Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
GoPro Apps for Desktop
Tourist

Re: Quik can�t load the gps data from Hero 7

[ New ]

@cooljump62602 doesn't seem like it. Although I love GoPro, they fell short with so many aspects of the Hero 7 Black. Terrible battery life, glitchy and random OS freezes, poor functionality in cold weather, no GPS data with macOS, and the list goes on.

I really held out hope that customer support would address this issue and re-install my hope in the brand for future cameras to come, but we can see that it didn't happen.

I thought GoPro's mission was to build products that offered state-of-the-art technology paired with rugged architecture to enable the capture of previously unseen video in the craziest of places: snow, underwater, skydiving, you name it. But instead, I feel like they rushed the Hero 7 by cramming it with a brand-new, yet untested user-interface jammed packed with features that were not yet 100% functional (like the GPS data)

I will forever love my Hero 4 Silver, and will always choose that camera as a primary camera in situations where dependability matters more than quality. Dependable is not AT ALL a word that describes the Hero 7. I find it constantly freezing both on standby and while filming. 

I'm usually not a complainer about any product I get, whether that be on Amazon or wherever else, but for $400, you'd expect both better quality and better customer support... It's nearly been a year since I first saw this issue for the first time. So, the fact that we are still here discussing this is quite unacceptable. I'm starting to believe the most recent posts: DJI is probably going to be the brand that kills GoPro, especially with their success in the drone market. 

Even with all this said, I still have a flicker of hope left that GoPro is secretly spending their time and energy working on a redemption product that might win me over as a customer again. But for now, I'll be waiting for the long-awaited software patches to fix these kernel panics or whatever you wanna call them.

- Alex 

Tourist

[ New ]

GoPro revolutionized the action cam industry.... no doubt about it.

However, they have not been able to keep up with all the competition.

My opinion: GoPro is already dead!!

Their legacy is gonna be the mounting standard they introduced and all other companies followed.

I'm really not expecting them to fix this GPS issue anymore.

RIP GoPro!

Sightseer

[ New ]

Bonjour,

je rencontre exactement le meme problème avec la version quik pour windows

domage que le problème ne soit pas reglé dépuis janvier...

GoPro

[ New ]

Hello @philippes841. Sorry for the inconvenience. This issue has already been forwarded to the team in charge. We are still waiting for an update. We will definitely post about it once we get new information. Thanks!

Tourist

[ New ]

So here we are nearly half way through the year and all anyone from GoPro can say is 'sorry for the inconvenience'

Perhaps sacking or not paying the team in charge might help - because whatever it is that they are doing, it's not much!

This issue has been going on since last year. NOT GOOD ENOUGH GOPRO.

Sightseer

[ New ]

Unfortunately, GOPRO seems to be in survival mode. The Hero 7 black will be my last purchase as their is no excuse for this bug to have gone on for so long without resolution. The microphone adapter is out of stock everywhere and customer support can't provide an update on when, or if, it will be available again. Another company brought down by absent management that will blame the market instead of their own neglect.

Tourist

[ New ]
I’ve been traveling through Europe for two weeks, filming here and there, and I’ve actually had the Mac OS X app work occasionally. It seems it is very picky about the files and I’ve had success with the gauges if I power on the camera and wait 30 seconds or so before starting to film.
If I use quick start, where I just press the trigger when the camera is off, it doesn’t seem to get any gps data and gauges doesn’t work with the iPhone app either.
I need to do some more testing before I declare success.
Tourist

[ New ]

Did some short tests today, and I made sure that the GPS was locked on. Gauges then works in the iPhone app, but not the OSx app. It appears that the desktop app is picker about the files than the phone app.

Sightseer

[ New ]

I have just had this issue trying to add stickers on the desktop version of Quik, with no luck. It did work in the app on ios, as others have suggested. 

Will trim the clips on the desktop app, then transfer back to the phone to add stickers adn see if i have any luck. 

Trimming big files on the phone is an absolute pain. 

Really disappointing that this hasnt been fixed have been raving about my upgrade to the 7, but has been a bit glitchy from the start, and this is topping it off. Fingers crossed for a fix soon.

Hiker

[ New ]
When will the application be corrected?
Nomad

[ New ]

For those wanting to know wether your video file contains GPS data or not, you can quickly find out (and view your GPS track + sensor data) with this online tool

https://tailorandwayne.com/gopro-telemetry-extractor/

Tourist

[ New ]

@roberta1477 wrote:
When will the application be corrected?

