admitted as much.  Their software was terrible and they are making huge steps to correct this.  You should join some of the beta groups to see what they are working on.

My hint to the software team...... I don't use social media so why is your software based on it?

Because GoPro don't make camera's for one individual, they make camera's for the mass consumer and run feedback groups adn surveys based on what people use their camera's for.  The majority use them on the go for posting clips to social media.  

I don't stream a live feed connected to a device that is already capable of streaming a live feed.

Again, that's what you, 1 person does, however the majority of streamers and video production crew that use GoPro's do connect their GoPro's to a capture device for live streaming rather than just rely on the GoPro's wireless feed.  This allows them to switch camera's on their feed etc.  

I don't want your software to sift my media and pick out parts that GoPro decides most interesting. It's funny because it seems more random than scientific.

Again the majority of GoPro users are not professional video editors or have experience in making a collage of clips, so the GoPro mobile app tries to give people the best of both worlds.  Have the app pick and edit for you or you can just use manual control.  GoPro Quik didn't give you that option as much and people who edit on PC's or Laptops tend to want more manual control over what they do.  Hence the reason Quik was discontinued as a way forward and GoPro is concentrating on Mural.

My hint to the hardware engineers.... Why would you take your top of the line camera that's capable of 4k60 with the best stabilization out there and strap a media mod on it with all the lights, screen and microphones (not safe for almost any action) which obviously is marketed to a segment that records only 24fps? No not 25fps from our PAL friends but 24fps. Have you seen the never ending whining when any camera released doesn't support 24fps?

Because the hardware engineers don't sell, design or market the camera.  They are given a specific task for the camera to achieve and then have to make it work.  Marketing surveys and feedback from users is what directly influences the design and implimentation of camera features.  Also the ability for such a camera to be profitable.  So market a camera that is "modular" and people like the idea = more customers.  This has nothing to do with the hardware engineers or their choices, this is what they are told to do by their bosses (who base their decisions on marketing).  People like 24FPS as it tends to give the picture a more cinematic look thanks to the more natural motion blur as opposed to something like 60FPS which makes things sharper looking but gives it that "soap opera" look.  

I think the Hero7 Silver would be the smartest model at half the price to take the action out of your action camera.

Yes but this is your thought and not the actual real data based upon user feedback.  The Hero 7 Silver was not an idea camera at all, in fact the choice to sell 3 camera models per year (Black, Silver, White) ended up being too much for the consumer and they were often left with a camera that didn't do what they wanted it to do thanks to a budget price being chosen over function.  You'll notice this practise has stopped and GoPro are shifting old GoPro 7 inventory by having the 7 be the "budget" priced camera.  This saves production costs and gets rid of old inventory which is a far better choice.

A Hero8 Black with MediaMod, screen, lights, and a microphone far exceeds the price of much more capable mirrorless camera with things like face tracking and depth of field just to name a few.

From a consumer point of view that is true, but from a company point of view it's great.  People will end up paying out more money just to ensure they have the official GoPro accessories for the camera.  This equates to extra spending by customers and extra money for GoPro.  So making more money from a camera that requires less money put into it (due to lack of face tracking, DOF etc) is a no brainer.  The camera actually does have features built into it that the consumer doesn't know about and hopefully with their new software and with GoPro labs, the consumer will finally get to take advantage of this.  After all, unlocking new features that would benefit the consumer without having to produce a new camera would also = more money for GoPro and save on production costs.

So to sum up, some of what you said was correct, a good bit was wrong and most of it is currently being addressed by GoPro.  They are still behind the ball software wise but they are throwing resources at that end of things as they realize it's the future of the company (anyone can make an action cam knock off cheaply, what will define the winner is the software support.......  and it only took GoPro over 12 years to finally realize this).

Hiker

[ New ]

With all due respect sir, you are drinking the Kool-Aid. Behind the times? You are funny.

Is there software available for the Hero8? No.... Will there be? Let's hope so. But fact is, NO.

