Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
GoPro Apps for Desktop
Nomad

Re: Quik can�t load the gps data from Hero 7

[ New ]
@paolov7532 as far as we know, Quik for desktop does not support Hero 8 and Max telemetry yet. You can check if your video files have GPS data here: https://tailorandwayne.com/gopro-telemetry-extractor/
Tourist

[ New ]

Just turning the GPS on is not enough, you have to power on the camera and then wait for the GPS to lock, which in my case normally takes around a minute. The GPS icon needs to be bright white, like the time display to the left of it, not a slightly darker grey.

Tourist

[ New ]

Dear Sir,

Can you just give me the folder of telemetric data? I'm a programmer Kindly help sir.  I think the problem is software not the hardware.  It's just open gps or wait whatever. GPS is on very easy and Gopro 7 is working fine with GPS data so I can use overlay gps meter on dashware but it is not show on quik software by GoPro however the quik software is adventage for donwload files and other feature we still need it.

Anyone please help to give "C:\Program Files\GoPro\GoPro Desktop App\telemetrydata"  folder.

Almost the problem they don't have any data in this folder. If you remove all data in this folder you will get same problem with other.

Can anyone who has completed data in "telemetrydata" folder of quick? Please help to share me. I think this is the real problems.

Best Regards,

Grisree

Tourist

[ New ]

Dear sir, 

Dashware is solution so don't worry but quik software is installer bug.

I think GoPro programmer know but don't fix because they give us for free. The folder of telemetrydata structure getting problem.

As some friend share to us. No image file no data structure and no XML to assign structure of Overlay meter.

Best Regards,

Grisree

Tourist

[ New ]

Same here.. I have a 5 and 6 and two 7s and the 5 and 6 had the data after the imports as normal but both 7s had nothing. I completed the imports from mobile device and from PC . The 6 worked as always but the 7s didn't and all that footage is great but useless without the speed as that is the only reason I am using the GoPros. ....  ( All devices where turned on at the same time a and complete the same track.). I have returned the 7s and have found people are saying online that they are having problems with the 8s and GPS also...

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @intense76

This has been reported to the team and they are working on it.
In the mean time, you may use the GoPro app or Quik for mobile to overlay telemetry.
Other users also suggest RaceRender or Dashware.

Thanks!

Ej

Tourist

[ New ]

You're kidding, right!?  We've been told that before.  How long does it take to fix a simple software bug that affects one of the core features of this camera.  It shouldn't take a year.  Nobody here believes you.

Tourist

[ New ]

Hi Ej 

I was not able to add the telemetry on my ipad or iphone after downloading it from the 7s. The footage taken on the 6 worked as always but was on the other bike. Both 7s where fully updated before recording. (I only tried the desktop app after I was not able to add the gps information from my tablet.)

Question. Are you saying that if I repurchased a few GoPro 7 Blacks today that I can for sure add the GPS information? 

(If that is the case I will purchase again today.)

Thank you

PC

Tourist

[ New ]

I wish I was kidding. I was going to buy a 8 and test it but I have just worked out that it will not fit in my karma. Love the device but it sux when you have to fall back to the 6 Black becasue the 7 don't work. My 5 worked perfectly also until the mount broke and I past it on the track on the next lap. giggle. ( i will purchase a 7 again this week and update here. )

Tourist

[ New ]

Hi All, same issues here.

Interesting: in 1 of my vids, I added the GPS data, everything remained static UNTIL a crash.  Must have shaken the camera enough to "wake it up" and then all of a sudden the speed and g-meter started actually showing readings instead of zeroes, or a static compass.

It was a very slow recording (fatbiking on fresh powder snow with max 10mph speeds).

Power-saving feature maybe?  Awakened by movement?  Perhaps cause the GoPro didn't think it was moving, it's like the sensors were asleep till the crash.

Hiker

[ New ]
Maybe you can try this.
I already try and it work.
https://youtu.be/VESFQYzbYo4
Nomad

[ New ]

Coincidentally, I've been working on a Windows and OSX tool that modifies the video files to force Quik to display the gauges / stickers.

As long as there is some GPS data, the performance stickers will be visible (that does not mean they will be correct, necessarily). It also enables the gauges in the new cameras, Hero 8 and Max.

Hope this is useful. It's available here: https://goprotelemetryextractor.com/#fix

Tourist

[ New ]

Yep, I FINALLY got it working today with my Hero 7 black. You HAVE to use GoPro Quik, GoPro Studio is clueless about GPS data. I'm glad this problem is finally behind me. It's been bedeviling me for months! 

Tourist

[ New ]

I can confirm the same... I purchased a 7 and was able to add the speed... it didn't work using the one touch button .. but turning it on first and then starting the recording it did... (my 6 works with the one touch button)

Tourist

[ New ]

I've noticed the same.  Vids that started recording after the GoPro was already on tend to have their GPS data available in Quik, whereas those that were shot using QuickCapture are missing it.

There must be a delay until the GPS signal is properly captured by the GoPro, and it seems like if the signal isn't available right at the moment when the recording begins, then too bad so sad for that one vid.

I've done a firmware update on the camera to see if this problem has remained on the latest firmware.  Will test and re-post.

Tourist

[ New ]

I can confirm today that you are correct. turning it on first them pressing record get me GPS data. just pressing record starts recording without GPS data....  

I hope they can correct this so the 7 works the sames as the 6 and the 5. 

Sightseer

[ New ]

i have the same issue. GPS on. the gauges showing perfectly on my mobile. but, when i upload to Quik PC its says no GPS data.

even already with updated applications.

