Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
GoPro Apps for Desktop
Highlighted
Hiker

Quik place clips not on correct day in timeline

[ Edited ]

Hi,

Anyone who can tell me based on which (EXIF) metadata attribute Quik does the ordering of new movies after import from a Hero6 camera (but I guess from any Hero camera).

I have two clips that are always placed one day earlier in the Quik timeline than when they where shot. Although all clips from that date are in the same 'date'-folder and I do a (re)-Scan from the 'MediaFolders / Settings' menu in Quik, two clips are placed a day older in the Quik timeline under 'Media' .

I did some researching myself, and thought it might be the 'Media Created' attribute, but this is the same as all the other clips in that folder.

Anyone ideas ? Suggestions much appreciated.

TIA.

Highlighted
GoPro

Re: Quik place clips not on correct day in timeline

@bakxm 

That's a pretty strange issue I haven't heard of yet but I'm going to ask around.
Could you tell me your Device type / OS version / App version?
Could you tell me your Timezone?

Thanks!

Highlighted
GoPro

Oh sorry so I just realized that you were talking about Quik Desktop and not mobile... But when you say two clips you mean every time it's always two clips that are not at the correct date, even with a new batch of footage? 

Highlighted
Hiker

@haindash 

Thanks for touching base on this. Let me explain a bit more, cause I think I might have figured it out myself up to some degree. If there's any room for improvement , than thats yours to decide.

Some time back, my camera's time got reset to 1st jan 2015 (Hero5). It was summer 2017 back than. So every data (clips and photos) I created where stamped with the '1/1/2015' data. When I imported that data on my PC via QuikforDesktop , it was imported on the 1/1/2015 dates and ended up at the start of the 'media' timeline, all the way down.

As half of the content of that vacation had correct dates and the other half the 1/1/2015 dates , I was wandering if it was possible to get those 1/1/2015 content in the correct position on the 'Media' timeline.

First I started with renaming the folder (correct date) in the GoPro import folder, but that didn't work :)

Next I started looking at file (clips and photos) attributes and found the 'MediaCreated' attribute on the MP4 clips. 

... and thats where confusion started for me... :)

When you cut/paste date-folders in the GoPro media-import folder, it does get represented in the 'Media' timeline, eg those folders disappear and appear again once they get cut/paste back into the GoPro importfolder.

However, the clips and images remain in the QuikForDesktop database , so adjusting the 'MediaCreated' file attribute and copying them back and do a rescan, will end up with the 'old' (1/1/2015) data. I presume that's because QuikForDesktop will first look in it's internal database if it encounters a new filename (clip or photo) and then just takes that old timestamp.

Proper way to do it is, at least that's how I solved my issue.

- Copy (NOT Cut) the folder out of the GoPro importfolder.

- Edit the 'MediaCreated' attribute for the faulty clips to the correct timestamp.

- Start QuikForDesktop , go to Media

- Remove the media from within the application ('Delete'), I this both deletes the actual mediafile and clears (I assume) the internal database

- Shutdown QuikforDesktop

- Copy or Cut/Paste the corrected folder back into the GoPro importfolder

- Start QuikforDesktop and do a 'Rescan' of the media folder

- et voila... media import on the correct date.

Long story, hope this makes sense :)

Highlighted
GoPro

Oh woa that seems like a long process! 
So in the end, is it working as you wish?
I hear you about the date reset, I had that a couple times already and it's a bit of a pain to have half of your summer vacation footage dated to January 2015...... !!!

Highlighted
Hiker

Trail-and-error gets you there eventually :)

If you know how, than work isn't that bad. Only, adjusting the 'time' part of 'MediaCreated' can not be edited in Windows Explorer, only the date part. So that still gets (some) confusion on the Media-timeline. (small nuisance)

Only thing you might take-away from this for a next release of QuikforDesktop, is clearing out the internal database as well, when files are deleted inan odd way in the GoPro-Import folder.

BR