You're answering for them which means nothing to the person who actually paid money for the camera. Still NO on the software.

I don't need a lesson on business law. That actually has nothing to do with my point. I was commenting on the perception that they are doing well to the investors and they don't know the software that these customers count on is still...... NO

I did sign up for the Beta. I recieved the link to download the Reframe plugin for Adobe. Worthless to me and likely to most of their users as you have already pointed out that don't use professional software.

To say they are listening to their customers is also interesting. I'm all about adding features to a product I already own. The MediaMod is like I said, made for the wrong market level camera. I don't need a quote from their brochure to help me understand why they are in the product situation they chose. Do yourself a favor and search youtube for even the reviews of the mediamod. You'll notice they are almost always using another camera to record the review.

Do you understand that from a marketing standpoint features that the customers don't know about don't exist? If I can't use them they aren't there. If we don't know they are there then how would this sell a product? 

Don't start saying they are dumping all the resources into the software because that means nothing to someone who bought the product day 1.

If you were actually paying attention to what "Gopro" has said you will start to notice a few things "in the market". Let's just say I'm happy to pick up a few more Gopros. Do your homework and you might think about it yourself. 

Backpacker

[ New ]

Problem is that you're such an angry little ball of rage, you can't even tell when someone is agreeing with several of the points you're making, way to go!  You made a couple of accurate statements and several wildly inaccruate ones, all I did was try to help clarify the issue for you, but you're such an unpleasant little person that you just became enraged.

You signed up for "A" beta, considering that there are three beta testing groups, one for the mobile app, one for the reframe player and one for the adobe plugin, it looks like you signed up for the wrong group.  That's on you.

I'm sorry your GoPro experience has been a bad one, hopefully a solution presents itself and you can finally have a positive experience.  

Good luck.

Hiker

[ New ]

Rage? You obviously have no idea what rage is. The only fact I've brought up in this thread is THERE IS NO SOFTWARE available to Hero8 users. I only signed up for the Beta I was interested in. Yeah that's on me. I was given a link to a beta program for their 360 camera by a GoPro rep. It was clearly for the Reframe Player because that was what the discussion was about and the reason it was suggested in the first place. Why would I even bring it up if I got a link to beta software I signed up for? You assume you know what I did because? As for the rest of my post, you seem to think you are the forum police. You have yet to prove how and where I am inaccruate as you put it. I've been a GoPro user for quite some time and I own quite a few GoPros. I've been known to record 20 to 30 gigs of data a day for many days in a row. Does that make me an Expert? Absolutely not and I never said that. But what it does do is give me experience. What I do with this data is directly related to the OP of this thread. My opinion has also been shared and I would think you would be smart enough to read it that way. That sir is as you say "is on you". As you try in your post to divert for Gopro you aren't giving anyone a solution to their issue. Anyone here can read the marketing material you love to spew and watch all the videos published by GoPro with software that isn't available as we speak. My experience has nothing to do with you and you aren't improving anyones experience with this product by typing in the marketing lit. The fact remains that if your experience with this product is going to hinge on the software and it's availability then you should take it back and get your money back. Holding the product and listening to you pat them on the back and saying it's coming is ignorant. Purchase the product again when it works for you. Is it tomorrow or even later today? Great!!! Everyone would be happy. But until then you are wasting your money. 

Backpacker

[ New ]

Smiley Wink

Sightseer

[ New ]

I have the original GoPro Hero HD Waterproof Action Camera. It still works great and I have a new laptop. What am I supposed to do now? No PC app, and it doesn't Bluetooth?? I'm lost...................Can someone please help me?

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @cindys41501

Quik for desktop should still work.

You can also download it here if you need to.

You may also try other applications listed on Programs to View and Edit Videos

Thanks!

Ej

Tourist

[ New ]

This has something to do with compatibility with Windows. Maybe windows did an update that removed compatability because Quik is not working with older versions of the app either. Windows suspends the action as soon as you click on either older executables or the newest.

