Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
GoPro Apps for Desktop
Highlighted
Tourist

Re: Unable to open Quik - stuck at "Authenticating"

I'm running windows 10 right now, and it took me a while to figure this out. I waited for forever for the "Authenticating" message to dissapear, and it never did. So i went into register, and used the same email adress as my gopro account. It then prompted me to log in or change my password, so I chose to log in, and it worked.

Hope it helps

Highlighted
Tourist

Is there anyone from GO Pro that can solve the  authenticating Hang, my host file is correct, (should never have to change it just to authenticate anyway), I am using a current IMac and my internet is fully functional, (is that  even a valid reason), I have stopped recommending Go Pro to my active circle unti this is resolved. Many adjectives work, but unacceptable seems the most fitting.

Highlighted
Hiker

I COMPLETELY AGREE with you Peter!

Highlighted
Anonymous

I was able to resolve this on my local machine by adding the following back to my /etc/hosts file:

127.0.0.1  localhost

It appears that it had been removed by my work VPN client.

Highlighted
Tourist

I posted this on Monday and today is Saturday, again GO PRO my host file is correct, and my internet in working, again I cannot authenticate upon log in. Please do what other software programmers do and undertake a study of the COMMON PROBLEM on this form and set up a work group with a project manager and develop a solution. A real solution. I will continue to add to this form unitl I see a resolution of what is clearly a more ubiquitous problem than you are willing to acknowledge, heck it has only been 18 months.

Highlighted
Tourist

From what I doscovered on my mac and posted previously, my solution works each time. I created an executable for a killall in the terminal that shuts down every pprocess with GoPro in the name.  I would guess that chagind and updating the hosts file would cause the local processes that refer to it to restart and let the application operate as expected, but since I started murdering the gopro processes all my data gets imported and  never have to login again.

My thought on this is that one of the child processes(definitely tied to authentication) running never shuts down and leaves your session in limbo,

On a pc, pull up the task manager before plugging your camera in and see if there's any gp process running, if there are, kill them,  Then plug in your camera or card reader and see what happens.

I believe the localhost file update thing is just doing a local cache flush, but I've only been doing tech work for ever :)

Highlighted
Sightseer

Same problem here. Work around is importing the GoPro clips using Photos on Mac and editting the clips on GoPro Studio.

Zul

Highlighted
Sightseer

I had this problem, found my antivirus/ firewall was blocking this app from seeing the internet.

k