Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
GoPro Apps for Desktop
Hiker

Re: Quik playback is choppy

I have the feeling that GoPro company doesn't care any more about the soft support and are focused to sell their cameras and start something new. Too many complains about the products quality of the last 2 versions and too many bags with the soft support :-( Very dissapointed!

Tourist

I'm also having absolutely the same issue, can just add one detail - the only thing has changed on my computer to get this problem is installed the latest version of Quik for desktop (v2.5.1.462).

I mean the same files were playing smooth in previous version of Quik on the same machine with the same state of drivers and so on.

The mediaplayers were playing and are still playing the same videos without issues.

Just updated the Quik and got a new problem with it, again.

Such application development and/or quality assurance stages look not serious at all even for some small company, and should not be acceptable for such a big player on the market.

Tourist

When I bought my GoPro, GoPro Studio came as a free download. Alas, as a result of having to rescue my PC by re-loading Windows, I lost all my Apps, including Studio. To my dismay, Studio is no longer available, so all that I am left with is Quik, which doesn't work. My PC is fast enough and I refuse to reduce the resolution of my camera in order to work with Quik. And I am not holding my breath for any quick fixes from GoPro because their business is in difficulty (check it out on Google) and they are hoping that someone like Apple or Google will buy them out (see https://www.engadget.com/2018/01/10/gopro-nick-woodman-confirms-open-to-selling/ ). I don't need any fancy editing software, and with no fix for Quik on the horizon, I have been forced to order MAGIX Movie Editor Pro and move on with my life.

Highlighted
Tourist

i agree. i have new laptop, it should be running these 4k vids fine - and when i download the codec pack - media centre, vlc etc all playback fine - but QUIK is a disaster - it needs to use different codecs i think - it's so jerky and clunky, it's unusable. not what i expected after justing having purchased a hero 5 session..

also - the videos run perfectly on the iphone?! surely that proves it's the desktop software that needs attention...

please sort this asap gopro - great camera, not so great desktop software.

Tourist

[ Edited ]

Download the GoPro Studio software here: [Edit: Link Removed]

It works fine and plays the 4K files no problem.

(YET MORE EVIDENCE that QUIK is a not working properly on desktop - it has nothing to do with our hardware and everything to do with their software!) 

Tourist

I had the same problem. My new dell laptop is a week old. More than meets the requirments. I can't remember exactly what thread I read it in but it appears I may have solved the issue, although not sure why. I uninstalled quik. Then I downloaded the previous version. Someone had put a link to it somewhere in the gopro forum. The previous version works. Then I updated to the lateset version through the gopro quik app. And low and behold, it works fine. Who knows why. It worked for me. I've been trying to solve this for a week. Hope this helps.

Tourist

I tried this reinstalling. Hasn’t worked. Which versions of QuickTime and which Codec Packs are you using?

Thanks
Tourist

Did you install the previous version? I am not sure how to tell which codec packs I am using.