Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
GoPro Apps for Desktop
Anonymous

Re: Unable to open Quik - stuck at "Authenticating"

[ New ]

sorry i have no idea can you send me the link with the description again please?

Anonymous

[ New ]

page 11, message 88.

Anonymous

[ New ]

not working. i can do what i want... :(((

Anonymous

[ New ]

@Anonymous wrote:

I keep seeing messages about "slow internet connection" etc.  However, despite being on a machine with a 10Gbps connection (and able to sync GByte files to cloud storage in seconds), I have the same issue. I have upgraded to GoPro Quick to the latest version, I have tried creating new accounts (also hangs), I have tried turning wifi on an off, and all the other stuff being suggested. 

No luck. Also, no other software require me to jump through these hoops. 

My conclusion is that GoPro software is broken. And since the problem has now been reported over and over for a year with no effect, it appears GoPro has little interest in solving the problem. 

The obvious soluion is to ignore the GoPro software.  Importing with Image Capture works fine on the Mac (with no login - why would I even want a login to be able to import data from my own camera onto my own computer?).  Video viewing and editing is also available elsewhere.  I'm a bit miffed that GoPro won't deliver a working software - I have spent a good bit of money on several cameras over ther years - but life i too short for broken software.

I shared your frustration.  (message 84 page 11)  I'm not sure what happened but the GOPRO software started working again.  I'm working with Windows 10 and I can't even say it started working after an update.  I know it stopped working without any alterations to my computer.

It's nice to have the GOPRO software upload only new files to my computer and sort them into files by date.  I use videopad to edit video.

Anonymous

[ New ]

I'm stuck at Authenticating....

Anonymous

[ New ]

Thanks nathanj81332  the real solution! 

Anonymous

[ New ]

It is GoPro's fault. I doesn't need to connect to the Internet for a person to import their footage and modify them. Although the solutions above regard one occassional a Mac solution, it also affects PCs - it's on their server-side.

Highlighted
Anonymous

[ New ]
Mar 14
I'm stuck at Authenticating...
Anonymous

[ New ]

@Anonymouswrote:

Hey All -  google 'change my host file' for your platform - but this worked for me on Mac OSX 10.13.2

open your 'hosts' file in terminal, using sudo. Its in    /private/etc/

add a new line following any lines that are there

127.0.0.1       localhost

writeout/save, exit.   quit the Qik app and try again.  Worked for me.

Thanks @Anonymous ! it's works! 

Anonymous

[ New ]

adding '127.0.0.1 localhost' to hosts file worked for me too

Anonymous

[ New ]

Im remarkably frustrated! All I want to do is look at my photos!

GET YOUR **bleep** TOGETHER GOPRO!

Anonymous

[ New ]
works perfect! thanks!
GoPro

[ New ]

Hello @Anonymous, 

Have you been able to try the solution/s posted above? See if what worked with the others will clear out the issue on your end. Check out @Anonymous 's and @Anonymous 's posts on page 11. 

Thanks, 
Marius

Anonymous

[ New ]

Does anybody know how to resolve this stupid problem on Windows10??
Video of the problem: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pPf3Ix8hY8
I chatted with support 3 times and no result.

Anonymous

[ New ]

Принимая во внимание, что проблема существует с 2016 года на компъютерах с русскоязычной операционной системой и несмотря на многочисленные обращения ползователей и неоднократные общения со службой поддержки, можно предположить что это не ошибка программы, а её нормальная работа. В программе заложена дискриминация пользователей по национальному признаку, т.е. заблокирована работа русскоязычных пользователей.

Последняя работающая версия Quik-2.2.0.4944.

Taking into account that the problem exists since 2016 on computers with the Russian operating system and despite the numerous appeals of users and repeated communication with the support service, it can be assumed that this is not a program error, but its normal operation. The program includes discrimination of users on a national basis, i.e. the work of Russian-speaking users is blocked.

The latest working version of Quik is 2.2.0.4944.

https://youtu.be/RTd2vLe-Ysc

https://youtu.be/ixIRAerWQnA

https://youtu.be/COsrV0cYrwA

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
Anonymous

[ New ]

"it can be assumed that this is not a program error, but its normal operation"

You are being ridiculous. It's a worldwide issue at the server level. It's not a problem only encountered by Russians.

Anonymous

[ New ]

it wasn't serious about Russians. But for more than a year, the only sane answer was the following:

Hi Mikhail,

Good day! This is a follow up on your recent contact with us.

We are currently looking into the issue with our developers. [edit: link to expired software]

Hope this helps as a workaround for you.

Should you have additional questions or concerns, please feel free to reach us back.

Many Thanks,

GoPro Support
gopro.com/help

Anonymous

[ New ]

"it wasn't serious about Russians."

Well, nobody is psychic. I can't tell that unless you say so or use the appropriate emojis.

