Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
GoPro Apps for Desktop
Tourist

Unable to add gauges in Quik using Hero 8 Black video file

[ New ]

Hello,  I am unable to add gauges in the Quik app using Hero 8 Black video files.  The app says there is not gps data.  I double checked and GPS is turned on adn the video file does contain GPS, speed etc in the video file.  I verified using 3rd party app to extract the data.  I also tried Dashware but that also will not show the data in the gauges.

System is a Window 10 Pro 1903

GoPro Quik version 2.7.0.945

GoPro Hero 8 Black

Thanks for your help.

GoPro

Re: Unable to add gauges in Quik using Hero 8 Black video file

[ New ]

Thank you for the feedback, @daveb2005. We will pass this along to the team. 

Tourist

[ New ]

I have the same issue, advised to factory reset the gopro - which I did and re-install the update manually.

Uninstall Quik from Desktop and re-install - still failed.

Tried via Mobile Phone Quik on same File and it works.

So I imagine the issue is with the Desktop version of Quik...

Tourist

[ New ]

PS - just tried on my Work Laptop - Desktop Quik, also failed like my home desktop, but works on Mobile Phone Quik... so it does look like its the Desktop Quik software that has the issue....

Tourist

[ New ]

I should advise the Mobile Phone app is the GoPro, not the Quik that I set the Gauges on which worked.

Tourist

[ New ]

I was able to use the mobile GoPro app to get the gauges,  just not ideal in working with big files and you don't have a lot of contorl of the gauges.

Tourist

[ New ]

I am having the same problem on a Mac. I have the latest version of Quik, and it clearly needs an update to be compatible with the Hero 8. I remember this happened previously on the Hero 6 or 7 - why can't the software be updated before the camera is released?

EDIT: I forgot to say that the gauges work perfectly from my Hero 7s, but not the 8 (yet...)

Tourist

[ New ]

Any progress on this? I have the same issue.

Tourist

[ New ]

Why is this still a issue from the hero 5 black all the way upto the newest hero 8 something gopro is going on about including with the 1 MILLION DOLLAR challange? if you can freely give away a million dollars in cash to someone then why cant a simple issue be fixed?

gopro hero 5 black version 2.60

gopro quik version 2.7.0.945

Gps is confirmed ON

wireless connection is Off

I should add this has ruined a fishing trip video because i cant add the gps graph to show how much i changed course to find the spot.

Tourist

[ New ]

I'm having the same problem on OS X. I recorded a video that I know GPS was enabled on (GPS icon lit up), but neither the desktop app or the Android app will let me add gauges. I'd love to know a solution.

Tourist

[ New ]
I take that back on my previous message. I got it to work in the Android app, just not the desktop app.
Hiker

[ New ]
I have the same problem, I can't have access on android and desktop!!! Any solution????????
Hiker

[ New ]

I have the same problem, I don't have access on android and desktop!!! Any solution????????

Sightseer

[ New ]

I'm having the same problem, Go Pro 8 with windows 10 desktop Quirk app. Says it cant find GPS even though it definitely did record GPS data. Please fix asap

Hiker

[ New ]

I will bump this thread as well...... GoPro Hero 8 firmware v.1.20, Quik desktop v.2.7.0.945 on Windows 10. No gauges even though GPS is turned on.

Tourist

[ New ]

Same here, works on android but not on windows, tried reinstall , turning on/off the gauges , metric/imperial,copy the video direct from the sd card , iwith the import function of quik , in the phone and the on desktop... 

Hiker

[ New ]

Eu não consigo no Android nem no Quick com windos 10....

Tourist

[ New ]

I have the same problem here. HERO 8 Black with GPS on. If i use the gopro app it lets me add gauges. But Quik desktop doesn't. Please update quik app

GoPro

[ New ]

Hello Everyone!

We have raised this to the team and we are waiting for additional information.

Please continue checking our website for updates.

Thanks!
Ej

Tourist

[ New ]

GoPro:  Please update this thread.   I too am unable to add gauges in Quik using Hero 8 Black video file.  I went as far as getting a replacement camera through warranty, thinking it was the camera and not Quik.  I'm using the latest version of Quik for Mac.

Tourist

[ New ]
Another user has found the solution to this problem. He has posted the solution in another thread (https://community.gopro.com/t5/GoPro-Apps-for-Desktop/Hero-8-Black-GPS-data-is-present-in-files-but-...) so i'm going to post it here too:
Hero 8 is not supported in Quik yet because one file is missing. So go to C:\Program Files\GoPro\GoPro Desktop App\telemetrydata\DataProfiles\ and you will find some files with gopro camera names. Copy the one that says Hero7BlackGPMF.xml, paste it and rename it to Hero8BlackGPMF.xml. Then you need to edit (Right Click + Edit) and change everything that says "Hero7 Black" for "HERO8 Black".
Also you need to make sure that the GPS signal is good enough (sometimes the camera says that GPS is okay but it's not, wait for 1 or 2 more minutes just to make sure it's going to track your GPS).
Hope it works and all the credits to madmbker who found the solution.
Tourist

[ New ]

Unfortunately that fix doesn't seem to work on a Mac. I found the folder and added the file in question, but my videos still say no gps data (even though they work in the Android app). I can't believe GoPro hasn't resolved this yet.

