Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
GoPro Apps for Desktop
Sightseer

Re: Quik playback is choppy

[ New ]

+1 for the Quick app not working. Brand new Dell computer with more than enough grunt. 

GoPro and Quick should really get this rectifed ASAP. Not good enough for a 'premium' brand

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @hardybluff88356

I understand you have a brand new computer, kindly check on the Minimum System Requirements for Quik for Desktop

Also, we have on article on How to Correct Choppy or Broken Up Playback

Let us know how it goes.

Thanks!

Ej

Tourist

[ New ]

oh gopro you suck so bad in this thread. keep repeating "system requirements" like a broken record, although its not an issue for anyone. newsflash, we are yr costumers. we have bought yr expensive stuff. how about actually consider our feedback and give relevant feedback? you know, talk to us. at least pretend you care...

stay stoked Smiley Indifferent

Tourist

[ New ]

*relevant answers

@megabluff68040 wrote:

oh gopro you suck so bad in this thread. keep repeating "system requirements" like a broken record, although its not an issue for anyone. newsflash, we are yr costumers. we have bought yr expensive stuff. how about actually consider our feedback and give relevant feedback? you know, talk to us. at least pretend you care...

stay stoked Smiley Indifferent

Tourist

[ New ]

Well said megabluff. You beat me to it. I just can’t believe that GoPro keep churning out the same old nonsense. It’s akin to listening to a call centre operator reading from their mandatory script. Even being forced to listen to their lengthy Ts & Co is more interesting. The post referred to about how to deal with choppy video is banging that same old (broken) drum: system requirements and/or fiddle with the format to make things work. This is 2018 and customers expect to buy a product that works instinctively and intuitively with the “average” PC and without having to manipulate the format. Let’s face it, most PCs these days are able to run all sorts of other complex programmes and gaming is more demanding than most, and yet little old GoPro falls flat on its face. It should work first time out of the box. As megabluff says, please buy a dictionary and look up the word “Customer”. You have an awesome bit of hardware in the camera so why is your software so utterly useless. And there is absolutely no doubt that it is your software that’s at fault. None of us taking the time to post on this thread is likely to recommend your products to friends and when the day comes to replace our GoPro cameras, guess what. We’re going to look elsewhere. So the money might be rolling in now but you are setting yourself up for failure in the long term as a result of your unacceptably poor software and, even more unforgivable, your complete lack of interest in dissatisfied customers. It’s hard to believe that any tech company could behave so suicidally when there is so much competition out there. Lemmings jumping off the cliff springs to mind. But this has now become the dialogue of the deaf.

Tourist

[ New ]

I've been getting messages on this thread for some time now and I see the same responses as well. I've had my GoPro for several years and back then the editing software (GoPro Studeio} was good...not the best but I could edit without any problem. When they changed to Quick it was unusable. Since then I have upped my game on a computer which is way over the min requirements. 

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4 gig Ram
16 gigs of Ram
Intel i7-7700HQ 2.8 - 3.8 GHz processor

I still have issues with choppy play and difficulties editing. I now use Garmin Virb, Microsoft Movie Maker, and Divinci. 

I love the GoPro Quick app on my phone which is great and easy but the computer version sucks to no end. This is coming from someone who has been in Software Quality Assurance for many years...there are some serious issues with this software.

Hiker

[ New ]

Having the same issue as everyone else.  Judging from the apparent months of no solution, I may consider returning my recently-purchased GoPro stuff... all $1,000 of it.  What's the point of taking lots of video if you can't edit it??

Brand new Dell with GeForce 1070 Ti, 32 GB RAM, etc, etc.

Tourist

[ New ]

It's very frustrating and one of several glitches with GoPro generally. I decided to get separate video editing software and went for Filmora. I've been very pleased with it. If you've spent $1000 already then this would just be a further small outlay and well worth it.

Hiker

[ New ]

Awesome, thanks for the advice.  I'll check it out.

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @swiftwater82380

Sorry to hear about the playback issue.

Please check if your computer meets the minimum system requirements for Quik for Desktop.

In addition to this, here are some steps in correcting a choppy playback.

Thanks!