Never. The application will never be corrected. There is no money in fixing this app, so GoPro has moved on to the next piece of buggy harware to sell. It should be pretty obvious by now that exactly ZERO work is being done on the app.

Tourist

[ New ]

Never!

Hiker

[ New ]

@sunnyhero21776 You're right. If they did not do anything for six months, then there is no hope :(

Tourist

[ New ]

I am having the same issue + no accurate speed & gps data.

Any luck?

Tourist

[ New ]

We are going on two years without this problem being solved. As a computer science student, I don’t think this should be that big of an issue, especially since GoPro is a huge advocate for both windows and Mac systems to use alongside their cameras. I am personally having the problem on Mac, but I see people are having the same problem on other operating systems. This clearly means that it’s a problem with the software and not the platform or compatibility. As many others have said in the thread, go Pro is way more worried about launching a new product which probably will have tons of bugs and problems rather than fixing their own current cameras and making them the best performing products on the market. They really only care about the marketshare.  So, I would never expect this problem to get fixed anytime.  Go pro is constantly giving me more and more reasons to just make a switch to DJI, Especially considering their huge success with drones and GoPros terrible failure with theirs. GoPro clearly has immense talent in the computer engineering department with making beautiful, and (previously) functional cameras that were the leader in the industry, but they spend so little time perfecting the software and the features that they promised to the consumers. Of course, I would rather support an American company rather than another Chinese technology company, but these bugs and issues with the cameras become harder and harder to ignore, this being one of them.  Not to mention the constant freezing and random restarts that I experience while filming on the Hero 7. I’ve tried firmware updates software refreshes, factory reset, different battery types, different film settings, and still nothing. 

By no other technology company have I ever had to wait nearly 2 years and still hope that there will be a solution to a widespread problem and fix the feature that they promised before I purchased their product. But, at this point, I wouldn’t be holding your breath. Probably time to switch to DJI.

Tourist

[ New ]

I have the same issue reported by others. I have a month-old (June 2019 purchase) Hero 7 black. Settings indicate GPS is turned on. When I open videos in Quik (latest version) it says "no GPS data". 

Tourist

[ New ]
Apparently it is not enough to turn GOS on, you need to verify that it is locked, which can be verified by the GPS icon being solid. For me it can take upwards of a minute for it to lock, and I have not had a problem when I verify this before starting a recording. Obviously the quick record will not capture GPS data as it starts recording before the GPS is locked.
GoPro

[ New ]

Hi Everyone!

We are still waiting for updates regarding GPS overlay via Quik for desktop.

In the mean time, you may use Quik for mobile.

Other users also suggest RaceRender or Dashware.

Regards,
Ej

Tourist

[ New ]

That's good to know! I can try that this weekend on my next ride.

Nomad

[ New ]

Just an update for those wanting to know wether their videos have GPS data or not. The GoPro Telemetry Extractor now creates graphs instantly for you to visualise the location, speeds... and other sensor data: https://tailorandwayne.com/gopro-telemetry-extractor/

GX010035_1_GPS5_Alt.2D speed3D speed.png

GX010164_1_GPS5_2D speed3D speed (2).png

Tourist

[ New ]

GoPro support - how about providing some transparency and feedback? Is this problem scheduled to be fixed or not? Are you working on it? Researching it? 

Tourist

[ New ]

I'm convinced that my videos have GPS data. Other applications detect the data. BTW - I'm on a road bike, not in a car. I don't want a speedometer displayed over the video. I just want the digits to show up in one corner. 

Tourist

[ New ]

This has been going on for long now, I don't think that GoPro give a **bleep** anymore...

Tourist

[ New ]

You may very well be right! Sure would like to hear from them anyway. What we don't want is for them to ignore the issue. 

Sightseer

[ New ]
I have exactly the same issue.
Their software is a nightmare.
GoPro Studio for mac doesn't import HVEC videos made by their own GoPro, while any video player on mac plays them just fine. GoPro Quick does not allow me to add GPS overlays, while the data is there.
The iOS app doesn't want to connect to the camera most of the time, but for some reason erasing it and adding it again works flawlessly.
Add to this the fact that my GoPro 7 freezes if I push it too hard (1080p50fps + image stabilisation), and no it's not the SD card, and we have a serious mess on our hands.
Time to look at some competitors, because it's getting ridiculous.
Sightseer

[ New ]

GPS data doesn't work in the app. And if you copy the videos over, and delete them from the gopro, then copy them back to the gopro, you will not be able to do it there either. Straight trash device. "GoPro" more like "GoTroubleshootAPoorQualityProductAndSoftware"

Tourist

[ New ]
I’ve said it before, I had problems initially, but I figured out that one needs to make sure the GPS is synced before starting a recording. It may take up to a minute after powering the unit up.

