Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
GoPro Apps for Desktop
Hiker

Re: Unable to add gauges in Quik using Hero 8 Black video file

[ New ]

Imagine my suprise after going out ofr  anice ride on my motorbike after lockdown had lifted with my brand new GoPro 8.

I get home, transfer the footage to my PC, load up Quik, excited to finally try the gauges feature only to find it doesn't work!

Come on here and see this issue is known and nothing has yet been done since OCTOBER last year!!

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @neanderthal

Sorry for any trouble caused.

You may use the GoPro app for the GPS stickers or other applications like Dashware or RaceRender in the meantime.

Thanks!

Ej

Hiker

[ New ]

@aragon1006 The gauges won't work in Dashware either. In Race Render it works somewhat but is also quite buggy and messy. I am seriously considering to make a case against go pro to return my Hero 8. I wanted to extract my GPS data to keep track of my windsurf sessions and show off my top speed. This was my primary use case for this thing. I usually tend to give tech companies some time to fix their bugs. Go Pro doesnt seem to be interested in improving their software or support. Its just so unacceptable to not have this working since October last year. 

Using the GoPro App is another joke. I have an ipad pro and previously it was possible to connect your camera over USB-C and transfer files quickly. This is also broken since October last year. Transferring 4k files over WiFi is quite an customer experience. Takes ages, and you have to keep your phone/tablet awake. If it drops into standby you can start over again or puzzle out which files have transferred and wich didnt by hand. Then try to import the failed files.

Conclusion is that Go Pro Gauges don't work and Go Pro doesn't care to get it working. They just don't care about their customers.

Sightseer

[ New ]

I bought a Garmin VIRB and use that to record and display fligh information, speed, position, G-forces etc. The GoPro will be relegated to secondary outside shots etc. and eventually phased out of my equipment.

Hiker

[ New ]
So the solution to wanting to use one of the features of the flagship camera in the GoPro range is NOT to use the GoPro Quik app?
I expected so much more from a company like GoPro.
Hiker

[ New ]

It’s really frustrating that they haven’t fixed this and the workarounds they suggest just add to it.  Editing any decent quality video more than a few seconds in length is not practical on any phone or IPad. It’s  closer to the launch of the Hero 9 than from when the Hero 8 launched and they still haven’t fixed this major problem!? I “traded up” primarily for this feature! I’ll be sure to spread the word. GoPro needs to get their S together!

Hiker

[ New ]
I wish I'd researched more thoroughly and just bought the Hero 7 and saved myself some money. This inability to use a feature advertised and the excessive wind noise problem are a massive disappointment.
Tourist

[ New ]

I've stopped recommending GoPro to friends, I think this is one of the worst experiences I've had with a product in recent times - to have advertised *core* features that just don't work and the default response of use the app is just not good enough.

Absolutely the last time I buy GoPro products or recommend them to anyone else, it's pathetic.

Tourist

[ New ]
This could be how a company goes belly up, false advertising, careless care of customers, 4th trip using the GoPro 8 black and the workflow of “download to the iPad-> add stickers-> save-> then save to device-> then share to computer-> now add to movie software-> make montage -> process-> upload file to YouTube . Holly **bleep** what a nightmare between iPad not sending heavy files due to sleep mode, heavy files, and then the time it take to process is jus insane I would spends hours and hours and then memory on the iPad full, guys seriously, who is the escalation point, open a Jira, escalate this is just insane I bought 3 gopros if this is not fixed in the next coming month not only you will lose me I will start sharing this to all my followers and fans! This is just the worst!!! Are you guys not escalating this to the engineering team? How are they no reprioritizing the road map, how is this possible? This is a main feature and a main rupture!!! This is just insane! I should maybe I should just talk to Nick , yes nick your CEO how is the return to basic and focus on the basic founding ideas of GoPro no applying to the main features?? Not to be a **bleep** but enough is enough I am escalating this myself to your ceo!
Tourist

[ New ]

For those still having issues, first make sure gps is on in the settings menu and you have a little icon (it looks like a little pin) do this out of any case you have (how ive found it works), get the gopro quik for desktop program and via usb to your computer import it all from gopro quik, you should be able to add guages now. For some reason the gps signal hates first connections through the clear case ive found but after the first time it always works, i leave it open for a minute myself just as added protection.

