Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
GoPro Apps for Desktop
Hiker

I couldn´t have said it better myself

[ New ]

I couldn´t have said it better myself so I´ll let this guy say it:
Original post on reddit: www.reddit.com/r/gopro/comments/frbu11/hero8_telemetry_data_not_compatible_with_gopros/

"HERO8 Telemetry Data Not Compatible with GoPro's Own Software!?!?

I bought a GoPro HERO8 to do motorcycle vlogging and made my first video today only to find out GoPro's Quik app for PC says "No GPS data". Not cool.

The telemetry data/stickers/gauges DO work in GoPros app for phones. But I want to use the desktop version. I like having a mouse and keyboard having my files on my computer with its very large hard drive, instead of trying to do everything on my phone and eating up its much more limited space. Plus using the GoPro app boots me off of WiFi and eats battery life. And adding the Telemetry gauges via the GoPro phone app then 'save to device' is miserably slow.

After doing some googling around, I see that A) GoPro HERO8 GPS data is parsed or coded or whatever different from the HERO7 and down models, making it incompatible with GoPro Quik for PC. and B) Quik for PC has an invisible 'threshold' where it decides recorded GPS data is too weak and it will disable Stickers/Gauges/Telemetry displays in Quik. I also see someone has made a Telemetry Extractor program that artificially amplifies the GPS data to trick Quik into allowing the use of the gauges or telemetry displays... and they want $50 for this software.

Here are my thoughts:

1. It is absolutely INSANE to me that GoPro's own freaking software won't work with the latest version of their own freaking product (HERO8)

2. Furthermore, its INSANE to me that GoPro, a multi-million dollar company with a full staff of programmers and product engineers will not update their software (Quik) to work with their latest and greatest product (HERO8), but ONE NORMAL PERSON by himself has made a program to fix GoPro's shortcomings... Again, this absolutely floors me.

3. If Quik perceives the GPS telemetry data of a file to be 'too weak', there should be an option to use it anyway, or amplify it like that randoms dudes $50 software. Using the free test version of the $50 Telemetry Extractor, I was able to see my telemetry data was all there and 100% accurate, making it that much more frustrating that GoPro's own software says "No GPS Data Available"

4. How the heck is GoPro perfectly fine with the Telemetry Extractor software existing? You would think they would be extremely embarrassed that some random person not affiliated with their company is making $50 to $200 a pop selling software to fix their lack of software support for their own product. When someone has to go buy 3rd party, unofficial software to make a $700 product work as advertised, that strikes me as a big black eye and source of embarrassment that they would want to fix. It's bad enough I had to buy a $80 media mod just so I could use a $10 freaking microphone in my helmet for my vlogs, but having to pay a random stranger on the internet $50 to be able to 'unlock' my telemetry data for use in GoPro's own program is just a slap in the face.

5. I'm going to reemphasize point #4, to draw attention to how mind blowing it is. In order to make GoPro's proprietary device, play nice with GoPro's proprietary software, you have to give a random dude on the internet $50 for his third party software 'band-aid'. And I'm not even trying to make an old outdated legacy product work, I have GoPro's freaking brand new, top-of-the-line flagship model! Clearly I'm not the only one facing this issue either, because it was worth this random guys time and money to buy a website and program software to correct the fact that GoPro hardware doesn't work with GoPro software... How does a corporation that is publicly traded on the stock exchange let oversights and flaws like this happen?? And that's not even the bad part! After the issues are identified, they are not corrected for so long that third party individuals start up little cottage industries fixing their million dollar design flaws! Holy crap! And all this is just ONE issue out of about 5 major flaws I can think of off the top of my head for the HERO8"

Sightseer

Re: Unable to add gauges in Quik using Hero 8 Black video file

[ New ]

Any progress ? Beacuse this problem seems to be still lasting and it is making me very upset. I did not pay 350 euros for my Hero 8 camera just to buy another program for 60 euros that is able to add GPS data to my video. And I have to admit that this experience is really **bleep**ting on my overall opinion about GoPro as a brand.

Thanks for reply.

Hiker

Re: I couldn´t have said it better myself

[ New ]
Amen @niklasv3582. They are about to come out with the next model and still haven't fixed this giant issue with the current one. What a joke! Anytime I see or hear anything about GoPro, I will reference this thread to show others you don't want one. Every time I see a GoPro ad on FB, I link this thread in the comments. This is crazy.
Hiker

[ New ]

Does anyone from GoPro company see this? Or does still keep laughing, how stupip we were when we bought GoPro Hero 8? 

Hiker

[ New ]

The only solution this time is 1 not to buy any go pro products anymore. 2 Actively discourage your friends / community to not buy the overhyped go pro products. I am so dissappointed in GoPro. The reddit post quite captures that. I asked for a refund on this but never heard anything from GoPro. Its so infuriating. After I bought it GoPro promised to fix it in short term, if I had known they were flat out lying,  I would have returned my product within two weeks and would have refunded this. OMG this company hates their customers. 

Hiker

[ New ]

I totally agree with you all. It's very sad and I feel cheated by GoPro Company. I bought this camera mainly because of the gps data and now I know that my chose was wrong :-(

Currently I'm waiting 40 minutes for live chat with customer support because camera won't turn on anymore :-(

Hiker

[ New ]
Hey don’t worry guys, I’m sure come 16th September when the 9 is released everything will be fixed....
Will be interesting to see what features they advertise for the 9. Cause if they’re offering GPS overlays and fantastic wind suppression I’m gonna be all over every advert I see on social media telling everyone how terrible they’ve been with the 8!!
Tourist

[ New ]

Couldn't care less what the 9 has, I won't ever be buying a GoPro product again, even if the competition isn't as good they've been entirely dishonest in the way they've handled this.