Nomad

[ New ]
The aforementioned fix seems to help in some cases (Hero8/Max, Windows). For older cameras, the issue might be that the GPS signal does not reach the quality Quik expects. We gathered some info around these issues here: https://community.gopro.com/t5/GoPro-Metadata-Visualization-GPS/GoPro-GPS-not-working-Performance-st...

And for those just wanting to check whether their video files contain GPS data or not, you can use the telemetry extractor: https://goprotelemetryextractor.com/free
Tourist

[ New ]

Still broken as of today, using the latest GoPro firmware and latest available version of Quik on the Mac!

Very disappointing that such major feature doesn't work and seems to have been broken for a long time without a fix, come on GoPro, get your act together!

I've confirmed i have GPS data in my files using the previously linked tool, so this definitely seems to be a Quik bug (2.7.x on Mac) with the latest firmware on the GoPro.

Tourist

[ New ]

I'm also amazed this isn't fixed yet. I have a dirt bike race that I'd love to put the gauges on. It works on my Android phone, but not on my Mac.

Tourist

[ New ]

I can see in another thread that there is a missing config file for the Hero8 in the Quik app, which means it's basically just not been added yet.

People have tried to fix it themselves by recreating the missing file which I've tried to do but this also doesn't seem to work for me :(

Nomad

[ New ]
The config file fix only works for the old Hero8 firmware. For the new one, you can convert your files with this tool https://youtu.be/nY4LfVFViT0
Tourist

[ New ]

There's no way I'm going to pay 30 dollars for something to fix a problem that GoPro themselves should be fixing tbh.

Much easier to just downgrade the firmware back to 1.2 and add the missing .XML file!

Hiker

[ New ]

Siftah, are you using Catalina?

Tourist

[ New ]

I'm using Catalina, yes - your script works for me, I just swapped the wget for "curl -o".

I'm on 1.50 firmware though and have videos recorded with that firmware which I want gauges for, so I can downgrade to 1.2 to get them to work but I'd really rather just have GoPro fix their software! :)

Hiker

[ New ]

Glad to hear that it working with you. I'm using HighSierra, so my testing environment is only with HighSierra, and also thank for the "curl -o". Will update and test it latter.

or

Should i change "wget" to "curl" ?

Tourist

[ New ]

Curl is a replacement for wget, yup!

On Catalina and I believe also in all MacOS previous versions, curl should be available by default, this command will download the XML file from your server and drop it into the correct folder with the right privileges;

sudo curl https://gph8.circuitxpert.com/Hero8BlackGPMF.xml -o /Applications/GoPro\ Quik.app/Contents/Resources/telemetrydata/DataProfiles/Hero8BlackGPMF.xml

Hiker

[ New ]
Nice bro!

Will add it & update it later. I find you on twitter later...
Tourist

[ New ]

I am having the exact same issue.  At first I thought the camera was faulty and was not getting/capturing GPS data.  But the GoPro iOS app defintely sees GPS data and I am able to add gauges accordingly when doing a simple video edit within the app.  But if I download the exact same file to my desktop PC runnings Windows 10 and the latest GoPro Quik app (2.7.0.945) it tells me there is no GPS data.  

Nomad

[ New ]
@siftah that's a perfectly understandable position, as is not wanting to downgrade the firmware of the camera (which will not modify videos previously recorded on v1.50)
Tourist

[ New ]

same issue for me.. gopro quick not supporting for windows. gopro plz solve the issue quikly

GoPro

[ New ]

@braveexper33153, currently, Quik for desktop doesn’t support camera firmware updates or telemetry gauges for your HERO8 Black camera. We are focusing on adding this functionality to our latest GoPro Desktop application in the near future, but in the meantime, the GoPro App on iOS and Android can both update your camera and also add telemetry gauges as well.

In the meantime, apologies for any inconvenience. Your patience and understanding are very much appreciated.

Tourist

[ New ]

Thank you for the response/explanation to this thread, definitely helps to have confirmation.  For those following this thread, depending on what activity you are trying to add gauges to, a hack that you may want to explore is to use a fitness tracker with GPS, start an activity during your GoPro recording to capture GPS coordinates, find a way to download the data for that activity (like a Garmin .fit file), and then use Garmin VIRB Edit software to sync things up.  If you Google "gopro garmin virb edit" you'll likely see a YouTube tutorial come up from Shane Miller's channel on how to do this. The gauges are really cool...I've played with this recently and it works really good and is super easy to do.

Nomad

[ New ]
@rhirschey Yes. Virb Edit is pretty good.

Just to complement your reply, you can achieve the same without an external tracker by converting the GoPro telemetry to GPX (use the free Telemetry Extractor). That's as long as your GPS signal is good enough, of course
Tourist

[ New ]
When does GoPro expect this issue to be resolved?
Hiker

[ New ]

Please let us know an ETA.