I was using it just the other day, no problem. When I downloaded the video I was notified of a firmware update, which I installed. Have not tried it since but I don’t anticipate any problems.

I’m using the Mac version of the app. I tried the windows app on my work computer running Windows 10, but that would crash constantly.
Tourist

[ New ]

Not sure that GoPro care any more. They certainly haven't put any effort into taking care of their customers.

They would rather spend huge bucks on entertaining their 'family' out there at events like the Mountains Games (who they also lavish gifts on) and sponsoring events like the MotoGP at Silverstone (I'm a huge MotoGP fan... Smiley Happy).

Perhaps they could lavish some love on those out there who buy their products and keep them in business..? Smiley Sad

Tourist

[ New ]

I just reinstalled the desktop app on my Windows 10 laptop and either that solved the crashing problem or else some windows update did.

I imported the four video files I recorded last Saturday, and only the first one, which I started while the car was sitting in the garage, did not have GPS data.

I backed out of the garage and stopped the recording and a minute later I started a new recording. I stopped the recording while I was filling the car up at the gas station and started it again when I drove off, and stopped and started again after a short stop. The last three recordings all have GPS data and I can enable the gauges in the Quik app.

For those having problems with GPS data, turn the camera on, but don't start recording until you see that the GPS is locked (GPS icon solid).

Can those who are having problems with GPS data please check if this solves their problems?

I no longer have problems with GPS data with either of the apps, iPhone, Mac, Windows, after I found this out.

Obviously Quick Recording does not work if you want to have GPS data recorded, you *must* wait for the GPS to lock before starting a recording.

Sightseer

[ New ]

Hi @aragon1006 ,

Any updates on this? Just got gifted a gopro hero 7 black and can't use gps information... 

Sightseer

[ New ]

Hi, i have the same problem, iphone X create the video with the complete data, sometimes with a delay...

Mac OS absolutely does not see any data...  But GPS work perfectly, race render 3 see all!!

In my opinion this is a bad app with a low level support... this tread is a clear example 8 months for a problem!!!!!

Sightseer

[ New ]

I just got a GoPro Hero 7 Black and Quik doesn't recognise the GPS in the video, have to use DashWare instead.

And don't even get me started on how Quik doesn't allow you to upload specific files and forces you to upload the full SD card at once, I am extremely dissapointed with GoPro's support software its bad enough to make me sell the camera and buy a competitors.

GoPro

[ New ]

@nimblesurf1583, this issue has already been shared with the team in charge. We’ll do our best to keep everyone posted as soon as we have any further updates. In the meantime, you may use Quik for Mobile or should you need to use a desktop app, many users suggest Racerender or Dashware. 

Tourist

[ New ]

GOPRO IS DEAD!!!! THE ONLY LEGACY IS GONNA BE THE MOUNT SYSTEM!!!

NOT ANY GOOD IMPROVEMENTS ON THE CAMERAS, THE SOFTWARE/APPS ARE THE WORST AND THE CUSTOMER SUPPORT Smiley Frustrated

When a company cant solves a TRIVIAL problem on its product and keeps LYING to their customers saying they are working on it (which CLEARLY they ARENT!!!), and on top of that they basically HAVE to say: "Hey use... this another software bc ours sux and we are not gonna fix it!!!"... then you know a company is DEAD!!!! OH... and the stocks... worth nothing!!!

There are SO MANY better action cameras than GoPro... I was a big fan until Hero 3... after that, with so many competitors, they just went downhill with crap products and apps.

Nomad

[ New ]

For those of you that can use After Effects and are looking for an alternative to display telemetry, I just published a template with customizable gauges.

For now, these include:

- Speedometer

- GPS path

- Altitude & total distance

- Total G Force

- Total rotation

I plan on adding more (accelerometer by components, ISO, shutter speed). So I'm open to suggestions.

You can get the speedometer here to see if the template style works for you: 

https://prototyping.barcelona/AESpeedometer.zip

You have to extract the telemetry first with the GoPro Telemetry Extractor.

And the full project with all the gauges is available here at the bottom: https://prototyping.barcelona/gopro-telemetry-extractor-premium/

Hope you guys like this, happy to answer any questions.

