Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
GoPro Apps for Desktop
Highlighted
Sightseer

Re: Unable to open Quik - stuck at "Authenticating"

This is the solution:

Hey All -  google 'change my host file' for your platform - but this worked for me on Mac OSX 10.13.2

open your 'hosts' file in terminal, using sudo. Its in    /private/etc/

add a new line following any lines that are there

127.0.0.1       localhost

writeout/save, exit.   quit the Qik app and try again.  Worked for me.

Highlighted
Tourist

Thanks for that. 

If the sollution to not being able to login is to learn how to edit a host file and clear the DNS cache every time then it's not really a sollution, in my opinion. More of a workaround and more hassle than it's worth.

Seems to me a real solution would be to have an offline version of the software but maybe I'm missing the point of the whole GoPro universe where instant sharing is so essential.

I think I'll pass.

Highlighted
Sightseer

Hey GoPro, I logged into your website to post this message, yet, I cannot log into your app and it's constantly stuck a "Authenticating".

Looks like this has been around for years.  I just downloaded the latest version, still doesn't work.

Clearly the app has been discontinued and there's no more development, so, what do you recommend as a suitable alternative?

Highlighted
GoPro

Hello @alternativemind

The Quik app has not been discontinued. Which computer operating system do you have? Have you been able to try out the suggested steps to fix on this thread? Should you need a more personalized support, as this maybe related to particular settings on your computer, you can get in touch with our Support team. Their contact information is found here:  https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs

Alternatively, you can manually import your GoPro media to your computer using an SD card adapter. For editing, you can use VSDC for Windows or iMOvie for Mac. Other Hub members also recommend other free editing options here. If you would like to edit using a mobile device, you can use Splice or Quik for mobile . 

Feel free to post back for any other questions or concerns. 

Best regards, 
Marius

Highlighted
Tourist

Обращение в поддержку абсолютно безполезно. В лучшем случае просят прислать лог и на этом закрывают дело. Обращался дважды, результат тот же https://youtu.be/SrLaJx9icR0

Предлагать бесплатные редакторы, которые работают мягко говря неудовлетворительно, это верх некомпетентности.

В связи с кражей камеры GoPro и учитывая отсутсвие работающего программного ообеспечения от производителя для своих камер, решил приобрести Garmin VIRB Ultra 30 и забыть про ваш Quik.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
Highlighted
Sightseer

[ Edited ]

Steps to fix the Quik Authenticating.. bug:

1. Make sure /etc/hosts has

127.0.0.1 localhost

2. Make sure /etc/hosts doesn't have anything else but the above defined for localhost. For example, remove or comment out

::1 localhost

3. Kill all Quik processes from the terminal with

pkill -f '.*GoPro.*'

4. Turn the WIFI off and on again
5. Open Quik app

Highlighted
Tourist

I found the "hosts" file but I was unable to copy it to my desktop.  Is there another way to get it to copy over?

Highlighted
Tourist

Re: Не удается открыть Quik - застрял на «Authenticating»

works