Ej

Tourist

[ New ]

I can’t believe that GoPro are still gong on about system requirements. If they read this long thread, there is a very consistent theme about the inadequacy of their Quik software. This includes comments from folk who, like me, have a high-spec machine along with numerous people who, again like me, have no problem playing and editing GoPro video using third party software. In my case MAGIX Video Pro 2016 at a cost of about £30,which works brilliantly. The way in which GoPro customer services is ignoring this issue makes one want to cry! 

Hiker

[ New ]

"Check system requirements" -- GoPro

"We meet & exceed system requirements" -- Customers

"But check system requirements"  -- GoPro

<< repeat indefinitely >>

I literally just got back from Best Buy to return $1,120.82 of new GoPros/accessories.  Solely due to their abysmal customer service.  Time to try their competition.

No wonder the company is going under.  Also I noticed their BBB rating is D- !!!  That's insane.

Tourist

[ New ]

you're trolling now rtight?

Hiker

[ New ]

About returning the stuff?  No.  Brand new customer.  Liked the hardware products for the 2 weeks I had it, but I can't edit the videos I take and GoPro is of no help.  Looking back through months of forums I noticed a recent pattern of GoPro apparently not supporitng their products.  I'm getting out while I still can.

After I bought the products I learned that there are rumors that GoPro is hurting as a company and could go under  (google it).

Also google GoPro's BBB rating.  Everything I said was true.

....I simply had no idea until AFTER I bought all my stuff.  Now I know and I'm staying away.

Anonymous

[ New ]

I've fought with GoPro over this issue for several weeks without much luck.  Their support isn't the best and all they can do is try to blame me and my PC without realizing/understanding that the Quik software shouldn't run like trash on an i7 with 16GB of RAM and a Nvidia GTX 960 GPU.

Anonymous

[ New ]

The support is trash.  Don't bother trying to get these people to "get it".

Anonymous

[ New ]

I have same problem on a top spec MSI machine. It is not hardware related as every other video player can stream the footage perfectly well. I ended up reselling my gopro fusion due to the issues with the gopro fusion software, bought an alternative 360 camera which is not as good hardware wise but at least the package software works properly. It is a shame to face similar issues with other GoPros also. Already wasted enough time on this. I use alternative editor and just have less good things to say when people ask me about GoPro. 

Tourist

[ New ]

Well I have that issue and I have a gtx1080ti

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @agileriver23805,

Have you tried running the app in compatibility mode or with graphics processor? 

Just right click on the app and you should see those options. 

Please let us know. 

Regards,

-Jay 

Tourist

[ New ]

I have a Hero5 Black.

I've just updated GoPro Quik (Windows 10 64bit) from version 2.6.0.730 to latest version (2.7.0.945).

Under "Media", right click on any video and select "View".

All playbacks are choppy, Gauges are way off the chart.

Uninstall the latest version and reinstall version 2.6.0.730, playbacks are back to buttery smooth and

the gauges displayed are reasonably accurate.

The latest version must have bugs with playbacks.
It is not a machine spec issue.

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @greencreek21008

Thank you for the information.

I'll have this passed to the team in charge so we can check further.

Please continue to check our website for updates.

Regards,

Ej

Sightseer

[ New ]

Is it possible for GoPro to provide the download link for V2.6 in the mean time?

I just bought a GoPro 7 Black recently, and Quick is virtually useless.

My computer is an i7-4790, Nvdia 1060Ti, 32GB RAM, and Samsung 850 EVO SSD running Windows 10

All other player can play the file properly, it's just Quick doesn't work.

Thanks

Tourist

[ New ]

**bleep**... did not realize there was a thread about the poor quality of Quik already.

I posted a detailed thread about my export quality issues here (w/ pics)

https://community.gopro.com/t5/Cameras/How-to-improve-Quik-Desktop-export-quality/m-p/252220

Sightseer

[ New ]

This is outrageous! Get Quik working again and do it quickly! Completely useless the way it is working now. And this is on a high spec newer PC. 

Sightseer

[ New ]

Very upset right now. Just got back from my honeymoon and was excited to see all the videos on the computer.... What a joke. I can't even watch a simple 7sec video. You'd think that with spending all this money on a new camera, you'd be provided a great platform to view/edit your footage. Unacceptable. 

