Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
GoPro Apps for Desktop
Tourist

Re: Quik playback is choppy

I realised most of the video editing softwares (on window PC) are having such problems. My laptop spec is good enough with i7 8 gen, 16 GB and 2GB Geforce MX150.

Sorry to say, GoPro video editing software is worse on PC. It crashes the whole system. On mobile, it works fine.

I m using free video editing software (VSDC). I still get choppy video on high FPS video but after I render the video (using the same software), it works for me. Since I m not a heavy video editor, I will use this method although I have to do extra step to render the video.
Highlighted
Explorer

Easiest solution is to use DaVinci Resolve (free) and use the LRV videos, automatically created in the camera, as proxy files. Just put them in a separate folder and change the extension to .mp4

Load original files into your editor and then link to LRV (changed to mp4) as proxies. Just about any computer can handle the LRV files. Just be sure to copy the files from the camera to your computer manually (Quik Desktop will not transfer over the LRV files).
Tourist

Hi Daniel. 

Thanks for the great tips. I will try this on my next project. This is very helpful:)

Regards,
Poh

Sightseer

Guys I sold my gopro, my karma grip, my mounts, my extra batteries and EVERYTHING ELSE.

What a dissapointment gopro. I can't freaking view 4k vids in your own software? VLC plays them fine. How do you expect me to edit the vids? 

GoPro

HERO6/7 Black's 4K resolution produces HEVC files.

These files are more demanding to process and requires desktop computers with more powerful processors.

You may try using 3rd party applications to edit your 4K videos.

You  may also check this thread for reference:

https://community.gopro.com/t5/GoPro-Apps-for-Desktop/HEVC-Quik-and-i7-8700K/td-p/81989/page/2

Thanks!

Sightseer

Good for you! sell them all away.   I am considering selling my Gopro black 7 too and never buying another Gopro again.

I contacted their phone help line, and they tell me it is my computer that is causing the problem.  They did not bother  to refer me to this  forum so that I can see that others are experiencing the same problem.

I nearly went out to buy a new computer for $1400!  

Tourist

Hi Guys,

I raised this same problem 2 years ago and have watched how others have written to say that they too are suffering from the appalling GoPro software. And whatever GoPro support says, a top-of-the-range new PC will not solve the problem. It is their software that is at fault not our hardware. I completely gave up on receiving any acknowledgement of the problem from GoPro, let alone seeing any fix from them. May I suggest, however, that instead of upgrading your PC (waste of time and money) or selling your GoPro (at a loss of course), you invest in some third-party video editing software. I bought MAGIX Movie Edit Pro Premium for around £80. It doesn’t require me to do any format conversion. I just upload my videos and start editing. It has all sorts of fancy bells and whistles that I will probably never use, but it allows me to easily produce videos with added sound tracks that I can either watch on my PC or burn to a DVD and play on my TV via my BluRay player. There are also plenty of YouTube videos showing how to get the best from this software. So, for £80, problem solved, and I don’t need to change my GoPro, which at the end of the day is a decent camera. I see on Amazon.com that the software is available for $80, which to me is a bargain. There are of course plenty of other software packages out there, including some free ones. I chose Magix because it had good reviews and didn’t break the bank, and I have never regretted the investment, which relative to the cost of my GoPro was small. On the other hand, if you prefer to wait for GoPro to fix their software, my two-year (and counting) wait is proof that it just isn’t going to happen!

Explorer

Actually, GoPro is working on a new desktop software. However, being that they are a hardware company that makes cameras and not a software company that specializing in editing software, it is taking more time to fully develop. You don't have to spend a dime on editing software, but of course if you want a professional editing experience, then you will. Windows has a video editor hidden in their photos app, Mac has iMovie, and there are plenty of free software editing tools available (DaVinci Resolve, which is a FREE and Professional editor, VSDC Video Editor, Shot Cut, VideoProc, which is good for lower spec computers, Blender, which is highly advanced and even allows for 3D modeling, ... and many more).

The nonsense of, "I'm going to sell my GoPro cameras because they don't have good editing software" is ridiculous. Sell your GoPro and get another companies camera. Guess what, you're in the same situation. You will still need to get a good video editor or be stuck with a very limited editor or none at all.

As far as Quik is concerned, the desktop editing isn't great, but it does work (with a decent computer). The mobile app is very good, so if you like the Quik style of video edit, you should try that. I have an i7 32GB NVIDIA GTX 1050Ti. It's not a powerful computer, but it has decent specs. Quik for Desktop works great for transferring media and uploading to the cloud. It's also very useful for viewing my media. i have absolutely no issues playing my videos. The editing can be rough, but it works. It's pretty limited, and I prefer the mobile app, so I rarely use it, but I have enough times to know that it does work.

If a $1,400 computer is an upgrade to what you are using now, then you most likely need a new computer. That is not a very expensive computer, so you may even want to future proof it a little more by upgrading the specs some. For ANY video editor, you will be best served with an i7 or better (at least quad core) 16GB RAM or better, 256GB+ SSD storage or at least a 7,200rpm hard drive (avoid 128GB SSD and 5,200rpm hard drives) and be sure to get a good NVIDIA graphics card (ideally a GTX 1070 or better).

Video editing is one of the MOST taxing processes you can do on a computer. If this is something you want to do, and want to do regularly without a lot of frustration and time, get a decent computer.