Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
GoPro Apps for Desktop
Highlighted
Tourist

Re: Unable to add gauges in Quik using Hero 8 Black video file

Please let us know an ETA.

Highlighted
Nomad

At the moment GoPro seem to be focusing on the Windows app for reframing GoPro Max footage. Not sure if they will implement the gauges feature there or they will create a new separate GoPro App for desktop as was rumoured some weeks ago

Highlighted
Tourist

For those of you looking for a decent workflow to add GPS-based gauges to your GoPro video, here's an approach.  If you don't have a separate GPS/activity tracker, you may be able to extract the GoPro's built in data using available software on the internet and use that as your "G-Metrix" data file for Garmin VIRB Edit software.  I use my GoPro's for biking, so I'm always using a Garmin watch and/or bike computer to supply my metrics, then syncing that up to the GoPro footage using VIRB Edit.  Hope this helps or even gives you some ideas on how you might approach this.  

Step #NameDescriptionSoftware
1Import filesImport GoPro files from SD cards onto computer into separate directories for each cameraGoPro Quik
2Rename filesUsing the "Date Modified" attribute in Windows Explorer, rename files with sequential prefixes (1.1, 1.2, 2.1, etc) allowing you to see which files are actually part of the same continous sequence of video (since GoPro splits files to be under 4GB).  This will save you time and steps later esp. if your trying to sync GPS data from a separate device (e.g., Garmin) to provide overlay data.Windows Explorer
3Consolidate sequential filesUsing MP4Joiner, combine those files that are actually part of the same continuous sequence of video from the same GoPro into one file, which will further save you time having to sync GPS data to numerous files.MP4Joiner
4Add GPS overlaysUsing Garmin VIRB Edit, import all the consolidated files from one GoPro camera into a new project.  Import your GPS track and sync GPS to video and add your gauges and GPS data overlays.  Since VIRB doesn’t' support b-roll footage, you'll have to repeat this step for each camera's footage and sync them up later using other software. Garmin VIRB Edit
5Export new fileExport your editage footage (with GPS overlays), keeping the resolution and frame rate the same as the source input.  Repeat steps 4 and 5 for any other GoPro cameras that were filming the same activity.Garmin VIRB Edit
6Combine and edit footage from multiple camerasNow that you have a video track with GPS overlays for each GoPro you used, using video editing software that allows for multiple video "rolls", lay each GoPro's video out on a separate video timeline/roll and edit/cut/splice as you desire to cut down video length and/or change perspectives as desired.  Be sure to sync up the video from the separate cameras, using either a common visual, sound or time reference.  Movavi Video Suite
Highlighted
Tourist

That's a great work-around, but it also goes to show just how inconvenient a work-around is needed to provide a feature that we have PAID FOR and expect to work in the desktop software provided with the device.

I think GoPro should be making more of an effort to give an accurate timeline of when this feature is expected, or start providing compensation to customers who've paid for a feature they can't use - it's beginning to seem like they've no intention of fixing this until some new/different version of the software is released?

I don't think that's very acceptable personally, it should be being treated as a bug and fixed ASAP.

Highlighted
Tourist

I would so much rather have a new video editing app than improve the current one. I'm not a fan of the highlights and time limitations. 

Highlighted
Tourist

To be honest I've always found the GoPro software to be unusable, but I want a workflow on my desktop computer which quickly and simply extracts the GPS data and adds it as gauges as that's not something I can necessarily do easily with non-GoPro provided software.

The Garmin work-around is clunky, the extraction of data from the GoPro is a GoPro specific thing and the ability to use the gauges is something I paid for when I bought the GoPro, so I expect to be able to do it.

I don't think it's unreasonable for GoPro to support their own features with their own software - editing 4k video on a iOS device is not, in my opinion, an acceptable work-around for a bug in core functionality! :)

Highlighted
Tourist

I agree completely.  The Quik app doesn't seem to be designed with editing GoPro footage itself in a very meaningful way.  No easy was I see to combine the multiple files a continuous video stream outputs, obviously lacks ability to overaly the GPS data that is recorded to the video file itself, I'm not even sure it allows combining footage from multiple GoPro's to b- and c-roll for timeline consolidation, etc.  

Highlighted
Tourist

you know the amount of memory it takes on my phone to be able to have the stickers it takes, my workflow right now is:

-Copy clip from gopro to phone ( takes 30 min to 40 min depending the size of the clip.

- add the stickers in the GoPro app( couple of seconds)

- save the file ( an hour or so) 

- Send the file from my phone to my mac( another hour or more when it doesn't fail)

- add the video and work on the footage on the computer( vary)

- now render the video

this workaround takes not only a huge amount of space in my phone but even more time to do the same we did before in minutes!

please add a gopro app for desk that does this or fix the Quik app