Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Find a solution. Share a solution. Ask a question. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
GoPro Apps for Desktop
Tourist

Re: Unable to open Quik - stuck at "Authenticating"

For anyone still experiencing this on OSX, check your hosts file by running this from a terminal window:

sudo open -a TextEdit /etc/hosts

Check that the file has this line:

127.0.0.1 localhost

In my case I use vagrant a lot and that entry had been wiped out at some point. The GoPro software requires that localhost is accessible, and re-adding that line to the hosts file solved the issue for me

Sightseer

[ Edited ]

Sadly I already have that line in my hosts files...

The stranger thing on this is the fact I have both on my OSX system Quick. But it runs only on the older one... Still stucked on my MacBook Pro 15 Retina Mid 2015. *sob sob*

Tourist

Can you be so kind as to give us details how to re add the missing line?
Tourist

Tourist

Thank you @nathanj81332! I am now logged into the GoPro Quik app for the first time and everything seems to be functioning as usual.

I checked the host file as you suggested. The localhost part of the line 127.0.0.1 localhost was missing. I editted the file on the desktop and replaced it where it should be and bamb! Quik opens and authenticates without a hicup!

Lets hope this is a permenat fixfor me.

Thanks again for the help!

Tourist

Cleaned my hosts file.

Issue fixed.

Thanks a lot.

Sightseer

Yesss, thanks, the localhost procedure worked also fo me.

I made also another mistake: I edited the host file using the txt extension, the host file must be written with no extension.

Best regards

Sightseer

Can someone at GoPro please provide an update on this issue?  I cannot do anything with my camera and cannot get into Quick, as my problem like many others, is that the screen gets stuck at "Authenticating...".  Tried everything including reinstall, reboot, editing hosts file, etc. and nothing has worked.  This needs to be resolved ASAP.