Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
GoPro Apps for Desktop
Tourist

Reviewing Entire Videos on Desktop/Mac (Not In Pieces) - Quik or Otherwise

[ New ]

Hi All,

So I've been using the GoPro Hero 7 Black, and recorded quite a lengthy video, 50+ minutes. When I went to review it on the desktop, Quik tells me I first have to import the media. I don't have enough memory to import all the videos, so I was thinking of shrinking them first. However, it seems the SD card auto caps the max file size at 4GB, so it broke up the entire video. 

In short, with Quik or another software, any way for me to access the entire clip in one file so that I can shrink it and work off that. I'd rather work off one file for editing purposes, rather than 5-6 different files, that make up the whole video.

Thanks in advance.

Accepted Solutions
GoPro

Re: Reviewing Entire Videos on Desktop/Mac (Not In Pieces) - Quik or Otherwise

[ New ]

Hi @stephenl385,

What happened to the files is what we call File Chaptering. These files when put together with editing software will play seamlessly as if they were never chaptered, and when played back from the camera directly will also play through as one continuation.

This chaptering is intentional and there is no way to keep the camera from doing so. Chapters are divided like this so in the event of a jolt or crash that causes a file to become corrupted, only a portion of your video will be effected and not the whole thing.

You can check this list of editing applications that work well with GoPro files as shared by a Hub member. 

There are also some software suggestions in this article that will help.

If you would like product or tutorial videos to better understand these other applications, I recommend searching online video hosting websites (such as Youtube, Vimeo, etc) for published videos or other 3rd party generated content.

Kind Regards,
Ann

View solution in original post

All Replies
GoPro

Re: Reviewing Entire Videos on Desktop/Mac (Not In Pieces) - Quik or Otherwise

[ New ]

Hi @stephenl385,

What happened to the files is what we call File Chaptering. These files when put together with editing software will play seamlessly as if they were never chaptered, and when played back from the camera directly will also play through as one continuation.

This chaptering is intentional and there is no way to keep the camera from doing so. Chapters are divided like this so in the event of a jolt or crash that causes a file to become corrupted, only a portion of your video will be effected and not the whole thing.

You can check this list of editing applications that work well with GoPro files as shared by a Hub member. 

There are also some software suggestions in this article that will help.

If you would like product or tutorial videos to better understand these other applications, I recommend searching online video hosting websites (such as Youtube, Vimeo, etc) for published videos or other 3rd party generated content.

Kind Regards,
Ann