Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
GoPro Apps for Desktop
Highlighted
Tourist

Re: Quik can�t load the gps data from Hero 7

What's the official status of this?

Just got a Hero 7 Black, updated the firmware and recorded a test video with GPS ON.

MacOS 10.13.6

Quik 2.7.0.874

Same problem as everyone: No Gps Data!

Come on GoPro!!!

Highlighted
Tourist

One might think that Mr Woodman would be paying a little more attention to the common gripes out there (GPS data... external mic dongle...) considering where the share price is bumbling along and has been for quite a while now. 

The game he's in is all about inovation, customer satifaction (= referals, repeat purchases etc, etc) and listening! If you don't listen Mr Woodman, you'll be in big trouble. You have a great product in the new Hero 7, so go make sure that all aspects of it work as they should do and go give everyone more great things/devises to be excited about. The Hero 7 Black was one of those... 'I just gotta have one' moments. But, two things are really taking the shine off what is otherwise a fantastic product.

Highlighted
Tourist

It is looking more like the camera itself may be defective. If you look on Youtube or Facebook, there are plenty of videos of Hero 7 cameras utilizing the GPS without issue. You will need to open a ticket by calling them and possibly have the camera swapped. It is pretty sad this can't be fixed with a software update.

Highlighted
GoPro

Hello Everyone, 

We appreciate you sharing your observations and providing feedback regarding the application. There has been a previous report regarding Quik for desktop not detecting GPS data from HERO7 Black camera. This does not mean though that the camera fails to capture GPS data but more of Quik not detecting it. If you would test on your mobile phones, as others have, you will be able to display GPS information through GPS performance stickers

This issue has been reported to the team and they working on it. We have not received any update yet so there is no new information that we can share at this time. If the particular issue that you are experiencing though is different, let us know so we can further assist. Alternatively, you may contact our Support team through https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs should you need immediate assistance. 

Many thanks, 
Marius

Highlighted
Tourist

@mariustanya 

Yeah, it's not a camera problem, because everyone can see the data on the mobile app, but it's just a pain to do this on mobile with really big high quality videos... it takes forever.

But someone pointed out on a previous post that even on the mobile app sometimes the GPS data is inaccurate (its not in sync with the footage) and this is also true. Seems like the GPS data collected by the camera is not reliable. Do you have any thoughts on this?

It's a bummer but I think the only solution is to turn off the GPS from the camera and use a 3rd party app to track the gps data, then use another software (RaceRender or Dashware for Windows) to overlay the data on the video.

Highlighted
Tourist

Hi Mariustanya,

Thanks for your response, but unfortunately it seems GoPro is not taking the issue seriously. First these are not observances, they are complaints about a core feature that is not working. The camera does not accurately capture GPS data, and will show is as out of sync with the rest of the video. This issue can be reproduced easily, it is impossible to get a video with GPS to be in sync. This happens regardless if you are using the Mobile or PC versions of the apps. The fact that the apps tell you no GPS data has been recorded is a symptom of the camera incorrectly recording GPS data. I have tested with my mobile phone multiple times and as others have described it is litterally impossible to get a video in sync with the GPS. On top of this there are sickers that other users have are missing from both verisions of the app.

I can see this issue was reported at least 3 months ago, and has not been addressed. This seems to be a bug that they are unable to resolve, and since this was advertised as a main feature there should be no issue getting a refund. There is a Sony camera I would have bought instead had I known the GPS feature wouldn't work.

These cameras arn't cheap.

Capture.PNG
Highlighted
GoPro

Hello @nicedawn50848 and @stoutpike374

Yes, the inconsistency on GPS data even with the mobile app has also been noted and reported to the team. Apologies for the trouble and the inconvenience. We have checked back with the team in charge but we still do not have an update. Rest assured that the details that you have provided are passed on to the team for a closer look. Typically, a fix would be released as an update so you may watch out for such through this link. But we have this thread marked so we will definitely post about it here. 

Highlighted
Sightseer

Ill add to this thread also.... experiencing the same problem, both on the desktop, and phone app from what I can tell. 

Please get this update out!? It's not good enough to have such an expensive toy with these sorts of problems