Just glad it is not just me. I am sure they will get it worked out

Hiker

[ New ]

The Quick app does work with the latest windows 10. I have had to kill any service related to Gopro before it will open sometimes. Normally it pops up whenever I insert a card from my gopros just as it should. 

Hiker

[ New ]

@bradg3360 wrote:

This has something to do with compatibility with Windows. Maybe windows did an update that removed compatability because Quik is not working with older versions of the app either. Windows suspends the action as soon as you click on either older executables or the newest.

Just glad it is not just me. I am sure they will get it worked out

Possibly, but I don't think this is it. The Windows app still works for me. The Mac version was removed/archived too, which also still works for me. They are definitely trying to stop supporting the Quik app. Based on other comments there is a replacement in the works, but this shouldn't have been removed/archived until the replacement is ready.

Nomad

[ New ]

My take on this, and that's my third attempts to say this, the other two never got posted for some reason, GoPro had some third party licence that expired and had only two options. Pay it or pull the app.I guess they expected the new app to be finished before the licence expired but since that didn't happen, they pull the old app.

Hiker

[ New ]

having issues with Quik myself as worked before the latest iMac updates now the remote wont work with either iPhone or ipad.

Quik does not raed the camera (Hero 7 black) or see the sd card.  

Now I can only see the view mode uping GoPro app and all ffunctions just come back failed.

Any answers???

Malkie

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @malcolmp274

See if resetting the connections on the app will work.

Remove your camera entry from the GoPro App's history. 
iOS: Open GoPro App. Tap the pencil icon in the top-left corner of the Camera menu page. Tap the red X icon to delete the camera entry from your app’s history. 
Delete the GoPro camera under the Bluetooth and Wi-Fi entries in your mobile device’s settings before attempting to re-pair to your GoPro.

If you have recently updated the app, restarting the phone before pairing the camera again is suggested.

Regarding Quik for desktop, check out Camera is Not Recognized on Quik for desktop - Mac

Let us know how it goes.

Thanks!

Ej

Hiker

[ New ]

Well resolved the connections issue by reloading the Firmware into the GoPro and seems ok now. Must have currupted somehow.

iMac still does not see the card or the GP using Quik though. It sees the camera ok. Nothing wrong with the sd card as it can be seen by theiMac direct.

My mate has the same issues and it probably to do with the OS of the iMac being the up to date Catalina where GoPro have not cought up yet with Quik.

GoPro

[ New ]

@malcolmp274, run any available OS updates and make sure to have the latest update for your Graphics Card/s drivers installed. Use the GoPro USB-C cable that came with the camera. There are some troubleshooting steps here that will help: Camera is not Recognized when Plugged into a Computer USB Port 

Additionally, if using macOS Catalina, you can try the suggestions in this thread to see if they'll work for you: https://community.gopro.com/t5/GoPro-Apps-for-Desktop/Quik-not-compatible-with-macOS-Catalina/m-p/50... 

And make sure that your Mac system allows access to removable devices. See this thread https://community.gopro.com/t5/GoPro-Apps-for-Desktop/GoPro-Quick-Mac-import-not-working-import-butt... for more details. 

Tourist

[ New ]

I am flabergasted at GoPro's silence to this particular thread.

How can this company not provide any guidance on what to expect?

I have a Hero7 Black and Hero7 Silver. I love both cameras but the reality is we need a basic editing app for Windows and macOS, that is current and supported.

The silence will only fuel speculation and FUD.

C'mon GoPro please provide your customers, your community with a formal communication on where is this going.

