Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
GoPro Apps for Desktop
Highlighted
Tourist

Renaming files

I renamed the video files that are saved on my computer to better organize and make sense of them.  Now, none of them will play in Quik anymore.  All of these files have been saved on my computer for some time, none are still saved on my gopro's sd card, so I cannot upload to my computer again and let GoPro name them for me.... how do I get my files to play on Quik again and is there no way to rename the files?

Highlighted
GoPro

Re: Renaming files

@nickp2118, how are you trying to import these GoPro media files into Quik? You can try to create a Media Folder and manually import media files into Quick for desktop. For further details, see How to Import Using Quik for desktop.

Highlighted
Tourist

The video files have been saved in Quik for several weeks.  I imported them by taking the sd card out of the gopro and putting it in the computer.  The files are also automatically saved in my pictures and automatically named with the date.  As soon as I renamed these files in my pictures, Quik can no longer play them and when I try I get an error message.  Now, Quik is not even opening on my computer!  I've had so many problems with this software since I got the camera and looking at some of the other posts on here, everyone else has too.  I've found a few posts where someone from GoPro responds saying that it is impossible to rename video files and still have them play in Quik.... is this true? 

Highlighted
GoPro

@nickp2118, gotcha. That's correct. I just tested this out and the Quik for desktop will not be able to see/locate the GoPro media files if they're renamed prior to import. You can try to rename these files back to their orinal filenames.

Highlighted
Tourist

How do I find the original name? It was something like GH001385839.mx4.... how do I find that again?
Highlighted
GoPro

@nickp2118, GoPro video files are in MP4 format. If it helps, see GoPro Camera File Naming Convention.