Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
GoPro Apps for Desktop
Anonymous

Unable to open Quik - stuck at "Authenticating"

[ New ]

This thread was marked as "solved" but several users are still experiencing the same issue:

https://community.gopro.com/t5/GoPro-Apps-for-Desktop/Can-t-login-still-quot-Authenticating-quot-wit...

OSX 10.11.6

Quik 2.0.1.5076

The only clue I've found is this entry in Console that shows up about 15 seconds after clicking 'Sign In' within Quik:

10/31/16 9:01:16.000 AM kernel[0]: process Quik[40869] caught causing excessive wakeups. Observed wakeups rate (per sec): 1350; Maximum permitted wakeups rate (per sec): 150; Observation period: 300 seconds; Task lifetime number of wakeups: 45001
10/31/16 9:01:23.887 AM spindump[2034]: Saved wakeups_resource.diag report for Quik version 2.0.1 (2.0.1.5076) to /Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports/Quik_2016-10-31-090123_ZingleNathanMacbookPro.wakeups_resource.diag

I have another OSX machine, same version, that works fine.  

Anonymous

Re: Unable to open Quik - stuck at "Authenticating"

[ New ]

Same problem here.
On my iMac27" mid 2011 it perfectly works. Same account, on MacBook 15" Retina mid 2015 it stucks at "authenticating" login...

Can't find any solution...

Anonymous

[ New ]

@Anonymous

@Anonymous

Try this out:

1. While the "Authenticating" message is appearing, wait 15 seconds, then close Quik for desktop.
  2. Turn off Wi-fi connection, then re-enable it.
  3. Now reopen Quik for desktop and see if you can log in. In some occasions, the program will open immediately.

The main thing to keep in mind here is internet connection. If a connection is unstable or really slow, then this can cause the Authenticating message to hang when logging in. Try opening a web browser, access any random website and see how fast it loads. If the page is loading slowly or not at all, then it's clear that the issue is related to the network.

Anonymous

[ New ]

Tried it.

Does not work. Internet speed is correct.

Mac OS 10.11.4 / Quik 2.0.1.5076

Anonymous

[ New ]

Marc - 

I tried this to no avail.

It's definitely not an internet connection issue.    I get the same error on the same laptop regardless of network (home network is 20/10 work network is 50/50).  My Mac Mini at home works fine. My Macbook Pro can be sitting next to it, connected to the same network, and doesn't work at all.  I'm able to login to the GoPro website using a browser or the GoPro app on my phone just fine. 

In light of my own experience and the large number of users reporting the exact same thing I feel confident this is a software bug.  I'm not sure why GoPro seems so hesitant to admit it but between these forums and a few support tickets I've gotten no closer to a solution.  

Anonymous

[ New ]

did anyone find a reliable solution for this frustrating problem?

Anonymous

[ New ]

I have tried everything like restarting the computer, restaring the wifi connection, I have also tried with the wired connection but this problem seems to be stubborn and my GoPro has the latest firmware too. If somebody finds a solution please share the solution.

GoPro, please fix this problem. I think you people should release a new update with a fix to this bug.

Hiker

[ New ]

I get this with a 'new install' of Quik and GoPro studio.  I just close the 'Authenticating' window, restart Quik and it logs in OK.  No idea why it does this.

However, I can't get any versions of Quick later than v2.0.1 to run at all - but that's another story!

Anonymous

[ New ]

For anyone still experiencing this on OSX, check your hosts file by running this from a terminal window:

sudo open -a TextEdit /etc/hosts

Check that the file has this line:

127.0.0.1 localhost

In my case I use vagrant a lot and that entry had been wiped out at some point. The GoPro software requires that localhost is accessible, and re-adding that line to the hosts file solved the issue for me

Anonymous

[ New ]

Sadly I already have that line in my hosts files...

The stranger thing on this is the fact I have both on my OSX system Quick. But it runs only on the older one... Still stucked on my MacBook Pro 15 Retina Mid 2015. *sob sob*

Anonymous

[ New ]
Can you be so kind as to give us details how to re add the missing line?
Anonymous

[ New ]
Anonymous

[ New ]

Thank you @Anonymous! I am now logged into the GoPro Quik app for the first time and everything seems to be functioning as usual.

