Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
GoPro Apps for Desktop
Tourist

Telemetry not working on HERO8

[ New ]

Can't load telemetry in Quck for my HERO8. Is there any known plan for fixing this? Regretting upgrading from my old Hero3 where the only thing I was missing was the GPS to the Hero8 where GPS isn't working. I DON'T CARE IF THE SIGNAL IS BAD or whatever. Just do the best overlay possible and I'll delete it if I'm not satisfied.

Not buying another GoPro for sure..

Accepted Solutions
GoPro

Re: Telemetry not working on HERO8

[ New ]

Hello, @viktorm2337. The current Quik for desktop does not support GPS display for media captured with the HERO8 Black. As mentioned, our team is working on a desktop application that has such functionality. The GoPro App should be able to display GPS performance stickers for your videos.  

View solution in original post

All Replies
GoPro

[ New ]

Helo, @hardyriver14841. Currently, Quik for desktop doesn’t support telemetry gauges for your HERO8 Black camera. We are focusing on adding this functionality to our latest GoPro Desktop application in the near future, but in the meantime, the GoPro App on iOS and Android can both update your camera and also add telemetry gauges as well. 

Tourist

[ New ]

Never mind.. I downloaded the Garmin Virb app and found some random internet tool to export GPS data to a standard format. It works perfectly with the Garmin app then. The Virb app actually seems to be a decent piece of software that doesn't force you to create 32 accounts, log in, accept notification and it hasn't even once induced a urgent need for breaking something on my desktop..

Guess what my next cam will be..? Anyone wanna buy a barley used Hero8? Pitty since Gopro hardware is nice imo.

Tourist

[ New ]

By the way, the Android app can't connect to the camera so it's kind of useles as well. Don't use it much and it worked just as badly with Hero3. I expected better with a brand new cam but honestly I'm not that surprised finding it to be equally crappy with the Hero 8 as with the Hero 3. The GPS overlays I actually looked forward to using..

Tourist

[ New ]

10 minutes in making videos in the Garmin app and the irony just keeps growing on me. A 400m dollar company with _one_ product that can't make its flagship product work with (any of) the dedicated software for it.

It was litteraly YOUR firmware that wrote the GPS tracking data to the film, but your own app can't extract it but some random internet dude has a polished webpage that can do it (why can't i get a standard format in the first place??). Your own app can't visualize the data (extracted or not) but what has to be your main competitor can do it. The future looks kinda bleak..?

Sightseer

[ New ]

I bought Hero GoPro 8 Black specially for taking go-kart videos of my sons. And I am really upset that GoPro does not have gps data software. It would be better if I had bought GoPro 7.

GoPro

[ New ]

@hardyriver14841. What seems to be the issue with connecting to the GoPro App? See if these troubleshooting steps will help. 

GoPro

[ New ]

Hello, @viktorm2337. The current Quik for desktop does not support GPS display for media captured with the HERO8 Black. As mentioned, our team is working on a desktop application that has such functionality. The GoPro App should be able to display GPS performance stickers for your videos.  

Highlighted
Tourist

[ New ]

Same here, a tip might be to use this webpage to get the data out:

https://goprotelemetryextractor.com/free/

Select GPS -> Virb Edit and save the file it creates next to the video.

There's even a paid version that claims to fix the data so Quik and create overlays using it. Not tested it myself but reading the forums it seems legit. 50$ was a bit on the expensive side imo when Virb worked so well (and I already spent $$$ for upgrading my GoPro just for this GPS support so I could make some gokart statistics).

And then you can download the Garmin Virb software at:

https://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=6591

Then import your video there, select G-Metrix -> Data -> Import G-Metrix and select the file you just downloaded.

Now you can add the gauges and asjust the start finish position and event get laptimes, best laptime etc. Works a treat!

Best thing is playback in Virb Edit is smooth and the controls actualy seems to work all of the time. Not just when you get lucky. Next time just buy the Virb and save some trouble :/

Capture.PNG
Tourist

[ New ]

Not sure. Sometimes it works if I re-install the app and reset the wifi enough times, it was the same with my Hero3. Then I just assumed it was because of the old (and sometims harshly treated) camera. Now I just assume it's because the app is crap.

Testing right now it actually worked on the first attempt. But it says to update the camera so guess something else will be broken soon enough.

Tourist

[ New ]

And as expected. Next time I can't connect to the camera any more and it suggest that I should 'Troubleshoot'. Yet. Another. Time..

Tourist

[ New ]

After some wifi add/remove and a few more attempts it connected again. But I can't show the feed from the camera or any media on it. Changing settings seems to work so if I need a very slow way of connecting to change the cam settings that's something at least.