Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
GoPro Apps for Desktop
Highlighted
Sightseer

VTDecoderXPCService chewing up my CPU, can barely edit

I'm barely able to edit my footage on the Mac GoPro Player App. Even when I'm playing on super low res, footage is VERY choppy and the fans are on full blast. 

I'm running a 15" macbook pro with 16gb of RAM so this shouldn't happen

Highlighted
GoPro

Re: VTDecoderXPCService chewing up my CPU, can barely edit

Hello, @minksters. There are troubleshooting steps here for you to try. Let us know how it works out. Thanks!

Highlighted
GoPro

Download gfxCardStatus, and switch your GPU to discrete.  Your CPU is doing all the decoding, and your GPU isn't.  VTDecoderXPCService is Apple's built in decoder.   

Highlighted
Sightseer

So neither option didn't really work. Plus I don't want to downgrade my footage quality. What's the deal here? I've got a top of the line macbook pro with 16gb ram and I can't even edit my footage
Highlighted
Sightseer

Thanks, that improved it but still running into the same issue, albeit with less chop. Any idea why this is only happening with me?
Highlighted
GoPro

I would make sure you are on the latest version of macOS 10.15.3 and making sure your system isn't running anything else in the background that you might not be aware of.   I have the same machine and it runs perfectly smooth. 

You can also put the GoPro Player into debug mode:

Open the Terminal application located in /Applications/Utilities/ and type:

defaults write com.gopro.GoPro-Player GPDebug true 

This will enable a new Debug menu where you can select the graphics card.   As long as the graphics card matches what gfxCardStatus says it should run smoothly.  

Also make sure the .360 file is on your SSD, and you are not running it from an SD card.  

If worst comes to worst you might want to back up your machine and do a clean install of macOS. 

Highlighted
Sightseer

Still struggling here, not sure what to do anymore. I'm running the latest version of everything. Reinstalling my OS doesn't sound like it'll solve anything, nor is it an ideal option. 

Thanks for the help, starting to regret this cam purchase big time. totally disappointed in GoPro support as well