Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
GoPro Apps for Desktop
Highlighted
Tourist

Re: Quik can�t load the gps data from Hero 7

I am having the same issue + no accurate speed & gps data.

Any luck?

Highlighted
Tourist

We are going on two years without this problem being solved. As a computer science student, I don’t think this should be that big of an issue, especially since GoPro is a huge advocate for both windows and Mac systems to use alongside their cameras. I am personally having the problem on Mac, but I see people are having the same problem on other operating systems. This clearly means that it’s a problem with the software and not the platform or compatibility. As many others have said in the thread, go Pro is way more worried about launching a new product which probably will have tons of bugs and problems rather than fixing their own current cameras and making them the best performing products on the market. They really only care about the marketshare.  So, I would never expect this problem to get fixed anytime.  Go pro is constantly giving me more and more reasons to just make a switch to DJI, Especially considering their huge success with drones and GoPros terrible failure with theirs. GoPro clearly has immense talent in the computer engineering department with making beautiful, and (previously) functional cameras that were the leader in the industry, but they spend so little time perfecting the software and the features that they promised to the consumers. Of course, I would rather support an American company rather than another Chinese technology company, but these bugs and issues with the cameras become harder and harder to ignore, this being one of them.  Not to mention the constant freezing and random restarts that I experience while filming on the Hero 7. I’ve tried firmware updates software refreshes, factory reset, different battery types, different film settings, and still nothing. 

By no other technology company have I ever had to wait nearly 2 years and still hope that there will be a solution to a widespread problem and fix the feature that they promised before I purchased their product. But, at this point, I wouldn’t be holding your breath. Probably time to switch to DJI.

Highlighted
Tourist

I have the same issue reported by others. I have a month-old (June 2019 purchase) Hero 7 black. Settings indicate GPS is turned on. When I open videos in Quik (latest version) it says "no GPS data". 

Highlighted
Tourist

Apparently it is not enough to turn GOS on, you need to verify that it is locked, which can be verified by the GPS icon being solid. For me it can take upwards of a minute for it to lock, and I have not had a problem when I verify this before starting a recording. Obviously the quick record will not capture GPS data as it starts recording before the GPS is locked.
Highlighted
GoPro

Hi Everyone!

We are still waiting for updates regarding GPS overlay via Quik for desktop.

In the mean time, you may use Quik for mobile.

Other users also suggest RaceRender or Dashware.

Regards,
Ej

Highlighted
Tourist

That's good to know! I can try that this weekend on my next ride.

Highlighted
Nomad

Just an update for those wanting to know wether their videos have GPS data or not. The GoPro Telemetry Extractor now creates graphs instantly for you to visualise the location, speeds... and other sensor data: https://tailorandwayne.com/gopro-telemetry-extractor/

GX010035_1_GPS5_Alt.2D speed3D speed.png

GX010164_1_GPS5_2D speed3D speed (2).png

Highlighted
Tourist

GoPro support - how about providing some transparency and feedback? Is this problem scheduled to be fixed or not? Are you working on it? Researching it?