Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
GoPro Apps for Desktop
Highlighted
Tourist

Using Quik to grab photos results in poor quality photos

I hope that someone can help me. I shot lots of short video clips with my HERO5 on holiday and am now trying to extract photos from some of them. I noticed that the extracted photos were looking a bit rubbish, (whereas the video looks crystal clear), and then when I view the size of the photos they're all really small - in the region of just a few hundred kb. 

I realise that this is almost certainly user error but I've searched and cannot find anything about this and also can't see where I can change the quality of the extracted photo. The videos were shot at max resolution/frames per second etc. 

Thank you so much for any advice/help :) 

GoPro Community Manager

Re: Using Quik to grab photos results in poor quality photos

@andysm - Here's the process (and results) that I use to grab an image from a video. For reference, the shot below is a pull from a video shot on the HERO6 Black that was shooting at 2.7K/60, but the process is the same with the HERO5 or any other GoPro camera when using Quik.

1. Make sure the original video is loaded into Quick for Desktop.

Screen Shot 2017-10-03 at 4.22.44 PM.png

2. Double-click on the clip and find the moment you want to get an image of.

Screen Shot 2017-10-03 at 4.25.02 PM.png

3. Click on the Grab a Photo icon (third from the left) at the bottom of the screen.

Screen Shot 2017-10-03 at 4.28.33 PM.png

4. Name the photo and click save.

Screen Shot 2017-10-03 at 4.29.51 PM.png

The photo is now saved with your source file. In my case, this image saved as a 2704x1520 jpg that is 2.3MB.

GH010080.jpg

I hope that helps.

Jeff

Sightseer

Is it possible to grab high resolution images from a video in the app, or do I have to install win10 in order to run Studio on my pc?

Sightseer

Did you manage to solve the problem (mine as well)? I'm desperatly seeking answers on how to grab high res images via the app...
Tourist

The grab feature worked fine until yesterday and now the file size is only 167kb? How can I resolve it ;-)

Tourist

An example

AB7103D12B1DBDAFA46B41A082C54D8E.jpg
GoPro

Hi @toots1234

We are not certain as to why the photo has this quality. Have you tried using a different clip/ video file? I have made several test recordings and used the grab photo option on Quik. If you are using the GoPro App, I have noticed that it's best to save the video first before grabbing photos.

Regards,

Ej

Tourist

Thanks Ej

I spent several hours trying to find a solution and then tried a down load onto an iPad. I think it was my galaxy tablet A whose memory was fairly full changing the file size although there doesn't appear to be any settings that I can change.

Alan