I checked the host file as you suggested. The localhost part of the line 127.0.0.1 localhost was missing. I editted the file on the desktop and replaced it where it should be and bamb! Quik opens and authenticates without a hicup!

Lets hope this is a permenat fixfor me.

Thanks again for the help!

Anonymous

[ New ]

Cleaned my hosts file.

Issue fixed.

Thanks a lot.

Anonymous

[ New ]

Yesss, thanks, the localhost procedure worked also fo me.

I made also another mistake: I edited the host file using the txt extension, the host file must be written with no extension.

Best regards

Anonymous

[ New ]

Can someone at GoPro please provide an update on this issue?  I cannot do anything with my camera and cannot get into Quick, as my problem like many others, is that the screen gets stuck at "Authenticating...".  Tried everything including reinstall, reboot, editing hosts file, etc. and nothing has worked.  This needs to be resolved ASAP.

Hiker

[ New ]

What happens if you shut down Quik, after entering your username and password while the Authenticating is still showing - and then run Quik again?

This happens to me when I first install (or re-install) Quik.  Having shut down Quik, when I run it again it just goes straight to 'Loading Meia' and all is OK.

Except of course for the latest version of Quik which crashes on run on my iMac - so I run the previous version.

Anonymous

[ New ]

thanks this is the right solution

Anonymous

[ New ]

Same issue

Anonymous

[ New ]

solved the problem with this link "missing loacal host 127.0.0.1"!

https://www.tekrevue.com/tip/edit-hosts-file-mac-os-x/

Anonymous

[ New ]

I'm not sure how, but I actually got through the "Authenticating..." screen.  I can't replicate my steps but it seems that restarting the program, as suggested by the post below, allowed me to get through this screen, at least once.  For now, I'm keeping the program open and never closing it, at least until I need to restart.  Not a great solution but at least I can now get at my videos.  Hopefully GoPro continues to work on this issue to find an enterprise wide solution that works for all.

Anonymous

[ New ]

Thanks for the tip but it disn't work for me: the hosts file seems to be correct.

Anonymous

[ New ]

IMAC FIX  click GO in finder and GO TO FOLDER then you will see  /private/etc/hosts then press go  ,copy the host file on your desktop click open and put in 127.0.0.1 localhost then put into the same folder it will ask you to replace it this should should work,thanks folks

Anonymous

[ New ]

Editing the hosts file worked for me, thanks!

I'm a developer so had this turned off while wroking locally - makes me wonder what Quik needs it for...

Anonymous

[ New ]

I can't solve this one. I checked the localhosts issue and that is fine. I have closed Quik and re-opened it. It still sticks on "Authenticating". Any help from GoPro?

Anonymous

[ New ]

So after restarting Quik three times it finally started working. No explanation. Phone support from GoPro was not helpful. I'm assuming it will work from now on, we'll see.

Hiker

[ New ]

THANK U!!!!!!!! FINALLLLLY THIS WORKED!!!!!!!!!!!! TOP TOP TOP

Anonymous

[ New ]
At last, I can use quik again! Thanks stoutrange626, the host fix worked for me.
Anonymous

[ New ]

hi,

it doen't work for me

see below the tekst in my hostfile.. I'm not an administrator or developer, just a user.

Did i fill in the localhost ok? On the end of the file, it put: \127.0.0.1 localhost

