Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
GoPro Apps for Desktop
Tourist

Quik playback is choppy

[ New ]

I have just installed Quik on my HP Windows 10 laptop (AMD A6-7310 2.0GHz, 8GB RAM) but I am experiencing very choppy playback of videos. 

This is not a problem in Windows Media Player, where the playback is flawless.

Could you advise on a solution to this please?

GoPro

Re: Quik playback is choppy

[ New ]

Hi @fireyriver2848,

Playback issues are usually related to the graphics card being out of date or when not using your integrated card. Give this a try:

Right click on the application on your desktop, select run with graphics processor and then clicking "integrated graphics"

Let us know how it goes!

Best,

Ryan

Tourist

[ New ]

Hi

I do not have the option to run with graphics card when I right click on the desktop icon.

This is a newly built computer so I would be surprised if the graphics card is out of date.

I have tried Quik on my desktop PC and I have the same problem. 

On both laptop and PC I have no trouble playing the same files with other media players.

Tourist

[ New ]

I am having the same issue. Videos play just fine with the old GoPro Studio but with the Quik the video is so choppy it makes it impossible to use to do any editing at all. My computer has the latest drivers with the following specs

Windows 10

AMD Radeon Graphics Processor HD 5450
AMD 6300 3.5 GHz
8 GB Ram

Hiker

[ New ]

I have the same issue with Quick app. the videos I do are in 2.7k and 60fs. no problems in watching the files on the computer. But when I open the Quick to edit the videos and make a film it is almost "impossible" to use it because in the first 5-7 sec the video and the sound runs well, then the video starts to lag (it slows down) but the sound continues and in the end it is very difficult to work on the file. What is the problem? I have tried other video editors and it worked better. I undertand my laptop is not the latest model, but still RAM - 8GB, CPU i3 - 2.5GHz-Dual core. could it be because of the resolution of the video 2704x1520 (as shown by GoPro Studio)? By the way on GoPro Studio the video runs well but unfortunally I see that there are no big updates on GoPro Studio. I read articles on topics like that for other applications and people wrote that lagging is just in edint process, but after you export the file it works fine. That is true - it worked well for other video editor, as for Quick it is very hard to do an editing on the file. Could you add a "accelaration" on the soft with editing the file?

Anonymous

[ New ]

I am having the same issue.  I have all the required system requirements and then some.  Plaback is choppy only on Quik.  However, I got the gopro to use the very easy edit feature of it.  Any help would be awesome.  Works just fine on my phone, just not desktop version.

Anonymous

[ New ]

I do want to address the same issue. Once I go to edit the videos on Quik Desktop version, videos are choppy and takes forever to simply edit just one short clip. Any solutions out there?

Tourist

[ New ]

I have the same issue with jumpy and choppy GoPro (Hero4 Black) playback in Quik. HOWEVER, all references to the speed of the graphics card would appear to be spurious because, not only do I have an adequately fast 3.4 GHz intel i7 processor and a compatible high-speed graphics card with plenty of RAM, but all my GoPro videos play perfectly with Windows Media Player. So the problem clearly lies with the Quik playback software.

Hiker

[ New ]

I have the feeling that GoPro company doesn't care any more about the soft support and are focused to sell their cameras and start something new. Too many complains about the products quality of the last 2 versions and too many bags with the soft support :-( Very dissapointed!

Anonymous

[ New ]

I'm also having absolutely the same issue, can just add one detail - the only thing has changed on my computer to get this problem is installed the latest version of Quik for desktop (v2.5.1.462).

I mean the same files were playing smooth in previous version of Quik on the same machine with the same state of drivers and so on.

The mediaplayers were playing and are still playing the same videos without issues.

Just updated the Quik and got a new problem with it, again.

Such application development and/or quality assurance stages look not serious at all even for some small company, and should not be acceptable for such a big player on the market.

