Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
GoPro Apps for Desktop
Highlighted
Tourist

Re: Quik can�t load the gps data from Hero 7

What indication is there that this is actually being worked on? I suspect it is not given how many, many months it's been since this problem was reported. I, too, think GoPro has given up and is winding down operations in anticipation of bankruptcy. No progress whatsoever on Quik desktop so no GPS functionality. No progress on the Hero 7 Black firmware problems.

And now DJI is coming out with an action cam in a few days. DJI wiped out GoPro's drone offering and now it looks like they're poised to wipe out GoPro's action cam offerings. What does that leave for GoPro?

Tourist

Did some initial testing with my new Hero 7 Black last night and was surprised to see that the desktop app (macos) said there was no GPS data. Checked it out on the phone app, and it worked OK.

I just found this thread and I'm surprised to see that this appears to be a several months old problem with no solution.

So is there anything we can do to speed up the resolution of this issue?

Tourist

@cooljump62602 doesn't seem like it. Although I love GoPro, they fell short with so many aspects of the Hero 7 Black. Terrible battery life, glitchy and random OS freezes, poor functionality in cold weather, no GPS data with macOS, and the list goes on.

I really held out hope that customer support would address this issue and re-install my hope in the brand for future cameras to come, but we can see that it didn't happen.

I thought GoPro's mission was to build products that offered state-of-the-art technology paired with rugged architecture to enable the capture of previously unseen video in the craziest of places: snow, underwater, skydiving, you name it. But instead, I feel like they rushed the Hero 7 by cramming it with a brand-new, yet untested user-interface jammed packed with features that were not yet 100% functional (like the GPS data)

I will forever love my Hero 4 Silver, and will always choose that camera as a primary camera in situations where dependability matters more than quality. Dependable is not AT ALL a word that describes the Hero 7. I find it constantly freezing both on standby and while filming. 

I'm usually not a complainer about any product I get, whether that be on Amazon or wherever else, but for $400, you'd expect both better quality and better customer support... It's nearly been a year since I first saw this issue for the first time. So, the fact that we are still here discussing this is quite unacceptable. I'm starting to believe the most recent posts: DJI is probably going to be the brand that kills GoPro, especially with their success in the drone market. 

Even with all this said, I still have a flicker of hope left that GoPro is secretly spending their time and energy working on a redemption product that might win me over as a customer again. But for now, I'll be waiting for the long-awaited software patches to fix these kernel panics or whatever you wanna call them.

- Alex 

Tourist

GoPro revolutionized the action cam industry.... no doubt about it.

However, they have not been able to keep up with all the competition.

My opinion: GoPro is already dead!!

Their legacy is gonna be the mounting standard they introduced and all other companies followed.

I'm really not expecting them to fix this GPS issue anymore.

RIP GoPro!

Sightseer

Bonjour,

je rencontre exactement le meme problème avec la version quik pour windows

domage que le problème ne soit pas reglé dépuis janvier...

GoPro

Hello @philippes841. Sorry for the inconvenience. This issue has already been forwarded to the team in charge. We are still waiting for an update. We will definitely post about it once we get new information. Thanks!

Tourist

So here we are nearly half way through the year and all anyone from GoPro can say is 'sorry for the inconvenience'

Perhaps sacking or not paying the team in charge might help - because whatever it is that they are doing, it's not much!

This issue has been going on since last year. NOT GOOD ENOUGH GOPRO.

Sightseer

Unfortunately, GOPRO seems to be in survival mode. The Hero 7 black will be my last purchase as their is no excuse for this bug to have gone on for so long without resolution. The microphone adapter is out of stock everywhere and customer support can't provide an update on when, or if, it will be available again. Another company brought down by absent management that will blame the market instead of their own neglect.