Sightseer

[ New ]

So if Im reading this correct, the Gopro Quik app and possible the Hero8 camera is useless for me? I just purchased  in May for fathers day one of the Hero 8 bundles and CANNOT transfer anything from the card to Mac through Quik, I cant even log into quik atm. Im asking because this is my FIRST gopro camera and have even reached out to support and they responded that I needed to be in "Private browsing" which confused me because I am trying to use their desktop app. Im frustrated because on top of the bundle I purcased an additional $300 in accessories and I still cant get my videos off my Camera to my Mac and this has been about the closest thing I have gotten to an answer as to why I cant is there is no software. I even have issues with moving it from the Camera to my Iphone 8 its says "Storage full" yet have close to 200gb free so what gives? Im even a "Plus" member but cant log in to quik so Im just really bummed with everything at this point.

GoPro

[ New ]

@clearg88, sorry to hear you're having issues with the app. While some functions of cameras may work with Quik for desktop, we have not provided any updates to the program prior to HERO8 and therefore we are unable to determine what features will work, what won't, and what consistency you may get with HERO8 and MAX cameras.

If having trouble signing in, you may try resetting the app:

1. Open Quik for desktop 
  2. While on the login screen, select the "Help" tab above the Quik for desktop window 
  3. Select "Restart with default settings" 
  4. A modal will appear saying "Are you sure?". Click "Restart" once more. 
  5. Quik for desktop will close and reopen. Quik for desktop will appear as if you installed it for the first time. 
  6. Go to the login screen and input your credentials. You should then be able to login successfully.

You may use an SD card reader/adapter to connect the microSD card to your computer so you can offload your GoPro contents. 

Let us know how it goes.

Sightseer

[ New ]

I wish they would get this fixed again.  The main thing I liked about Quik was how it would pull in our elevation and speed.  I have an editing software but it will not pull in that info, only on Quik.  But Quik doesnt work anymore....

Tourist

[ New ]

Hi

My girlfriend bought me a Hero 8 for my birthday this year and it seems I am unable to do anything with the videos as there is no Windows support for the device from GoPro. This should be in big red capital letters on the box as, like many people, I wasn't expecting to have to invest time and money in 3rd party hardware/software products in order to make a short video. My needs are extremely basic.

Is there any prospect of Windows support please?

Backpacker

[ New ]

There's plenty of free editing apps online.  If you want something professional, try DaVinci Resolve.

GoPro is working on new software that supports the Hero 8 fully (unlike Quik) meanwhile you can always avail of the GoPro app for android and iOS which can fully edit your video's.

Tourist

[ New ]

I am also trying to find this out.  I contacted suppurt and did not really get an answear.  they did provide a link of where i can get the sotfware, 

https://community.gopro.com/t5/en/GoPro-legacy-software/ta-p/595533#/start=1

note , it is identified as "GoPro legacy software"   you will also see "We’ve moved on, but that doesn’t mean you have to. Download your favorite legacy software here."

what does this mean?  Legacy,  EOL. Does this mean it is no longer patched for security issues?  what is the replacement ? Life cycle of the software is very unclear. 

Backpacker

[ New ]

Yes, Legacy software means the software is no longer supported by GoPro and no fixes, patches or improvements will be made to the software. 

GoPro Quik was pretty terrible software, it also did not support Gauges (GPS features) for the Hero 8.  GoPro have been working in the background on new Windows software to replace Quik (Mural at last name check).  Because they are working on new software it makes no sense to have a team of programers working on older software and providing updates when it's going to be replaced.  Hence they delisted "Quik" due to fact it's no longer supported and there won't be any changes made to it.

There is no window for the new software however it was mentioned before that it was finished.  So the delay could mean that they are finalizing the software (trouble shooting bugs etc) or they are incorporating new features that were not originally planned and this is extending the timeline.  Or it could mean the new software is buggy as hell and it was all scrapped and they are going back to the drawing board.

It would be nice if GoPro would tell us when to expect the new software but the last update was "coming soon".