I added a picture of a hero 5 video with the guages from desktop

gopro.JPG

gopro.JPG
Tourist

[ New ]
Yes but we are talking about the HERO 8. It works with all the other gopros that have GPS but not with the 8.
Hiker

[ New ]
Dude, looking at the other posts, it's been an issue (like the chronic wind noise) since the camera was released. They either can't fix it, or unwilling to.
Tourist

[ New ]

for the Gopro 8 it doesn't work

Hiker

[ New ]

@grayshore78073 , @neanderthal@jpa369 , @siftah , @paularys ,   @carlosveny and others,

Feel free to join me in this effort to get a refund for the Hero 8 because of this issue. In this post I explain why GoPro should refund:

https://community.gopro.com/t5/Cameras/Refund-For-not-working-gps-on-Hero8/m-p/596130#/M143766

Sightseer

[ New ]
Gents, has there been any response from GoPro officially??

Bought the hero 8 bundle, if I had have known that it wasn't working as good as the last model, I would have just bought a 7!!!
Tourist

[ New ]

Yes, the official response was "use the app" and that they'll fix it in the new version of the software which they can't give an ETA on.

Sightseer

[ New ]
Cheers for the update, was their response recent or was it a while back??
Hiker

[ New ]

@roadrash19 GoPro promised to fix it in the near future. That was said October November last year. Custumer satisfaction is not a high priority for GoPro. If you look a couple of post back you can find a link in one of my post to a topic where I am asking for a refund. So far no response from GoPro. 

There are two paid solutions that might work. There is racerender $60 and a free version which puts their ugly logo in view. Software is clunky and crasht. There is als a fix available that manipulates the metadata so that Quik can read the GPS from the mp4 files. Someone is actively selling this fix for $50 via these forums. Some seem to have had some luck with Garmin Virb Edit. You need to extract the gos metadata to a gpx file first. Garmin Virb Edit looks like an awesome software package. However when I open a GoPro video it states that it cannot play. 

short story pay $50-60 or use the software of the competitor. Go Pro doesn't really give a **bleep** unfortunately.

Sightseer

[ New ]

Same situation here, got my Hero 8 yesterday, took it out, got some footage, came home excited to see my speeds, etc only to find there is no option for 'gauges' and find this post.

Like others have mentioned, to be working on a fix for over 6 months is a joke, would have been sorted by now if they hadn't laid off so many staff Smiley Sad

Hiker

[ New ]
The only thing you can do (without paying out extra money) is to edit the footage in the actual GoPro app on your phone/ipad... hopefully you'll have enough space to do so.
Other than that, there's a chap on here selling a converter for £50 which will convert the GoPro 8 data to the older Hero 7 format and then Quik will recognise it.
Hiker

[ New ]

All potential customers should read this thread before paying for the GoPro products :) GoPro Quik ("Neodpovídá") means "Not responding". Users with AMD procs are unable to run this app :) On my macbook, there is no chance to use GPS data from the camera. Only if I pay 50Euro :-D

Clipboard01.jpg
Hiker

[ New ]

GAUGES WORKING!!!!!

1. DON'T USE GO PRO QUICK OR OTHER GO PRO SOFTWARE. This is of course the most important step Smiley LOL

2. Set the video compression setting on your GoPro Hero 8 black to most compatible (will output h264 instead of hevc).

2. Download Virb Edit from Garmin, available for Windows and Mac. This is the good stuff.

3. Use a card reader to transfer the files to your PC or Mac

4. Go to https://goprotelemetryextractor.com/free/. Upload your video files 1 by 1, and select as output format virb edit. Takes just 15s per file.

5. Import your video files in Virb Edit

6. Go To G-Metrix --> data --> Import G-Metris --> On my computer, there you can load the created gpx files.

7. Gauges and everything should be working perfectly.

Robot Happy

The workflow is somewhat convoluted but it is very doable. Virb edit should also work with hevc files but it doesn't work on my macbook for some reason. I haven't tried 4k content or > 60fps yet. Please update about the things we can get working.

It is pretty epic you need software from GoPro's major competitor to get it to work. Next time i ll seriously consider the Garmin camera's. The software just looks good to. That is what I want for an action cam.