Tourist

[ New ]

When I bought my GoPro, GoPro Studio came as a free download. Alas, as a result of having to rescue my PC by re-loading Windows, I lost all my Apps, including Studio. To my dismay, Studio is no longer available, so all that I am left with is Quik, which doesn't work. My PC is fast enough and I refuse to reduce the resolution of my camera in order to work with Quik. And I am not holding my breath for any quick fixes from GoPro because their business is in difficulty (check it out on Google) and they are hoping that someone like Apple or Google will buy them out (see https://www.engadget.com/2018/01/10/gopro-nick-woodman-confirms-open-to-selling/ ). I don't need any fancy editing software, and with no fix for Quik on the horizon, I have been forced to order MAGIX Movie Editor Pro and move on with my life.

Anonymous

[ New ]

i agree. i have new laptop, it should be running these 4k vids fine - and when i download the codec pack - media centre, vlc etc all playback fine - but QUIK is a disaster - it needs to use different codecs i think - it's so jerky and clunky, it's unusable. not what i expected after justing having purchased a hero 5 session..

also - the videos run perfectly on the iphone?! surely that proves it's the desktop software that needs attention...

please sort this asap gopro - great camera, not so great desktop software.

Anonymous

[ New ]

Download the GoPro Studio software here: [Edit: Link Removed]

It works fine and plays the 4K files no problem.

(YET MORE EVIDENCE that QUIK is a not working properly on desktop - it has nothing to do with our hardware and everything to do with their software!) 

Anonymous

[ New ]

I had the same problem. My new dell laptop is a week old. More than meets the requirments. I can't remember exactly what thread I read it in but it appears I may have solved the issue, although not sure why. I uninstalled quik. Then I downloaded the previous version. Someone had put a link to it somewhere in the gopro forum. The previous version works. Then I updated to the lateset version through the gopro quik app. And low and behold, it works fine. Who knows why. It worked for me. I've been trying to solve this for a week. Hope this helps.

Anonymous

[ New ]
I tried this reinstalling. Hasn’t worked. Which versions of QuickTime and which Codec Packs are you using?

Thanks
Anonymous

[ New ]

Did you install the previous version? I am not sure how to tell which codec packs I am using. 

Anonymous

[ New ]
Sorry, I think I misunderstood. I thought by saying "previous version", you meant gopro studio, but you mean the previous version of quik? I'll try again... Thanks.

You'd know if you had installed the codecs. But it sounds like you probably haven't. Again,helpful. I'll let you know how I get on.
Anonymous

[ New ]

Yes, the previous version of quik

Tourist

[ New ]

Having abandoned all hope of getting Quick to work (and no longer being able to download Studio!), I went out and bought MAGIX Video Edit 2016. It wasn't expensive and works a treat. There are many more expensive programs out there, but this does everything that I want (and probably a lot more than I'll ever need).

The evidence that it is a software design problem that is preventing Quik from working for most (all?) of us is irrefutable, but I wouldn't hold my breath for them to fix it.

Anonymous

[ New ]
The latest version of Windows 10 has the photos app which is massively updated since the Creators Update, and also does similar stuff to quik. Just exploring it a bit now...
Anonymous

[ New ]

crap looks like im not the only one experiencing issues. has anyone been able to find a free or cheap alternative to Quik? i tried Resolve studio (i think thats what it was called) and it was too complex for my liking. just need something simple....

Tourist

[ New ]

Harleyc1. See my earlier message. I’m using Magix Movie Edit Pro 2016, which cost me £30 on Amazon and works a treat. I watched a couple of YouTube video tutorials and was up and running in no time. Very easy to use and looks as if it also has many advanced editing tools, should I ever feel so inclined. But for now the basic features allow me to quickly edit a number of video clips into one coherent video with a music soundtrack. I haven’t tried it yet, but it looks equally simple to add my own commentary to sections if I ever felt the need. Opting to buy this software was much better than waiting for GoPro to do anything with Quik.

Tourist

[ New ]
The right click option is not available on my computer. What’s the deal I even emailed you guys never got a response it did work and then all the sudden it didn’t work. There has to be another fix please help.

Mark
Anonymous

[ New ]

Also having this issue. Laptop has a GTX 1070 in it. Video plays fine in windows media player and film/tv app, but is shocking in quick.

I'm guessing by the amount of posts with this issue Gopro haven't fixed it yet?