Anonymous

[ New ]
Thank you so much for the workaround! It works!
Anonymous

[ New ]

Got the same issue here, i just cant login anymore. Stuck at Authenticating and im from germany..

Anonymous

[ New ]

Same issue with the newest version on a mac. i am from austria

GoPro

[ New ]

Hello @Anonymous and @Anonymous, 

Sorry to hear about the issue you are experiencing with Quik. There is an updated version of the app that was just released (v2.6.2).  This new version has a "Restart with default settings" under the Menu>Help tab that should clear out the issue. 

See if updating to the latest version will give you this option. Let us know how it goes. 

Thanks, 
Marius

Anonymous

[ New ]

Hi Marius

thanks for your reply. Your Tip did not help. any other ideas?

thanks

Werner

GoPro

[ New ]

Thank you for the update, @Anonymous. To verify, were you able to perform the steps as below?

1 Open Quik for desktop
2 While on the login screen, select the “Help” tab above the Quik for desktop window
3 Select “Restart with default settings”
4 A modal will appear saying “Are you sure?“. Click “Restart” once more.
5 Quik for desktop will close and reopen. Quik for desktop will appear as if you installed it for the first time.
6 Go to the login screen and input your credentials. You should then be able to login successfully. 

Will wait for an update from you. 

Many thanks, 
Marius

Anonymous

[ New ]

Hi Maruis

I have tried exactly the steps you described but still having the same problems afterwords. I have also tried to logon with my facebook account with the same result.

thanks

Werner

GoPro

[ New ]

Glad to hear back from you, @Anonymous. Thank you for the verification. I will forward this result to the team and will post updates once I hear back from them. Best regards!

Anonymous

[ New ]

I've got the same problem (I'm in London)

The first posts are from 2011, how is it possible that you have not fixed it yet?

Anonymous

[ New ]

I bought Hero 5 session yesterday and 2 hours i trying starting GoPro Quik and it stuck at "Authenticating"
I am very angry!

GoPro

[ New ]

Hello @Anonymous and @Anonymous, 

There are specific steps that our Support team can walk you through with depending on the specific parameters leading to the "authenticating" issue. If the recommended steps that resolved the issue for some do not work, it would be best to get in touch with Support. You can call or chat with them through https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs

Best regards, 
Marius

Anonymous

[ New ]

why its not solved from 2016..??

GoPro

[ New ]

Hello @Anonymous, 

There are already resolved cases for this issue but the resolutions vary depending on factors like computer system, and instances or conditions leading to the Authenticating issue. If you are still experiencing the same issue despite having the latest version of Quik for desktop on your computer (v2.6.2), and even after following suggested steps, our Support team here https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs will be able to walk you through additional steps. You can reach them via phone or chat. 

Thanks, 
Marius

Anonymous

[ New ]

The GoPro quick application is still stuck in authentication.  I have tried all the solutions, and I called your tech's as suggested spent several hours on the phone.  Guess what they couldn't fix the problem and created a case file on July 13.  I was told that your support would get back to me with a solution.  On July 27, I had to call because I hadn't heard anything.  Surprise when I spoke with tech support and supplied them with my case number there was still no update.  Now I have to tell you I spent close to a thousand dollars on GoPro equipment to find out that while the camera recording quality is excellent, the support app that controls all the updates is not working with no real answers on fixing the problem.  I have to manually update my camera which I have to tell you what a pain.  However, because I have a MAC, the Tech was unable to tell me how to update the karma grip manually.  Not to mention part of what people pay for when purchasing your equipment is an application that allows us to store and edit the video with ease and update our equipment.  If I had known that support for your device was so mind-blowingly awful, I would have purchased a different camera system.  I have an idea if you cannot fix the problems, please refund us so that we can spend our money with sony, cannon or Nikon.

Anonymous

[ New ]

The GoPro quick application is still stuck at authentication.  I have tried all the solutions, and I called your tech's as suggested spent several hours on the phone.  Guess what they couldn't fix the problem and created a case file on July 13.  I was told that your support would get back to me with a solution.  On July 27, I had to call because I hadn't heard anything.  Surprise when I spoke with tech support and supplied them with my case number there was still no update.  Now I have to tell you I spent close to a thousand dollars on GoPro equipment to find out that while the camera recording quality is excellent, the support app that controls all the updates is not working with no real answers on fixing the problem.  I have to manually update my camera which I have to tell you what a pain.  However, because I have a MAC, the Tech was unable to tell me how to update the karma grip manually.  Not to mention part of what people pay for when purchasing your equipment is an application that allows us to store and edit the video with ease and update our equipment.  If I had known that support for your device was so mind-blowingly awful, I would have purchased a different camera system.  I have an idea if you cannot fix the problems, please refund us so that we can spend our money with sony, cannon or Nikon.