Tourist

[ New ]

Try using v.2.6 of Quik.

v2.7 is broken.

Don't know who authorised v2.7 to be released.

It is a joke for people who paid good $$$ for their GoPro.

Tourist

[ New ]

Sad to say, but you only need to read this long thread to realise that GoPro are just not interested in fixing this problem, which far too many of us are experiencing. And don't listen to the GoPro mantra about your hardware possibly being below the necessary spec. Many with wizzo PCs that could take you to the moon and back without breaking into a sweat are also complaining.

My advice is not to waste your time complaining to GoPro - they're not listening - and do what I did and buy a third party program. I bought the MAGIX Video Edit Pro, which at £50 works a treat for my level of editing. Without it my GoPro footage is useless. 

Explorer

[ New ]
Explorer

[ New ]
BTW, Quik Desktop works fine on my i7 32GB Nvidia GTX 1050Ti. However, the software I linked to are all much better solutions for desktop editing.

When it comes to creating Quik videos, the mobile app has way more options and it doesn't limit your video duration to one minute like the desktop app does.
Tourist

[ New ]

I'm so disappointed with the new purchase of my GoPro 7 Black, that was a bad investment since I can't use the software to edit my clips.

GoPro get your act together...Smiley Sad

@danielr15 wrote:
BTW, Quik Desktop works fine on my i7 32GB Nvidia GTX 1050Ti. However, the software I linked to are all much better solutions for desktop editing.

When it comes to creating Quik videos, the mobile app has way more options and it doesn't limit your video duration to one minute like the desktop app does.

Hiker

[ New ]
What about VSDC and HEVC playback?? VSDC imports new codec and I suppose it cut/modifies, what ever, but if I try to playback some 20 second footage, it lags. Useless. Am I missing some driver , setting, something?
GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @ilpol3114,

What is the resolution of the video you're editing and what is the specs of your device?

Thanks,

-Jay 

Hiker

[ New ]

Jay, to get any benefit of a new devices, I'm looking for best resolution, latest codec.

Otherwise, there's no point for investing to a latest models if those can't be used.

Or, if I have to start converting those to a some older format. (Handbrake)

Camera is GoPro 7, 4k, 50 fps.

Laptop is Dell 7520, SSD  64Gb Ram.

As a reference, I can play two (haven't even tried for more) GoPro footages with VLC, simultaneously.

No lag. Smooth play.

Those were both the max size GoPro takes, nearly 4 Gb, 8min 51 sec.

With VSDC, 21 sec seems to be too much????

And - it's a plain video, no changes, transitons, nothing. Just imported video.

I hope I'm missing something, some setting, otherwise, this can't be true.

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @ilpol3114

Please check on these articles:

HEVC Explained

Minimum System Requirements for 4K Editing and Playback

You can also go over the information on this thread: https://community.gopro.com/t5/Cameras/GoPro-Hero-6-4k-60fps-Media-Laggy-and-Glitchy/td-p/67407

Thanks!

Ej

Hiker

[ New ]
Hi Ej
The guy in the thread You linked, seems to have newer hw as I do.
They're talking about reducing the quality.
Why would I spend any money for new device and use them as I would use the old and cheaper ones? (Handbrake)

If the hw is an issue in my case, why I can play two 4k 50fps videos, max size, simultaneously, with VLC, but none with this editor?
Or even manufacturers (GoPro) own choise?

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @ilpol3114,

It might be die to system limitation since it can only handle 2.7k and for some they can use 4k 30/24FPS.

Regards,

-jay 

Tourist

[ New ]

I'm afraid that, if you look back through this thread, you will inevitably conclude that the Quik editing software is not fit for purpose. The GoPro "support team" keep making references to hardware specifications. However, all of us that are complaining have reasonable or good hardware specs and I for one can play my videos without any problem using Windows Media Player. When it comes to editing, I'm afraid that the only way out of this cul-de-sac is to buy third party software. I bought MAGIX Video Edit Pro, which is excellent and easy to use. It cost me about £50, but when compared to the cost of the Hero Black, it was worth the outlay in order to edit my videos. Otherwise, I'd be stuck as GoPro have shown no interst in fixing this software issue despite all the complaints.