Anonymous

Quik playback is still choppy

[ New ]

Dear all,

I have the same issue. I bought a complete new Laptop with i7 8550U 16GB RAM and Intel UHD 620.

All video stuff over 1080 with 60fps will be choppy. Means 1080 with 120 fps and all 4K video...

I already tried the latest graphic card updates and all windows updates and I also had contact with lenovo about this issue.

Everybody says this issues is depends on the GOPRO QUICK software.

The point is, I already had contact with Gopro and I did all requests from them with installation, updates etc. nothing helps.

So Gopro should accept the statement that the Problem ist based on they own software and not on the machine from us.

My big problem is, I bought the Hero 6 for over 500 Euro and a new machine to create nice videos and now? Nothing works.

The current price of the Heros should include some software support and they have to fix it. (My opinion)

Tourist

[ New ]
Hi Everyone
I think that we’re all agreed that the problem definitely lies with the GoPro Quik software and not our hardware. The longevity of this blog is enough evidence that GoPro are just ignoring us and are not about to provide a fix in the foreseeable future. As per my earlier comment, I took the view that having paid a hefty sum for the camera I would invest a further £30 on the MAGIC Movie Editor 2016 software. There are numerous YouTube tutorials, it’s easy to learn and does everything that I want, plus much more than I need I suspect. My strong advice is to everyone is to ditch Quik and buy a reasonably price software product from another supplier. There is loads to choose from and you can concentrate on editing your videos.
GoPro

Re: Quik playback is still choppy

[ New ]

Hi Everyone, 

Thank you for your feedback. We are forwarding this to our App team. We are always looking to our customers for areas of improvement so we appreciate your comments and suggestions. 

Best regards,

Marius

Anonymous

[ New ]
Hi Marius
Last week I went out and spent over 1000nzd on a hero 6 and attachments batteries etc at a store to my partners disbelieve, I tried to convince her was a good idea for bubba growing up, now like everyone else I see the software is unuseable, I’m now using it as an expensive paper weight till you guys can resolve it and I’m sure you can with an update..... can you give us a time on when this will happen as I’m getting an ear full as it is which is making my life hell thanks :)
GoPro

[ New ]

Hello @Anonymous, 

Sorry to hear about that. What particular issue did you encounter with using Quik for Desktop? For a more personalized support, please contact our Support team through https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs. This way, a dedicated team member will be able to help you. 

Thanks, 
Marius

Anonymous

[ New ]

Marius??! Really!? Are you reading this thread at all!?!?! 

*Shakes head and realises gopro quik is definitely doomed*

Tourist

[ New ]

I had decided to just ignore future comments about Quik being choppy because we were all saying exactly the same thing and yet nobody from GoPro was listening. This last post from Marius has proved me to have been 100% correct. My head was in my hands after I had read Marius’ response. They really do not have a clue do they? I begrudged spending hundreds of pounds on my GoPro only to then have to spend a further £30 on MAGIX Movie Editor Pro in order to edit my videos, but I have to say that it was £30 we’ll spent. It does all that I need and probably much more and I can **bleep** a snoot at GoPro for their woefully inadequate customer support. I chose MAGIX after reading a few reviews and because it was cheap, and must emphasise that I have absolutely no connection with the company. But it does what it says on the tin, which is more than you can say for Quik! 

Anonymous

[ New ]

Same as everyone else i gather.... I take a video in 1080 or 4k, upload it to the quik app to view or edit and it plays for 1-2sec then starts to jump then at about 4sec the program freezes then i have to ctrl alt del to end process because of not responding..

Anonymous

[ New ]
I must add i have a really new laptop with all the fruit that plays 4k videos fine in other apps
Sightseer

[ New ]

I just found a solution! I downloaded the 2.5.0 version and and my 4k footage playback is buttery smooth! 

Tourist

[ New ]

Same problem here.

Anyone have an answer to this months-old problem from GoPro? Or are they just ignoring customers?