Nomad

[ New ]
Correct. Updating the apps will not fix the issue for now. There are three proposed solutions:
- Wait until GoPro releases new software.
- Downgrade the camera to old firmware and do the xml config hack to Quik: https://youtu.be/VESFQYzbYo4
- Make your videos compatible with the GPS Quick Fix app: https://youtu.be/nY4LfVFViT0
Sightseer

[ New ]

Still an issue for me on Go Pro 8 whether or not i do the quick capture option. I'd expect this from a cheap knockoff from Amazon, not from GoPro itself! 

GoPro

[ New ]

@stouthero34342, sorry to hear about the trouble. Currently, Quik for desktop doesn’t support camera firmware updates or telemetry gauges for your HERO8 Black camera. We are focusing on adding this functionality to our latest GoPro Desktop application in the near future, but in the meantime, the GoPro App on iOS and Android can both update your camera and also add telemetry gauges as well. 

Sightseer

[ New ]

1 year has passed! Several firmware updates have been released. "No GPS Data" is still not fixed. Great job!

Nomad

[ New ]

To add some context, the GPS problems with the Hero8 are different from those in the Hero7 and previous cameras. Not that this explains anything, but just to clarify that they have not been working on the CURRENT GPS problem for that long.

The problem in the 7 is intentional, they don't want to show the data if the GPS Fix was not strong enough. With the 8, the problem is Quik cannot read the new data encoding.

Anyway, it really would take them a day or two to push the fix, so they just have other priorities.

Sightseer

[ New ]

GoPro Hero 8 user, with everything up to date, still cannot get GPS data in Quik for Mac. Another terrible bug is the very poor video quality, after your preciously created video is saved.

Will go with Insta360 next time.

Nomad

[ New ]
Having everything up to date won't help until GoPro release a new app for mac
Tourist

[ New ]

BUMMER - Use the GoPro 7 all weekend and the GPS data is ahead of the video.

My GoPro 6 is perfect but this 7 is CRAP.  I'm looking to swap the usless 7 for a 6 asap. 

Nomad

[ New ]
The out of sync gauges are usually not a problem with the camera, but with Quik version 2.7.0. You can solve it by using Quik 2.6.0 or 2.5.0, but then I'm not sure those versions are compatible with the Hero7 GPS data. You can convert the videos with the GPS Quick Fix app to make them backwards compatible (disclaimer, I made that app)
Tourist

[ New ]

still the same problem for me.no gps data.

please gopro ,fix this

Tourist

[ New ]

Hero 8 here, strange issue, in android gopro app I can turn on the gps gauge, and see the speed, but when I try to save it in Quick, no GPS data, and even in Timeline the gauge is not shown, but if I open the video from my mobile, its there. WTF really? How many days have to pass to fix this. Jeez!

GoPro

[ New ]

Hello @fastjump80521. Currently, Quik for desktop doesn’t support camera firmware updates or telemetry gauges for your HERO8 Black camera. We are focusing on adding this functionality to our latest GoPro Desktop application in the near future, but in the meantime, the GoPro App on iOS and Android can both update your camera and also add telemetry gauges as well.

Tourist

[ New ]

I am using Android Quick!!!!! Not desktop. This is so ridiculous. Like how can you not fix it in a day! My friends want to buy a Hero 8, what shall I tell them? No speedometer?

Nomad

[ New ]
Don't use Quik for Android. It's discontinued. You can create your stickers with the standard GoPro app.
Tourist

[ New ]

If I use the regular android gopro app for timeline videos, the same problem. No gps data/sticker, though on the video I grabbed from the cam it's there, on the tt editor no sign of any gps data. So what's the solution? Shall I tell all my friends to not buy this cam?

Nomad

[ New ]

If the Android app does not see the data, it's usually because the GPS signal is not as strong as the app expects. You can find some tips on how to improve your GPS signal here: https://community.gopro.com/t5/GoPro-Metadata-Visualization-GPS/GoPro-GPS-not-working-Performance-st...

Tourist

[ New ]

There is gps data, I can set the gps sticker on the imported files, but if I wanna do a video with Timeline story or Quick, it just dissapears. Also the recording is mid-air, so there is no obstructions. With my Hero 6 all works fine, so seriously, how can a company like that big make mistakes this huge? I am a paraglider racer, with many followers, if this issue wont be solved, I will advise against the H8

Nomad

[ New ]

I do not usually edit on my phone, so I have limited knowledge about that, but this advice has helped some users, could it be useful to you?

"For now if you save a media with a sticker to the App and then select it to make a multi-clip edit, it will not have the sticker. You have to first SAVE TO PHONE, then import it from there for the sticker to be displayed."

Can I have a look at your channel? Just curious.

I don't work for GoPro, but I suspect that what you tell your friends or followers will not make much difference in the type of support you receive. The support you can get here from them is very generic. This is a user to user forum mostly, so what you can expect is good advice from other users.

Tourist

[ New ]

Man, you are the best, that's a workaround, thank you! But why can't they fix this normally? Like this shall take one line of code. Seriously...

Here's some stuff we do: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79kMIFqKq4A

Sightseer

[ New ]

This forum started on 28.12.2018! Now I wanted to use GPS in GoPro Quick with my GoPro 7 Black and it tells me that I don't have GPS data. So in 16 months GoPro did not negotiate a remedy ??? I have the latest firmware, the last update of the Quick program, the mobile application shows GPS, but they are useless to me. I preferred GoPro to DJI precisely because of GPS, but now I regret the purchase (I'm not talking about freezing the device, which is really "pleasant" in gimbal).
I haven't found a solution anywhere except buying an external program, is GoPro kidding? I would ask GoPro to describe the solution, thank you.
Angry owner of Gopro 7 Black apologizing for bad English.