Tourist

[ New ]

I have the same problems, from this link you can download previous versions of Quik https://www.filehorse.com/download-quik-desktop/34430/

Tourist

[ New ]

So sad that the GoPro team is not seeing this thread neither acknowledging that they do have an issue.

Tourist

[ New ]

CPU: Intel i7 - 8750H - 6 Core

GPU: Nvidia Geforce GTX 1060

RAM: 24GB

SSD: 250GB Samsung Evo 

Also, I can not play videos in GoPro Quick. 

Hiker

[ New ]

For sure, this is not a hw issue.

Everybody, who has sent specs of their PC's, are exeeding specs required to play 4k videos.

The only conclusion, what can be made is, GoPro quik & VSDC, both, aren't cabaple of playing 4k videos.

Not sure is it will happen with a PC from NASA, but I can't test it.

Main question is, whether their support is going to fix that problem or not.

I'm sure, they're interested of this topic, and aware of, what customers are talking about their product.

And - aware of problems, customers are having with playback/editing.

So, support of GoPro & VSDC.

Try to be Your own customer, and playback 4k videos with Your own sw.

Then, with the same computer, playback it with VLC, or even several 4k videos, at the same time.

Then You can stop repeating talk of some hw issues.

When do we get a FIX??

Sightseer

[ New ]

I have a i5 6600k at 4.5 Ghz and 1080ti, 32GB ram and I cannot edit photage at all.

Playback is fine with hardware acceleration with windows 10's built in movie player.

Clearly what's lacking is that GoPro needs to impliment HARDWARE ACCELERATION from GPU.

Very dissappointed that I cannot edit the photage from my GoPro 7 Black.

Will NOT recommend GoPro products until GoPro addresses the issues of EDITING PHOTAGE.

Tourist

[ New ]

Don’t hold your breath! You only need to look back at this thread to realise that this problem has been ongoing for a very long time. If ever GoPro support bother to respond to a customer, it is only to question their hardware. As you and many others have discovered, it is NOT a hardware problem; the Quik software that is without question at fault. However, they are deaf to our complaints and show no interest in either acknowledging the problem let alone fixing it. My advice is to buy a third party editing program. There are many out there, some expensive, some less so. I bought Magix Video Edit Pro for about £50, which compared to the price of the camera was worth the investment. It does everything I need (using my current hardware!) and probably much more. Problem solved.

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi Everyone!

While this matter is still being worked on, you may use other editing software.

GoPro cameras create MP4 files, a format that is supported by many video editing programs. For other editing options on your home computer, we have had several customers give good reviews of Pinnacle Studio HD, Davinci Resolve,  Windows Movie Maker, Adobe Premier Elements, and Apple's iMovie and Final Cut X. 

For more advance video editing applications, please refer to DaVinci Resolve (Free Version) or Adobe Premiere Pro CC (Paid).

VLC Media Player is also a free downloadable video media player that supports MP4 H.264 files.

Thanks!

Ej

Tourist

[ New ]

Hi all,

DaVinci Resolve is great editing software.

I chose this route because Quik is completely useless. 

DR also works great for slower machines with the option to change the playback resolution and has render caching.

Give it a try It's FREE: https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/davinciresolve/

There are plenty of YouTube videos on how to use it.

Hiker

[ New ]

"

VLC Media Player is also a free downloadable video media player that supports MP4 H.264 files.

Thanks!

Ej"

Don't know bout the others, but I'm looking for HEVC, h.265 codec...

VSDC is recommended sw here... but with it can't play even unmodified footages.

Tried to install Davinci... but my brain is not capable of doing it....

Maybe Magic is worth of trying, based on price.

'Cause I'm not looking for anything special, from editing.

Should have browsed the internet first, to know, Gopro does not support it's own products.

Explorer

[ New ]
Try videoproc. It adjust settings based on your computer resources.
Sightseer

[ New ]
GoPro, you guys are a disappointment and an embarrassment to be named one of the healthiest employers in the Bay Area. Fix your systems, it's no surprise your slipping off the map. I give you 6 months, your support is **bleep**.
Explorer

[ New ]
Did you submit your resume?
Tourist

[ New ]

Pretty sure of all the people here to be sending Go Pro resume's you'd (Danielr15) be top of the list.