Nomad

[ New ]

At the moment GoPro seem to be focusing on the Windows app for reframing GoPro Max footage. Not sure if they will implement the gauges feature there or they will create a new separate GoPro App for desktop as was rumoured some weeks ago

Tourist

[ New ]

For those of you looking for a decent workflow to add GPS-based gauges to your GoPro video, here's an approach.  If you don't have a separate GPS/activity tracker, you may be able to extract the GoPro's built in data using available software on the internet and use that as your "G-Metrix" data file for Garmin VIRB Edit software.  I use my GoPro's for biking, so I'm always using a Garmin watch and/or bike computer to supply my metrics, then syncing that up to the GoPro footage using VIRB Edit.  Hope this helps or even gives you some ideas on how you might approach this.  

Step #NameDescriptionSoftware
1Import filesImport GoPro files from SD cards onto computer into separate directories for each cameraGoPro Quik
2Rename filesUsing the "Date Modified" attribute in Windows Explorer, rename files with sequential prefixes (1.1, 1.2, 2.1, etc) allowing you to see which files are actually part of the same continous sequence of video (since GoPro splits files to be under 4GB).  This will save you time and steps later esp. if your trying to sync GPS data from a separate device (e.g., Garmin) to provide overlay data.Windows Explorer
3Consolidate sequential filesUsing MP4Joiner, combine those files that are actually part of the same continuous sequence of video from the same GoPro into one file, which will further save you time having to sync GPS data to numerous files.MP4Joiner
4Add GPS overlaysUsing Garmin VIRB Edit, import all the consolidated files from one GoPro camera into a new project.  Import your GPS track and sync GPS to video and add your gauges and GPS data overlays.  Since VIRB doesn’t' support b-roll footage, you'll have to repeat this step for each camera's footage and sync them up later using other software. Garmin VIRB Edit
5Export new fileExport your editage footage (with GPS overlays), keeping the resolution and frame rate the same as the source input.  Repeat steps 4 and 5 for any other GoPro cameras that were filming the same activity.Garmin VIRB Edit
6Combine and edit footage from multiple camerasNow that you have a video track with GPS overlays for each GoPro you used, using video editing software that allows for multiple video "rolls", lay each GoPro's video out on a separate video timeline/roll and edit/cut/splice as you desire to cut down video length and/or change perspectives as desired.  Be sure to sync up the video from the separate cameras, using either a common visual, sound or time reference.  Movavi Video Suite
Tourist

[ New ]

That's a great work-around, but it also goes to show just how inconvenient a work-around is needed to provide a feature that we have PAID FOR and expect to work in the desktop software provided with the device.

I think GoPro should be making more of an effort to give an accurate timeline of when this feature is expected, or start providing compensation to customers who've paid for a feature they can't use - it's beginning to seem like they've no intention of fixing this until some new/different version of the software is released?

I don't think that's very acceptable personally, it should be being treated as a bug and fixed ASAP.

Tourist

[ New ]

I would so much rather have a new video editing app than improve the current one. I'm not a fan of the highlights and time limitations. 

Tourist

[ New ]

To be honest I've always found the GoPro software to be unusable, but I want a workflow on my desktop computer which quickly and simply extracts the GPS data and adds it as gauges as that's not something I can necessarily do easily with non-GoPro provided software.

The Garmin work-around is clunky, the extraction of data from the GoPro is a GoPro specific thing and the ability to use the gauges is something I paid for when I bought the GoPro, so I expect to be able to do it.

I don't think it's unreasonable for GoPro to support their own features with their own software - editing 4k video on a iOS device is not, in my opinion, an acceptable work-around for a bug in core functionality! :)

Tourist

[ New ]

I agree completely.  The Quik app doesn't seem to be designed with editing GoPro footage itself in a very meaningful way.  No easy was I see to combine the multiple files a continuous video stream outputs, obviously lacks ability to overaly the GPS data that is recorded to the video file itself, I'm not even sure it allows combining footage from multiple GoPro's to b- and c-roll for timeline consolidation, etc.  

Tourist

[ New ]

you know the amount of memory it takes on my phone to be able to have the stickers it takes, my workflow right now is:

-Copy clip from gopro to phone ( takes 30 min to 40 min depending the size of the clip.

- add the stickers in the GoPro app( couple of seconds)

- save the file ( an hour or so) 

- Send the file from my phone to my mac( another hour or more when it doesn't fail)

- add the video and work on the footage on the computer( vary)

- now render the video

this workaround takes not only a huge amount of space in my phone but even more time to do the same we did before in minutes!

please add a gopro app for desk that does this or fix the Quik app

Nomad

[ New ]

When GoPro staff have commented on this topic it sounds like, indeed, they are not working on a Quik update, but rather on a new desktop app. We don't have an estimated launch date, as they have been saying "near future" since last year.

Tourist

[ New ]

yes it seems we will have to wait, it is on the phone but it takes so much memory with my videos and the workflow is just horrible.