Tourist

[ New ]

Just received a Hero7B. No GPS data on desktop Quik app. Came online to find that I am not alone. Also found that I am out several hundred dollars for this feature not to work. Maybe I should have waited until the 8 was released..

Nomad

[ New ]

Well, if the problem is in the Quick software, upgrading to the Hero8 won't help. Unless they release a new version of Quick then (which should be compatible with older hardware).

If you guys want to discuss software alternatives, you can join us in the Metadata group: https://community.gopro.com/t5/GoPro-Metadata-Visualization/gp-p/Hero5MetadataVisualisation

Tourist

[ New ]

If you just make sure that the GPS is locked in the camera before starting a clip, check that the GPS icon is solid white, then the desktop apps will work with gauges, both the Mac OSx and Windows 10 apps work.

I verified this just this weekend, when I shot several clips, all works flawlessly with both desktop apps.

I assume the desktop apps won't show the gauges feature unless there is GPS data in the stream right from the start.

I had the same problem when I started using the camera, but when I realized that the GPS must be locked before starting it has worked without problems since.

Tourist

[ New ]

All VDO from GoPro 7 black will included GPS data already because I have checked by verify software but the problem is Quik software not the camera. I guess the programmer worked on IOS mobile phone which it is different problems so they don't know how to solve it on other platform such as Win10 or Andriod (I have no Iphone in my hand).

Please solve it man!

Tourist

[ New ]

Like we all said, GoPro cares more about the hype of their next camera rather than supporting the ones they already released. And truth be told, they just released their Hero 8. No surprise there.

If you're still upset and you want a camera from a company that delivers on all their promises, I would rethink going with GoPro. Their support is truly awful and their previous suggestions were both useless and insulting, saying that it's more of a user problem than a product problem.

There's clearly an issue with the camera communicating with PC/Mac Quik, but they would rather turn their cheek than address the problem and fix it, and instead have suggested using 3rd party software to get their dashware working? Seriously unprofessional and flat out laughable.

#DoneWithGoPro

Tourist

[ New ]

I have said it many times before, you neeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeed to switch the camera on AND wait for the GPS icon to be lit before you start recording. Using the quick record feature is NOT going to work.

See https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opuwyO-ToLs and read all the comments. The video is missing the VITAL information that you MUST wait for the GPS icon to be lit before starting to record.

I had this problem as a new GoPro owner but once I figured this out, I have had no more issues with missing GPS data.

If you have enabled gps on your GoPro but still cannot enable telemetrics in Quick then you need to watch this video!
Tourist

[ New ]

I'll try again, as I just used my H7 at the beach about 2 weeks ago. The thing is, I ALWAYS wait until the GPS is locked. I know the video has GPS data because the Quik mobile app works PERFECTLY and has all the GPS data, yet the Mac & PC Quik does not. Why is that?

Tourist

[ New ]

Dear Friend, 

That's first thing that I have done before I posted here. I cannot help.  I always open it before I close and I see signal and I never close it forever

I'm not lucky I have not Apple product in my hand.

All quik are not work at my side. If you show how you work with another vdo. I wll appreciate.

Best Regards,

Grisree

Tourist

[ New ]

Are you sure you waited for the GPS icon to turn white, not just grey?

Tourist

[ New ]

Yes I'm sure. It's easy. I go to dashware all it come as completed but I have to load Hero7SilverGPMF.xml for template files for reference.

Actually I tried many time it's not make long time for GPS icon it is easy and locked strong it's good camera.

Can you kindly show this folder to me in quick desktop? 

(Version 2.7 or later)

C:\Program Files\GoPro\GoPro Desktop App\telemetrydata\  

If you can use this folder is not empty but it's empty for me even I have installed many times.

Please show me this file in folders "telemetrydata"  and give me zip files for all template of this folder.   However if it is work fine, you will help all users in the world.

Appreciate friend.

Regards,

Grisree

Tourist

[ New ]

Here is what the folder look like on my win 10 system.

