Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
GoPro Apps for Desktop
Tourist

Re: Quik can�t load the gps data from Hero 7

I'm convinced that my videos have GPS data. Other applications detect the data. BTW - I'm on a road bike, not in a car. I don't want a speedometer displayed over the video. I just want the digits to show up in one corner. 

Tourist

This has been going on for long now, I don't think that GoPro give a **bleep** anymore...

Tourist

You may very well be right! Sure would like to hear from them anyway. What we don't want is for them to ignore the issue. 

Sightseer

I have exactly the same issue.
Their software is a nightmare.
GoPro Studio for mac doesn't import HVEC videos made by their own GoPro, while any video player on mac plays them just fine. GoPro Quick does not allow me to add GPS overlays, while the data is there.
The iOS app doesn't want to connect to the camera most of the time, but for some reason erasing it and adding it again works flawlessly.
Add to this the fact that my GoPro 7 freezes if I push it too hard (1080p50fps + image stabilisation), and no it's not the SD card, and we have a serious mess on our hands.
Time to look at some competitors, because it's getting ridiculous.
Sightseer

GPS data doesn't work in the app. And if you copy the videos over, and delete them from the gopro, then copy them back to the gopro, you will not be able to do it there either. Straight trash device. "GoPro" more like "GoTroubleshootAPoorQualityProductAndSoftware"

Tourist

I’ve said it before, I had problems initially, but I figured out that one needs to make sure the GPS is synced before starting a recording. It may take up to a minute after powering the unit up.

I was using it just the other day, no problem. When I downloaded the video I was notified of a firmware update, which I installed. Have not tried it since but I don’t anticipate any problems.

I’m using the Mac version of the app. I tried the windows app on my work computer running Windows 10, but that would crash constantly.
Tourist

Not sure that GoPro care any more. They certainly haven't put any effort into taking care of their customers.

They would rather spend huge bucks on entertaining their 'family' out there at events like the Mountains Games (who they also lavish gifts on) and sponsoring events like the MotoGP at Silverstone (I'm a huge MotoGP fan... Smiley Happy).

Perhaps they could lavish some love on those out there who buy their products and keep them in business..? Smiley Sad

Tourist

I just reinstalled the desktop app on my Windows 10 laptop and either that solved the crashing problem or else some windows update did.

I imported the four video files I recorded last Saturday, and only the first one, which I started while the car was sitting in the garage, did not have GPS data.

I backed out of the garage and stopped the recording and a minute later I started a new recording. I stopped the recording while I was filling the car up at the gas station and started it again when I drove off, and stopped and started again after a short stop. The last three recordings all have GPS data and I can enable the gauges in the Quik app.

For those having problems with GPS data, turn the camera on, but don't start recording until you see that the GPS is locked (GPS icon solid).

Can those who are having problems with GPS data please check if this solves their problems?

I no longer have problems with GPS data with either of the apps, iPhone, Mac, Windows, after I found this out.

Obviously Quick Recording does not work if you want to have GPS data recorded, you *must* wait for the GPS to lock before starting a recording.