GoPro

[ New ]

Hello @Anonymous, 

Sorry to hear about the trouble you experienced. You should be able to update the Karma Grip even if you are using a Mac computer, as long as you have the Quik for desktop app installed. The instructions are detailed here: https://gopro.com/help/articles/how_to/How-to-Update-the-Karma-Grip . See if you will be able to update your Karma Grip this time. 

As there is already a case established for your concern, you can provide the results to the representative who was assisting you in order to proceed to the next steps. If you have received an email from Support, you can reply to the email.

Thanks, 
Marius

Anonymous

[ New ]

I was having the same problems recently and didn't know why -- the localhost thing wasn't it, restarting it wasn't it.  Turns out, I turned off my wifi (I had both an ethernet and Wifi connection enabled -- don't ask) and only had the one network path and it worked fine.  So, perhaps some problems could be because of multiple routes to the internet and GoPro's auth methods not quite being resilient to that scenario.

Anonymous

[ New ]

Same problem here. No sollution yet. Absolutely ridiculous. Not at all stoked on GoPro software.

Since I haven't been able to launch the app I'm just wondering if I'll need to sign in every time it launches or is this just the initial one-off account verification? 

I'm in China and often switch ip addresses via vpn so I'm guessing I'll need to verify my account often, assuming I'm ever able to sign in the first place...

Anonymous

[ New ]

This is the solution:

Hey All -  google 'change my host file' for your platform - but this worked for me on Mac OSX 10.13.2

open your 'hosts' file in terminal, using sudo. Its in    /private/etc/

add a new line following any lines that are there

127.0.0.1       localhost

writeout/save, exit.   quit the Qik app and try again.  Worked for me.

Anonymous

[ New ]

Thanks for that. 

If the sollution to not being able to login is to learn how to edit a host file and clear the DNS cache every time then it's not really a sollution, in my opinion. More of a workaround and more hassle than it's worth.

Seems to me a real solution would be to have an offline version of the software but maybe I'm missing the point of the whole GoPro universe where instant sharing is so essential.

I think I'll pass.

Sightseer

[ New ]

Hey GoPro, I logged into your website to post this message, yet, I cannot log into your app and it's constantly stuck a "Authenticating".

Looks like this has been around for years.  I just downloaded the latest version, still doesn't work.

Clearly the app has been discontinued and there's no more development, so, what do you recommend as a suitable alternative?

GoPro

[ New ]

Hello @alternativemind

The Quik app has not been discontinued. Which computer operating system do you have? Have you been able to try out the suggested steps to fix on this thread? Should you need a more personalized support, as this maybe related to particular settings on your computer, you can get in touch with our Support team. Their contact information is found here:  https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs

Alternatively, you can manually import your GoPro media to your computer using an SD card adapter. For editing, you can use VSDC for Windows or iMOvie for Mac. Other Hub members also recommend other free editing options here. If you would like to edit using a mobile device, you can use Splice or Quik for mobile . 

Feel free to post back for any other questions or concerns. 

Best regards, 
Marius

Anonymous

[ New ]

Обращение в поддержку абсолютно безполезно. В лучшем случае просят прислать лог и на этом закрывают дело. Обращался дважды, результат тот же https://youtu.be/SrLaJx9icR0

Предлагать бесплатные редакторы, которые работают мягко говря неудовлетворительно, это верх некомпетентности.

В связи с кражей камеры GoPro и учитывая отсутсвие работающего программного ообеспечения от производителя для своих камер, решил приобрести Garmin VIRB Ultra 30 и забыть про ваш Quik.

Anonymous

[ New ]

Steps to fix the Quik Authenticating.. bug:

1. Make sure /etc/hosts has

127.0.0.1 localhost

2. Make sure /etc/hosts doesn't have anything else but the above defined for localhost. For example, remove or comment out

::1 localhost

3. Kill all Quik processes from the terminal with

pkill -f '.*GoPro.*'

4. Turn the WIFI off and on again
5. Open Quik app

Tourist

[ New ]

I found the "hosts" file but I was unable to copy it to my desktop.  Is there another way to get it to copy over?

Tourist

Re: Не удается открыть Quik - застрял на «Authenticating»

[ New ]

works

Tourist

[ New ]

Like many of you I have tried all the options above without a solution. In fact, Quik works on my 2013 MacBook Pro but not the brand new 2018 MacBook pro I bought this past week. The host files are identical. I cannot edit the videos on the old laptop, thus the upgrade.

I am attempting to contact customer service one more time tomorrow. I have spent nearly $1000 on GoPro products in the past month. They're not functional (as advertised) without the use of the Quik App.

Without a resolution. There are numerous users who have purchased these who are unable to edit them without their implicit software being function.

I will keep you updated.

Sightseer

[ New ]

Just wait until you finally manage to get it working and realize that they won't let you import anything other than GoPro footage, making you slam your head against the table on how horrific GoPro software is...