Tourist

[ New ]

Just looked to re-download Quik for Windows / Mac.... Update on Monday 18th May 2020 is :

GoPro legacy software
by Monday - edited Monday

We’ve moved on, but that doesn’t mean you have to. Download your favorite legacy software here.

Basically, they have turned it off. So it's not going to be fixed.

I bought my camera the two weeks ago Monday, with all these amazing features I was quite excited. 
Since received, many features have been turned off one by one... Do I regret buying the camera, no, its a great camera, but I regret paying what I paid for it.  It has greatly devalued my camera, and my plus subscription, thats not happening next year!   Don't get me started on them not shipping batteries to the UK, or even their dual battery charger!

Tourist

[ New ]

They have discontinued Quik for desktop... they have apparently 'moved on'.

Tourist

[ New ]

Hopefully, they are developing a brand new software for computer, even if I doubt Smiley Indifferent

Hiker

[ New ]
If you go on the dashblabla website that they recommend you try they actually state their working on a new project with GoPro.
Hopefully it’s a new app.
Weird that they retire an app without the new one ready though??
Nomad

[ New ]
The Dashware post is from the Hero5 times, back when GoPro acquired them and not much before they discontinued it. GoPro is going to launch a new editing software, Mural, but we don't know if it's for desktop computers, or if it's for general edits (and gauges) or for 360 video (which they have been beta testing)
Sightseer

[ New ]

I'm also having this issue and it's the key reason I bought them to display speed overlays for cycling/running and track driving... ridiculous that your newest camera has problems with this. If anything the older models should get the shaft and not the newer ones... 

I'm definitely working on selling my two Hero 8's for Insta360 One R. Absolutely ridiculous that this does not work...

Sightseer

[ New ]

I forgot to mention since I was ranting... I've tried importing onto my phone via Quik which doesn't allow you to actually import a file. I've tried getting this to work on the GoPro app which also doesn't work because it specifies that GPS is not available similarly to how Quik works on the desktop application on Mac and Windows... All are using the latest firmware/software updates from GoPro.

This is seriously a joke. It's a good camera with good quality, but if you make it difficult to put simple features that you advertise then what's the point... 

Waiting to put out a review on this camera and let's just say I have lots of good things to say.

Nomad

[ New ]

If the phone app does not show the data, the GPS signal is either missing or has low precision. See here for some tips on how to improve that: https://community.gopro.com/t5/GoPro-Metadata-Visualization-GPS/GoPro-GPS-not-working-Performance-st...

Tourist

[ New ]

Bought a Hero 8 a week ago,

Support here seems to be very pooooooor:

1. First issue - had a problems with Quik App saying, that my PC doesnt support HEVC, even its on i9-9900K 16 GB Ram and all video files sat on NVME SD Card---- found a solution - buy a 0.79 GBP HEVC codec from Microsoft store... simple as that.

Neeext.... 

2. This now, GPS ON, trying on small videos in my garden. Complete fail, still doesn pop up in Desktop App, :(

tried on phone APp, all seems is working fine... all issues with Desktop versions...

Is there aditional codec or driver needs installing? any software patch which might help?

HEEEELP!!!

Thank you for you attention

GoPro

[ New ]

Hello, @edgarso8170. Currently, Quik for desktop doesn’t support telemetry gauges for your HERO8 Black camera. You might want to check out the suggestions above for solutions to displaying GPS desktop for your HERO8 Black footage. 

Hiker

[ New ]
I’m sorry, they aren’t solutions, they are workarounds to unlock features GoPro originally advertised with the camera!
Hiker

[ New ]

@mariustanya That is just not an acceptable answer at this point, 6 months after introduction. When will GoPro apologize for this issue and come with a solution?

Tourist

[ New ]

Just to add, downloading any of videos with enabled GPS on Android device, does allow me to enable stickers (Gauges), so issue is with desktop app, which doesnt work neither on my Windows PC neither on Mac.

But downloading 4k videos (hours), i really need to updatte my phone or tablet with internal memory 128 - 256 gb, App doesnt work for SD Cards...

Presume, due to Covid 19 issue, there isnt much dev support on application (just my thoughts), 

Apple might be working on new app development too...

