08-30-2016 08:57 AM
Something else that could be going on here is that just one of the files might be corrupted. I noticed you said that the export always stops around 35-38%. If you set the export format to Archive, it should export a partial video, and if so then the point that it stops at could be the point of corruption. If you remove that clip (the presumably corrupted one) or don't use any footage from that one particular video, are you then able to export normally?
I'll let @danielr15 respond to your other details.
08-30-2016 11:05 AM
Thank you for the suggestion, unfortunatley i have already tried with other clips from other footage after formatting the memory card etc. So, if there is a corruption issue, then it is relating to a faulty camera unit. Though i do not think that is the case Matt, as i am managing to edit the footage on an older version of Studio, then completing the transition effect & soundtrack via Windows Movie Maker. This all turns out well, with one little exception which is that, the footage has some signs of pixelation at darker scenes and on some section of road surface etc.
The video i mention above can be found here.
09-08-2016 08:22 AM - edited 09-08-2016 08:22 AM
I did watch a bit of the video you posted on YouTube and it looks like it turned out well. So you were able to process the footage in Studio but then had to add the transitions and soundtrack with Windows Movie Maker? If that is the case, does your GoPro Studio work fine when exporting as long as you don't add music or transitions?
09-09-2016 04:50 AM
Yeah eventually i did lol. Not quite as easy as that Matt. I had to import one clip at a time, edit out the sections i wanted, delete clep from the left before moving in to stage 2. Once they were converted, i closed down studio, found the converted clips in the folder on the system, then brough them over into windows movie maker for transitions and soundtrack asd well as processing to finished article.
What should have been able to be done in studio in a few hours, became a monster and was easily double that time, due to processing each clip as an individual entity instead of as a sequence from start to finish.
I am actually having better luck with an older version od studio for the editing process, more stable than what the current version has to offer aanyway, as thye most recent version still hangs, or recently, when you open the blank template, i cannot drag clips into the timeline, as part of the temaple screen is still showing up on the timeline area and will not allow a clip to be dropped into it?
09-16-2016 08:58 AM
Once again, I'm very sorry to hear these issues are occurring for you. I've tried to make notes of all that is happening and all that you've tried, and I will try to do some more investigating to see what may help. In regards to your support case, I used your email to try and find a case with us but I wasn't able to pull anything up. Do you know what your support case number was? That would have been the first email you received from us saying thank you for reaching out.
For troubleshooting purposes, one thing I would urge you to do is uninstall the older version of Studio and reinstall the most up to date software. Although I understand you have found the older version to be more stable for you in some cases, we really can't provide any support for older versions as there have been bug fixes along the way and we simply don't have the resources to be able to account for what may be going on if you're running an older version, especially if it came from somewhere other than gopro.com. Even if the general use seems more stable, you are seeing that problems are still occurring and we have little to no chance of fixing it if you're on the older version.
Another thing that I was wondering in regards to the freezing upon export is if this footage is being pulled from OR exported to your external drive rather than to your computer's local hard drive? If so, try using the computer's hard drive for all of these processes.
And finally, have you had any luck when you try exporting under the Archive format?
Additionally, I know you mentioned you changed your admin settings to change the priority of GoPro Studio in Task Manager. Have you made sure to change your profile back to an admin?
09-16-2016 10:48 AM
Ah one of these things isn't it, but i am of the firm oppinion that the current version isn't fit for purpose, i'm affraid to say. There are simply too many issues reported on here abpout it, as well as on other forums. I've been all over the internet to see if anyone has came up with a fix.
I hear what you are saying Matt, re using the most recent release of the software, yet at he the same time, what is the point of having it on my system, when it simply will not process anyhting beyond stahe 1 really, satage 2 and the problems begin.
If i stay with the philosophy of using the most recent vesrion of Studio, then i am honstly as well to take the GoPro back for a refund and buy a Garmin or a TomTom action camera. Maybe their software will work, who knows until we get one.