And for me it takes about a minute for the GPS to lock

PS C:\Program Files\GoPro\GoPro Desktop App\telemetrydata> tree /f
Folder PATH listing
Volume serial number is ACD1-A5F7
C:.
│   CORCOEF
│   EGM96
│
├───DataProfiles
│       FusionGPMF.xml
│       Hero5GPMF.xml
│       Hero6GPMF.xml
│       Hero7BlackGPMF.xml
│       Hero7SilverGPMF.xml
│       KarmaGPMF.xml
│       SampleCSV.xml
│
├───Fonts
│       NotoSansCJKjp-Black.otf
│       NotoSansCJKjp-DemiLight.otf
│       proximanova-bold.eot
│       ProximaNova-Bold.otf
│       proximanova-bold.svg
│       proximanova-bold.ttf
│       proximanova-bold.woff
│       proximanova-extrabold.eot
│       proximanova-extrabold.svg
│       proximanova-extrabold.ttf
│       proximanova-extrabold.woff
│       proximanova-light.eot
│       ProximaNova-Light.otf
│       proximanova-light.svg
│       proximanova-light.ttf
│       proximanova-light.woff
│       proximanova-regular.eot
│       ProximaNova-Regular.otf
│       proximanova-regular.svg
│       proximanova-regular.ttf
│       proximanova-regular.woff
│       proximanova-semibold.eot
│       proximanova-semibold.svg
│       proximanova-semibold.ttf
│       proximanova-semibold.woff
│
├───Settings
│       DataTypes.xml
│       GoProTelemetry.i18n.de_XX.json
│       GoProTelemetry.i18n.en_XX.json
│       GoProTelemetry.i18n.es_XX.json
│       GoProTelemetry.i18n.fr_XX.json
│       GoProTelemetry.i18n.it_XX.json
│       GoProTelemetry.i18n.ja_XX.json
│       GoProTelemetry.i18n.ko_XX.json
│       GoProTelemetry.i18n.pt_XX.json
│       GoProTelemetry.i18n.ru_XX.json
│       GoProTelemetry.i18n.zh_XX.json
│       Localization.json
│       trackDB.xml
│
└───Templates
    ├───Hero5_Template_Imperial
    │   │   project.cdp
    │   │
    │   └───Gauges
    │       ├───GoPro GPlot
    │       │       gauge.xml
    │       │
    │       ├───GoPro Logo
    │       │       logo_shadow.png
    │       │       logo_white.png
    │       │
    │       ├───GoPro Map
    │       │       dot.png
    │       │       dot_shadow.png
    │       │
    │       ├───GoPro Speed Chart
    │       │       dot.png
    │       │
    │       ├───GoPro Speedometer
    │       │       arrow_heading.png
    │       │       dot.png
    │       │
    │       └───GoPro Stat Box
    │               gauge.xml
    │
    ├───Hero5_Template_Imperial_Mobile
    │   │   project.cdp
    │   │
    │   └───Gauges
    │       ├───GoPro GPlot
    │       │
    │       ├───GoPro Logo
    │       │       logo_shadow.png
    │       │       logo_white.png
    │       │
    │       ├───GoPro Map
    │       │
    │       ├───GoPro Speed Chart
    │       │       dot.png
    │       │
    │       └───GoPro Speedometer
    │               arrow_heading.png
    │               dot.png
    │               dot_shadow.png
    │               gauge.xml
    │
    └───Hero5_Template_Metric
        │   project.cdp
        │
        └───Gauges
            ├───GoPro GPlot
            │       gauge.xml
            │
            ├───GoPro Logo
            │       gauge.xml
            │       logo_shadow.png
            │       logo_white.png
            │
            ├───GoPro Map
            │       dot.png
            │       dot_shadow.png
            │       gauge.xml
            │
            ├───GoPro Speed Chart
            │       dot.png
            │       dot_shadow.png
            │       gauge.xml
            │
            ├───GoPro Speedometer
            │       arrow_heading.png
            │       dot.png
            │       dot_shadow.png
            │       gauge.xml
            │
            └───GoPro Stat Box
                    gauge.xml
Tourist

[ New ]
Dear sir,
Yes! I dont have any folder as your list so it should be true solution.
I tried on another app it can work fine. But it is not work for the quik software by gopro.
Can u send those folder zip to my mail? thefreebird.l@gmail.com
Thks friend.
Tourist

[ New ]

Have you tried just reinstalling the app?

Is your system supported? Apparently Win 10 64 bit only or OSx 10.10.x

I just removed and installed the app and the telemetry folder is there and populated.

Sightseer

[ New ]

Buongiorno, anche io ho lo stesso problema con la Hero 6 black.

Dopo aver fatto l'aggiornamento su Imac di Quik desktop,

non riesco più ad attivare i contatori. Nemmeno gli ultimi video fatti con la nuova Max 8. 

Le riprese video sono state fatte tutte con GPS acceso......

Ho provato di tutto ma non c'è verso. Attendo suggerimenti. Grazie