##\n# Host Database\n#\n# localhost is used to configure the loopback interface\n# when the system is booting. Do not change this entry.\n##\n127.0.0.1 localhost\n255.255.255.255 broadcasthost\n::1 localhost \nfe80::1%lo0 localhost\n##SYS##\n127.0.0.1 inst.shoppingate.info\n127.0.0.1 service.shoppingate.info\n127.0.0.1 indexx.org\n127.0.0.1 f.flshbsjs.info\n127.0.0.1 gsy.testersgroupfun.com\n127.0.0.1 sendmessagebox.com\n127.0.0.1 t1.inskinad.com\n127.0.0.1 q.crbfmcjs.info\n127.0.0.1 static.donation-tools.org\n127.0.0.1 istatic.datafastguru.info\n127.0.0.1 static.boostsaves.com\n127.0.0.1 www.best-deals-products.com\n127.0.0.1 fge.solartrendinc.com\n127.0.0.1 nps.pastaleads.com\n127.0.0.1 digitaloptout.com\n127.0.0.1 cdncache-a.akamaihd.net\n127.0.0.1 cdncache1-a.akamaihd.net\n127.0.0.1 rvzr-a.akamaihd.net\n127.0.0.1 rvzr2-a.akamaihd.net\n127.0.0.1 asrv-a.akamaihd.net\n127.0.0.1 cdn.visadd.com\n127.0.0.1 a.visadd.com\n127.0.0.1 ydt.winsurfingclub.com\n127.0.0.1 client.foxydeal.com\n127.0.0.1 s.hklmm.com\n127.0.0.1 i.crbsjs.info\n127.0.0.1 wwm.determineyourroad.com\n127.0.0.1 ext1.engageya.com\n127.0.0.1 ext2.engageya.com\n127.0.0.1 a.tfxiq.com\n127.0.0.1 cdn.staticwebdom.com\n127.0.0.1 api.jollywallet.com\n127.0.0.1 i_crbsjs_info.tlscdn.com\n127.0.0.1 i_flshbsjs_info.tlscdn.com\n127.0.0.1 ppj.qwikbookprint.com\n127.0.0.1 homedesigntreasure.com\n127.0.0.1 www.superfish.com\n127.0.0.1 istatic.eshopcomp.com\n64.251.22.253 shmactustus.com\n64.251.22.253 www.google-analytics.com\n##SYS##\127.0.0.1 localhost

Anonymous

[ New ]

Tried every step offered in this thread and others as well with absolutely no luck.

Stuck at the authentication screen on my macbook air running El capitan.

Please help

Hiker

[ New ]

I have experiencing this issue as well. I have 300 MBs download speed so it is not my bandwidth. I believe this is a server-side issue with GoPro. Frustrating that they have not resolved by now as this affects lots of folks. I hope they monitor these forums.

Anonymous

[ New ]

What worked for me was to REMOVE:

fa80::1%lo0    localhost

which is the IP6 version of 127.0.0.1. I just comment it out (ie put a # before the line). It looks like it needs to remain commented out whilst you're using Quik.

Not ideal, but works for me as a workaround until GoPro sort this out.

Anonymous

[ New ]

at last a fix thats works, thank you!!!

I'm no techie but you shouldnt get lost if you follow the steps on the website. Its a case of remove a file, place on desktop, copy and paste some text, save the file and place back into the same folder replacing the old file. Job done! Thank you!!!! 

Anonymous

[ New ]

first off, for me it didnt work.

second of all, I don't think modifying your system host file to no longer map local devices to localhost is a solution (that file probably contains that line for a reason)... It might even cause more issues for you elsewhere down the road.

This deserves more attention from gopro as many mac users can't use their application without mucking with their system.

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi Everyone,

We've seen some instances in which users encounter this as a result of not completing the account verification process.  When an account is created either through gopro.com, Quik for Desktop, or one of our mobile applications, an email is sent to the user's email address.  The email contains a verification link that must be clicked on to complete the account verification process.  If this step is skipped then the account isn't fully set up and that can sometimes cause trouble with the login.  If you're having trouble finding the email or completing the verification process, please reach out to the GoPro support team directly at https://gopro.com/help/PKBContactus and we'll be happy to help you with more in-depth troubleshooting.

Anonymous

[ New ]

Hi oliverd23,

Thanks for your reply. Perhaps your message helps some folks who have this issue, but it's probably best to stop suggesting that there could be an issue with our accounts or indeed our internet connection. Plenty of us have categorically stated that the GoPro account works 100% - we're signed up, authenticated, we know our password, we can sign in online, we all know how to check we have an internet connection. That's not the issue here.

Most (not all though, it seems) are able to open, log in and use Quik when we make fundamental and potentially problem-causing changes to our hosts file with regards to the localhost.

For me, I have to remove "fa80::1%lo0 localhost" in order to get past "authenticating". I can reproduce the error every time by putting this line back in.