But, as it sit today, from my point of purchase the current vesion of studio, does not work, so why should we constantly frustrate ourselve over a peic eof non functional software. The answe is simple, find a version like i did that works and at least, we CAN process our videos with the older.
I'm giving up on support as abad experiiance, having no input from my tech support agent since my last reply to their email dated, 17 August. Sorry, but that is not good customer support or any form of what i would class as customer relations.
The footage is saved and imported from the C drive, so not any issues with external hard drives etc. Once a movie is processed, then i move onto an external drive.
And the Archieve option wasnt doing anyhting either.
Studio whatever the most recent versionnis, simply will not do what it it is supposed to do on my compouter and many amny others by reading their posts for help with similar issues, be it hanging, loosing work, not running at all, not importing files from the micro SD card etc etc.
Sorry Matt, but over 4 weeks of this an no further forward as far as customer services go, as it feels like they simply dropped my case and moved on to someone else.
I will send the case number via PM to you Matt.
09-16-2016 02:47 PM
Hi again @bonzo1,
Thanks for getting back to me. I definitely understand the concerns using the most recent version given your experience, and I also regret to hear there was such a delay with your support case. I have a couple other suggestions for you to try, but again it will be necessary to update your GoPro App for Desktop/ Studio combo. Otherwise we don't have much hope at all to get the issue taken care of. Here are the steps to try with the up to date software:
1) I believe @danielr15 already suggested this to you, but let's just verify. Please check the media bins in Step 1 and Step 2 (the side bars and including the conversion list) and remove ALL clips that aren't being used.
2) Make sure that all updates to your Windows 7 system have been completed, including to the OS itself. You don't need to update it past Windows 7, but just make sure it's the most up to date version of Windows 7. A system restore won't accomplish this.
3) Just to verify, there is no footage or photos in this project that were NOT taken with a GoPro, correct? All GoPro?
4) Make sure none of the footage has been altered by any other program before loading it into Studio.
5) And finally, I realize that you've already deleted the AppSettings file once in your support case with us, but we would like for you to try that one more time, this time right before you export the footage. Once again, this is a hidden folder, so you'll need to select to view hidden folders by going to the "Organize" option in any folder, and then select “Folder and Search Options” from the menu. This will open the Folder Options window. Next, click on the View tab at the top of the window, and inn Advanced Settings, locate "Hidden files and folders." Select "Show hidden files and folders." Delete the AppSettings file right before you export, and then let's see if it will go through.
Thank you again for your patience, and please let us know how that goes.
09-16-2016 04:03 PM
Just to add to what @mattb has instructed, be sure to save your project and reboot your computer after doing step 1) above. Also, make sure that you don't have any other programs running, including anit-virus/malware protection (just set it to sleep or temporarily disable with a wake time in an hour or two). Finally, just to rule it out, defrag your hard drive
Whenever I've run into an issue with GoPro Studio it's usually due to:
- Flux being used for more than a few frames and/or in a project with several clips (I now process Flux clips separately and have no issues)
- Projects longer than a minute or two that have any combination of 3 or more: speed variations, keyframes, Text files, .mp3 files, and clips with different fps and/or resolutions
- Auto save not turned off
- Not manually saving frequently
- Having programs running in the background
- Not restarting my computer prior to export to free memory
- Having more than 10 (ten) clips loaded
- Projects that contain time laps that is not converted to 1080
- Not having a large amount of defragmented space on my hard drive
- Expecting too much from a pretty amazing Free video editor
While GoPro studio is not perfect, it does have some amazing features. While people do report issues, compared to the millions of GoPro cameras sold, the number is still pretty small. There are no other action camera companies that offer free editing software that compares to GoPro Studio, however there are other free editing software options. Hopefully you can get GoPro studio working for you, but if not check out this forum to get an idea of what else you might want to try. https://www.reddit.com/r/VideoEditing/comments/19v6u5/basic_guide_to_pc_video_editing_software/