Anonymous

[ New ]
Dear all,
I work in paralell to this conversation togeather with Gopro Support. I already sent some examples with the problem and the told me that they are working on it. Last feedback was to try version 2.4 and this version works much better but not perfect.
So please try to use version 2.4 and let us now how it worls for you.
Thanks
Anonymous

[ New ]

I'm just another with this same issue. Spoke with GoPro support that sent me recommended specs despite me already telling them my computer specs. Luckily I found this thread, while talking to the rep, and opened my videos in Windows Media Player, which ran them perfectly. I have to say that this is my first GoPro (Hero5 Black, bought yesterday) and I have a pretty bad first taste. At least for now I've found a temporary solution until I pay for a better video editor. Please fix Quik GoPro.

Anonymous

[ New ]

Just for everybody experiencing this issue in QUIK, I suggest you to try Garmin VIRB which is able to get a lot of metadata from gopro videos and is pretty good.

Anyway, hope Gopro fix this big issue soon. 

Tourist

[ New ]

so to sum it up, gopro knows that quik suck but dsnt care? i mean a video editing app that cant play videos..? and the "editing" options is basically a few cheesy stock music snippets..? bad beyond parody. but most ppl dsnt discover this until they have bought a camera, so no harm done for gopro i guess -_-

Anonymous

[ New ]
Yep.
Anonymous

[ New ]

I just purchased a hero 6 and accessories and tried using the softward to edit and add telemetry. What a waste of money and not needed frustration. Software is **bleep**. Where is the fix? Or how can i return this and i can go buy another product that has seperate gps information not embeded so i can use a different editing sotware. 

GoPro

[ New ]

Hello @Anonymous, 

Sorry to hear about the trouble - definitely not an experience that we would like you to have. What particular issue have you encountered regarding the use of Quik and telemetry data? See if the articles below would be of help: 

1. Gauges do not appear in Quik for desktop
  2. Overlaying Telemetry from GoPro Cameras in Dashware

Feel free to post back for any other questions, concerns. 

Best regards, 
Marius

Highlighted
Tourist

[ New ]

Marius,

Will you PLEASE READ ALL THE PREVIOUS POSTS. I can’t believe that you keep asking people what problems they are having. There are pages of people making it very clear why Quik is unusable. All you have to do is read them. Or are you deliberately ignoring us? 

Anonymous

[ New ]
How do you update quik to that version?
Anonymous

[ New ]

Is this fixed yet? And i followed the crummy directions on that link to the dashboard gauges and it doesnt work....

Tourist

[ New ]

Running Quick for the first time, v2.6.2.841. Same problem as everyone else – video playback choppy as hell on powerful PC. Plays back fine using VLC. Pretty damned disappointed at GoPro's pathetic response to this long-lasting, very widespread issue :-(.

Tourist

[ New ]

Here are the system requirements: https://gopro.com/help/articles/question_answer/What-are-the-Minimum-System-Requirements-for-GoPro-A...

The Quik software is a resource hog so make sure you meet the system requirements for what you are trying to do. Also, when they talk video memory they are talking dedicated memory. You can run dxdiag.exe on windows to check to see if your system meets the Quik software requirements.

IMHO - Gopro really needs to optimize this software.

Tourist

[ New ]

Thank you rockypeak50325. However, the bottom line is that Quik should run satisfactorily on any half-decent PC. You should not have to have the latest, fastest PC with mega memory. As I and other have discovered, our videos play fine in Windows, and in my case I can do everything I want with MAGIX Video Editor Pro, which cost me about £30. So, in other than a very few cases of people running ancient and slow PCs (eg XP), there is no doubt that it is the Quik software that is at fault and not our PCs. Alas, GoPro have shown no interest in even acknowledging the problem, let alone fixing it. In my case, having spent several hundreds of precious pounds buying the camera, another £30 to solve the editing issue was by far the quickest and most effective solution.

Tourist

[ New ]

hardyvista14573 Agreed!

The solution I received from Gopro support was to upgrade my PC so that I can run their free software.

I can smoothly play the videos on every piece of video software on my Windows machine except Quik. What does that tell me? That there is a problem with the Quik software code.

Maybe because its freeware that they are in no rush to fix the problem. 

Anonymous

[ New ]

I'm also having this issue, I only installed the software today after purchasing a gopro recently, I'm very dissappointed that after 7 pages of feedback nothing has been done to correct this problem.