Tourist

[ New ]

glad to see I'm not the only one with this issue; almost went back to costco for a return.
bought my hero8 expecting all it to work.
sighhhhh

tried the virb edit thing. ehh its a workaround. still sucks.

gps data is all wonky, dont know if its just **bleep**ty data my gopro captured, or this workaround doesnt really work.
it was outdoors in my neighborhood park, no tall buildings anywhere.

in addition to a missing timewarp file that froze my camera -- it had to repair the file,
i'm not entirely happy with my purchase.

hopefully they fix their **bleep**, until then i guess ill keep making the best out of it -- and hoping my captures work

Sightseer

[ New ]

Thanks for the information re Virb Edit and Telemetry Extractor. I'm sorry if I'm not following this right, and I'm using Windows which may use a different process to Applie, but I don't seem to be able to import the gpx file into Virb Edit. It's only giving me the option to import media file and does not show the gpx file in the location where it's been saved - what am I doing wrong?

Nomad

[ New ]
You need to import it from the gMetrix menu, not as media. See the 5:19 minute https://youtu.be/zTpGznyhegs
Sightseer

[ New ]
Thanks for that; much appreciated. Really disappointed in GoPro wrt this, but a workaround is better than nothing....they need to sort it out!
Tourist

[ New ]

Apparently, GoPro has abandoned this thread. It's still not working for me. I am really wondering whether opting for the alleged premium brand camera was the right choice. The non-existent customer service and lack of advertised features is something I would have expected when buying some cheap knock-off camera. This is totally unacceptable behavior by GoPro. Hey GoPro, are you gonna live up to the expectations fueled by your advertisements? Putting the word "Pro" in your name and then being unable to provide a functional computer based editing app and instead forcing the customers to edit footage on a 5-inch cell phone screen just doesn't feel right, does it?

Tourist

[ New ]

I'm a happy owner of a new Gopro Hero 8 back camera...but I feel dissapointed when I tried to add gauges on my videos.... I was reading the long thread and seems is something that started long time ago (Year 2019) and it was not fixed yet. It is hard to believe that a company like Gopro with amazing cammeras not invest time on apps that allow to use all features of the cammera.... I really hope thay you guys fix the issue soon ... Like I read before ... is hard to edit videos using the cell phone app. Looking forward for your prompt reply!! Greetings from Argentina

Tourist

[ New ]

Just got off a chat with a GoPro support person. I was told they are no longer developing the GoPro Quik desktop app and therefore have no plans to fix the lack of integration with the Gopro 8 and it's inability to add stickers using Quik. Mobile solution is the only thing that works. 

Tourist

[ New ]
Thank you So much for share!!! From my point of view it doesn't matter who developed (and maintain) the GoPro Quick desktop app... it contain the brand GoPro and it should be support all features of newer cameras (like Hero 8). . . .
Tourist

[ New ]

Terrific move from GoPro. At first I thought the "Pro" in the name GoPro stands for "professional". When they said they would fix the problem but didn't do it for a long time I though the "Pro" would stand for "procrastination". Now that they don't even bother fixing the issue the "Pro" seems to stand for "profit". Why bother with customer service for the latest camera model when the customer has already paid the money? The lesson you should learn as customer from this behavior of neglecting support for the latest camera model: Don't ever buy a new camera from GoPro. Get a used older model from ebay or buy from a Chinese competitor.

Tourist

[ New ]

top... also die nächste Cam dann von DJI.

Spoiler
Spoiler

@squeakinator  schrieb:

Just got off a chat with a GoPro support person. I was told they are no longer developing the GoPro Quik desktop app and therefore have no plans to fix the lack of integration with the Gopro 8 and it's inability to add stickers using Quik. Mobile solution is the only thing that works. 

Hiker

[ New ]

@ksk73 wrote:

Terrific move from GoPro. At first I thought the "Pro" in the name GoPro stands for "professional". When they said they would fix the problem but didn't do it for a long time I though the "Pro" would stand for "procrastination". Now that they don't even bother fixing the issue the "Pro" seems to stand for "profit". Why bother with customer service for the latest camera model when the customer has already paid the money? The lesson you should learn as customer from this behavior of neglecting support for the latest camera model: Don't ever buy a new camera from GoPro. Get a used older model from ebay or buy from a Chinese competitor.

Words from a wise :)

Hiker

I couldn´t have said it better myself

[ New ]

I couldn´t have said it better myself so I´ll let this guy say it:
Original post on reddit: www.reddit.com/r/gopro/comments/frbu11/hero8_telemetry_data_not_compatible_with_gopros/

"HERO8 Telemetry Data Not Compatible with GoPro's Own Software!?!?