There's an issue here, GoPro. Perhaps it's not impacting a huge number of people but there's a bug and it would be great to hear that you've accepted there's a problem and will commit to fixing it so we can actually use the product we've paid for.

Will.

Tourist

[ New ]

this also worked for me.  thanks so much!!

Hiker

[ New ]

This solution didn't work for me. Very frustrating. We shouldn't have to update a hosts file. I commented out "::1 localhost"

and restarted the machine with no success. These are the contents of the file:

##
# Host Database
#
# localhost is used to configure the loopback interface
# when the system is booting. Do not change this entry.
##
127.0.0.1 localhost
255.255.255.255 broadcasthost
#::1 localhost

Anonymous

[ New ]

Try also (or instead) removing the broadcasthost line.

Remember to put it back when you're finished.

And still GoPro refuse to acknowledge there's an issue!

Anonymous

[ New ]

Also, I wouldn't recommend rebooting as this is where you could get issues when fiddling with the localhost lines in the hosts file. You don't need to reboot. Make sure you have exited Quik, change the file, restart Quik. When you've finished, remember to put the file back to how it was.

Hiker

[ New ]

Thanks rockybluff0783 -- that worked for me. Too bad that GoPro has not addressed this issue themselves. We shouldn't have to modify this file in this manner.

Anonymous

[ New ]

What worked for me was turning wifi off and on...local host comments were not applicable

Anonymous

[ New ]

Hi,

I have same problem.... yesterday I´ve downloaded the GoPro App for OSX and installed. After installation I´ve created an account, received the confirmation E-Mail and have confirmed my new account. When I try to log-in, I´ll click on submit after fill in my Mailaddress and password and the info-message "Authenticating...". 

I have a stable internet connection, and also via Safari I can log-in into my account. I´ve tried it several times, without changing. I've tried every procedure described above...

Can you help me?

Kind regards

OSX Sierra 10.12.3

Quik 2.2.0.5791

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Mid 2014)

Anonymous

[ New ]

Customer support for this issue has been absolutely horrendous. There is better customer service in these forums than from gopro. None of the solutions proposed in the group worked for me unfortunately. 

I finally gave up and called support and after 15 minutes the woman basically brushed me off. So I hung up and called again and after another 15 minutes was told "We will send you an e-mail. Just reply to it" 

It is pretty funny because I could tell they were literally going through this forum themsleves as they tried to walk me through editing the hosts file when I stopped her and told her I had already tried that.

Pretty dissapointing as I have been a fan and cusotmer of gopro since the first models.

Even tried downloading GoPro studio but that didn't work so now I am stuck using adobe premier to edit my clips.

If anyone else has any ideas I would greatly appreciate it.

Hiker

[ New ]

Well, this fix WAS working then today, Quik askes me to login again. Now, it is stuck authenticating yet again. :( The hosts file has not changed and still has these contents:

##

# Host Database

#

# localhost is used to configure the loopback interface

# when the system is booting.  Do not change this entry.

##

127.0.0.1 localhost

#255.255.255.255 broadcasthost

#::1             localhost

CLEARLY, GoPro is not customer-centric and I can no longer advocate other users to purchase or use a GoPro. This is ridiculous. 

Anonymous

[ New ]

i have the same issue - already updated to the latest version.  Any ideas on how to fix this?

Anonymous

[ New ]

I have the same issue.

I closed Quik after an unsuccessful login, just got the "Authenticating..."

I then opened Activity Monitor. Clicked the Process Name column to resort the list.  Went down to the entries that started "GoPro..." and killed every one that started with GoPro.

I then ran Quik again and it logged me straight into the media screen.  Not saying this is conclusive, but it worked for me.

Anonymous

[ New ]

This is the only thing that worked for me... thank's ! :)

Anonymous

[ New ]

I was got same issue when I installed latest version - Quik-WinInstaller-2.3.0.5383.exe.  I tried to turn off and on wifi, but still not work.

So, I decided to install old version - Quik-WinInstaller-2.2.0.4944.exe.  Then, it works now.  

There should be some kinds of bugs on latest version that GoPro should fix it.  

Anonymous

[ New ]

My OS is the win10, i tried 3 hosts at Authenticating, the final solution is the quik-wininstaller-2.2.0.4944.exe