Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
GoPro Apps for Desktop
Highlighted
Sightseer

Re: Unable to add gauges in Quik using Hero 8 Black video file

Gents, has there been any response from GoPro officially??

Bought the hero 8 bundle, if I had have known that it wasn't working as good as the last model, I would have just bought a 7!!!
Highlighted
Tourist

Yes, the official response was "use the app" and that they'll fix it in the new version of the software which they can't give an ETA on.

Highlighted
Sightseer

Cheers for the update, was their response recent or was it a while back??
Highlighted
Hiker

@roadrash19 GoPro promised to fix it in the near future. That was said October November last year. Custumer satisfaction is not a high priority for GoPro. If you look a couple of post back you can find a link in one of my post to a topic where I am asking for a refund. So far no response from GoPro. 

There are two paid solutions that might work. There is racerender $60 and a free version which puts their ugly logo in view. Software is clunky and crasht. There is als a fix available that manipulates the metadata so that Quik can read the GPS from the mp4 files. Someone is actively selling this fix for $50 via these forums. Some seem to have had some luck with Garmin Virb Edit. You need to extract the gos metadata to a gpx file first. Garmin Virb Edit looks like an awesome software package. However when I open a GoPro video it states that it cannot play. 

short story pay $50-60 or use the software of the competitor. Go Pro doesn't really give a **bleep** unfortunately.

Highlighted
Sightseer

Same situation here, got my Hero 8 yesterday, took it out, got some footage, came home excited to see my speeds, etc only to find there is no option for 'gauges' and find this post.

Like others have mentioned, to be working on a fix for over 6 months is a joke, would have been sorted by now if they hadn't laid off so many staff Smiley Sad

Highlighted
Hiker

The only thing you can do (without paying out extra money) is to edit the footage in the actual GoPro app on your phone/ipad... hopefully you'll have enough space to do so.
Other than that, there's a chap on here selling a converter for £50 which will convert the GoPro 8 data to the older Hero 7 format and then Quik will recognise it.
Highlighted
Hiker

[ Edited ]

All potential customers should read this thread before paying for the GoPro products :) GoPro Quik ("Neodpovídá") means "Not responding". Users with AMD procs are unable to run this app :) On my macbook, there is no chance to use GPS data from the camera. Only if I pay 50Euro :-D

Clipboard01.jpg
Highlighted
Hiker

GAUGES WORKING!!!!!

1. DON'T USE GO PRO QUICK OR OTHER GO PRO SOFTWARE. This is of course the most important step Smiley LOL

2. Set the video compression setting on your GoPro Hero 8 black to most compatible (will output h264 instead of hevc).

2. Download Virb Edit from Garmin, available for Windows and Mac. This is the good stuff.

3. Use a card reader to transfer the files to your PC or Mac

4. Go to https://goprotelemetryextractor.com/free/. Upload your video files 1 by 1, and select as output format virb edit. Takes just 15s per file.

5. Import your video files in Virb Edit

6. Go To G-Metrix --> data --> Import G-Metris --> On my computer, there you can load the created gpx files.

7. Gauges and everything should be working perfectly.

Robot Happy

The workflow is somewhat convoluted but it is very doable. Virb edit should also work with hevc files but it doesn't work on my macbook for some reason. I haven't tried 4k content or > 60fps yet. Please update about the things we can get working.

It is pretty epic you need software from GoPro's major competitor to get it to work. Next time i ll seriously consider the Garmin camera's. The software just looks good to. That is what I want for an action cam.