Tourist

[ New ]

Thanks for the information... it is very disappointing to find that even the basic facilities of the Hero 8 aren't supported under Windows by the manufacturer and all the glossy promotion of Quik that I have seen doesn't make the issue clear enough in my opinion. I have to accept some responsibility of course for not researching both important facts that a) not only is Quik for Windows legacy but that b) it doesn't support Hero 8. Very remiss of me not to be able to discover this until after the device has been purchased ;-)

I don't have the option of ios or android apps as I only have a "legacy" iphone. I would be better off exchanging the Hero 8 for the earlier Hero 7 but I doubt this is possible as I've been struggling with this since May. It is cheaper to pick up a Hero 7 than to upgrade any of the other hardware, maybe this is what GoPro intended all along and will releae the new software once all stocks of the 7 have been removed from the shelves by frustrated Windows users.

Not a great experience.

Backpacker

[ New ]

So a couple of points:

1:  GoPro always considered itself to be a camera maker, not a software company.  Hence they pushed hardware more than their (rather basic and limited) software.  Not a great move and one they are currently in the midst of correcting.  Took a few years but now they realize that the future of the company is in the software support.

2:  Glossy promotion of Quik?  They stopped promoting that a long time ago, they only promote their app (which is really rather good nowdays) at this point. Quik should be (and has been) dragged out behind the barn and put out of everyone else's misery (sorry GoPro, but really.......... ouch!).

3:  Time to upgrade your phone or even get a tablet.  I use an Samsung tablet (wifi only) and can run the GoPro app on it.  Even works with my Fusions, so I'm pretty happy with that. 

4:  Even if you bought a GoPro Hero 7 (and don't, just don't!) what would you edit video on?  You only have a legacy phone, and Quik is no longer being updated, so one patch rollout for your O/S and it could be bricked.  You're back in the exact same position as you are now only using an older outdated camera.

Here's your solutions:

1:  Use the GoPro Hero 8, it's a pretty amazing camera when used right and it's better than the Hero 7.

2:  Buy either a new phone (many providers allow you to get a free upgrade after 2 years) or buy a Samsung Tab S3 (or better).  It runs the GoPro app and it's far easier to edit video on a tablet than a phone anyway.

3:  Use DaVinci Resolve for editing your video's and getting them to look great.  It's great software, it's professional and it's free.

4:  If you want to add gauges, use either Dashware (it's free but old) or use RaceRender (free to use with a watermark or buy it for $50).  

5:  You can still use Quik if you want to, it's just that if you want to add gauges you'll have to use something like a telemetry extractor first.  There's an awesome guy who made some software that will do this:

https://goprotelemetryextractor.com/gopro-gps-not-working-hero8-quik   It's $50 and worth it if you enjoy the hell on earth that is Quik (again, sorry GoPro but seriously..............  bad.... bad bad....)

6:  Keep using Quik until GoPro releases it's new software.

7:  That's it!  End of list.

Tourist

[ New ]

Very happy to say that I found this thread *breore* pulled the trigger to buy a new camera.  Considering how long this has been going on, I now can safely say I will stick with my 5, will skip buying the 8 even if it is what I need, and will watch to see what happens this winter.  If there is no improvement before the 2021 season starts, Ill likely just go with the competition instead.

A product is only as good as its ecosystem and a vendor is only as good as its last product.

Tourist

[ New ]

I laughed .. :facepalm:

placed your trust in an app to manage your sync and see it abandoned before the release of the next ...

guys, really ...  just make an editing tool if the reliability is so low, not a content manager ... 2 or 3 soft in 8 gopro seriously ...

we have to wait for the macos migration to use the ios apps i think ... :)

or just leave gopo soft .. 

it's really a good product, but os and ecosystem stability are also important

Hiker

[ New ]

One of the reason I bought the gph 8 because there is desktop software to put gauge on the footage, you guys on the gopro lab supposed to work harder to release the new desktop app that fully support (gauge) on gph 8, Thx

Nomad

[ New ]

Here are some alternatives if you want to add gauges on a computer https://community.gopro.com/t5/GoPro-Telemetry-GPS-overlays/GoPro-Telemetry-Resources-software/gpm-p...