I bought a GoPro HERO8 to do motorcycle vlogging and made my first video today only to find out GoPro's Quik app for PC says "No GPS data". Not cool.

The telemetry data/stickers/gauges DO work in GoPros app for phones. But I want to use the desktop version. I like having a mouse and keyboard having my files on my computer with its very large hard drive, instead of trying to do everything on my phone and eating up its much more limited space. Plus using the GoPro app boots me off of WiFi and eats battery life. And adding the Telemetry gauges via the GoPro phone app then 'save to device' is miserably slow.

After doing some googling around, I see that A) GoPro HERO8 GPS data is parsed or coded or whatever different from the HERO7 and down models, making it incompatible with GoPro Quik for PC. and B) Quik for PC has an invisible 'threshold' where it decides recorded GPS data is too weak and it will disable Stickers/Gauges/Telemetry displays in Quik. I also see someone has made a Telemetry Extractor program that artificially amplifies the GPS data to trick Quik into allowing the use of the gauges or telemetry displays... and they want $50 for this software.

Here are my thoughts:

1. It is absolutely INSANE to me that GoPro's own freaking software won't work with the latest version of their own freaking product (HERO8)

2. Furthermore, its INSANE to me that GoPro, a multi-million dollar company with a full staff of programmers and product engineers will not update their software (Quik) to work with their latest and greatest product (HERO8), but ONE NORMAL PERSON by himself has made a program to fix GoPro's shortcomings... Again, this absolutely floors me.

3. If Quik perceives the GPS telemetry data of a file to be 'too weak', there should be an option to use it anyway, or amplify it like that randoms dudes $50 software. Using the free test version of the $50 Telemetry Extractor, I was able to see my telemetry data was all there and 100% accurate, making it that much more frustrating that GoPro's own software says "No GPS Data Available"

4. How the heck is GoPro perfectly fine with the Telemetry Extractor software existing? You would think they would be extremely embarrassed that some random person not affiliated with their company is making $50 to $200 a pop selling software to fix their lack of software support for their own product. When someone has to go buy 3rd party, unofficial software to make a $700 product work as advertised, that strikes me as a big black eye and source of embarrassment that they would want to fix. It's bad enough I had to buy a $80 media mod just so I could use a $10 freaking microphone in my helmet for my vlogs, but having to pay a random stranger on the internet $50 to be able to 'unlock' my telemetry data for use in GoPro's own program is just a slap in the face.

5. I'm going to reemphasize point #4, to draw attention to how mind blowing it is. In order to make GoPro's proprietary device, play nice with GoPro's proprietary software, you have to give a random dude on the internet $50 for his third party software 'band-aid'. And I'm not even trying to make an old outdated legacy product work, I have GoPro's freaking brand new, top-of-the-line flagship model! Clearly I'm not the only one facing this issue either, because it was worth this random guys time and money to buy a website and program software to correct the fact that GoPro hardware doesn't work with GoPro software... How does a corporation that is publicly traded on the stock exchange let oversights and flaws like this happen?? And that's not even the bad part! After the issues are identified, they are not corrected for so long that third party individuals start up little cottage industries fixing their million dollar design flaws! Holy crap! And all this is just ONE issue out of about 5 major flaws I can think of off the top of my head for the HERO8"

Sightseer

[ New ]

Any progress ? Beacuse this problem seems to be still lasting and it is making me very upset. I did not pay 350 euros for my Hero 8 camera just to buy another program for 60 euros that is able to add GPS data to my video. And I have to admit that this experience is really **bleep**ting on my overall opinion about GoPro as a brand.

Thanks for reply.

Hiker

Re: I couldn´t have said it better myself

[ New ]
Amen @niklasv3582. They are about to come out with the next model and still haven't fixed this giant issue with the current one. What a joke! Anytime I see or hear anything about GoPro, I will reference this thread to show others you don't want one. Every time I see a GoPro ad on FB, I link this thread in the comments. This is crazy.
Hiker

Re: I couldn´t have said it better myself

[ New ]

Does anyone from GoPro company see this? Or does still keep laughing, how stupip we were when we bought GoPro Hero 8?