Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
GoPro Apps for Desktop
Sightseer

Quik can�t load the gps data from Hero 7

[ New ]

the gps on my Hero 7 is "on", but when i load video in quik, it show "No GPS data"

GoPro

Re: Quik can�t load the gps data from Hero 7

[ New ]

Hi @cooldusk27057

To isolate the issue, kindly test if the GPS information is available when using the GoPro app for mobile.

Let us know how it goes.

Thanks!

Ej

Tourist

[ New ]

I have the same exact issue. GPS is on. The gauges are showing perfectly on iPhone 8. Uploaded everything to Quik on Mac, it says no GPS data for every video.

As suggested, I updated to the latest version of Quik, which downloaded Version 2.7.0.874. Still nothing.

I tried reinstalling again, rebooting, and nothing. Suggestions?

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @alexswimsfast,

Those files, are they straight from camera?

Please try to import them using SD card instead.

Regards,

-Jay 

Tourist

[ New ]

Yep, straight from the SD. Tried internal port and card reader just now.

Using a MacBook Air (2014), 1.7 GHz Intel Core i7.

All footage was shot in 2.7K at 60 FPS. I never have trouble making edits on my mac, but this is my first try using the gauges.

GoPro

[ New ]

Thank you for the details you provided, @alexswimsfast and @cooldusk27057 .  We have reported this matter to the tea. We will keep you posted once we receive new information. 

Sightseer

[ New ]

Ok, thanks

Tourist

[ New ]

I used the (lame & slow) workaround by adding the gauges on the mobile GoPro app, creating clips, and exporting to my Mac via Airdrop. Although this worked without issues, It's pretty disappointing that Quik for Desktop/Mac doesn't recognize or display GPS data at all considering the app is running the latest version. It definitely kills the workflow.  

If I were to guess, Quik probably doesn't offer those range of features for Hero 7 Black yet, or it just has bugs which need to be addressed. It becomes an even worse problem when you have the setting to "erase content from the SD card once files are imported," therefore losing all capability to add gauges on the iPhone app AND the desktop/mac app at the same time. I would think that issues such as these would have been resolved by now considering the HERO 7 has been out since early October. 

On the other hand, a new update has just been pushed via the iPhone GoPro app for the HERO 7, which cites "general bug fixes." If this update resolves the issue, I will post an update

GoPro

[ New ]

Appreciate the feedback, @alexswimsfast. This has been reported to the team in charge and we are waiting for updates as well. There is an option in Quik for desktop to not automatically delete your files even after import. You can access this when your camera is connected to your computer (or when the SD card is inserted) and yo go to Settings and un-check the box corresponding to auto files deletion after import. We look forward to hearing back from you. We will keep this thread updated as well once we have new information from the team. Best regards!

Tourist

[ New ]

@mariustanya, Thanks for the reply. I already was aware of this, I just have the setting on so I can easily plug SD cards back into cameras and continue recording with full space available for further footage after import. I was just saying it's frustrating that I expected the gauge function to work following the import. Now, the files are only on my Mac, which doesn't show any GPS data. Because the videos are no longer on the SD card, I cannot access the GPS data on the iPhone app anymore, meaning there seems to be no way at the moment to edit the video with gauges.

It might be a possibility to manually add the videos back to the SD card, put it in the Hero 7, power the Hero 7 on, connect to my iPhone, and see if the GPS data still shows on the app, but dang... That's a hassle. 

Crossing my fingers for updates soon! Thanks

Tourist

[ New ]

I am having the same issue, I bought a Hero 7 Black and get "No GPS Data" for every video I make. I am able to use the guages on the mobile app but there is no option to save. This is a big reason the camera was purchased, what is the status of this issue?

GoPro

[ New ]

Hello @stoutpike374. We still do not have an update regarding Quik for desktop not loading GPS data. Which device and which OS is your device running on? Try uninstalling, then re-installing the app on your mobile device then try using the GPS stickers again. Let us know how it works out. 

Tourist

[ New ]

Hello

Thank you for the quick reply. I am running Windows 10 and using an Android mobile device. From a few days testing the device there seems to be 2 big issues.

1. There is no way to use the Desktop Quik app to use the GPS stickers, it can only be done using the Mobile app which takes hours.I have not yet recorded a video that Quick didn't tell me "No GPS Data" when I could view it on mobile.

2. The GPS telemetry that is recorded is not in sync with the video. The GPS on the sticker will be about 15-25 seconds AHEAD of the video. The speeds are accurate but it is not in sync with the video. Using another application like Dashware will not work because the GPS was recorded onto the video out of sync. There doesn't seem to be any tools available to view the raw GPS data or adjust the out of sync telemetry data. - This happens regardless of the read / write speed of the SD card.

Please let me know if you need any further information to help fix this issue, or if you need any sample video files.

GoPro

[ New ]

Appreciate the detailed response, @stoutpike374. Our team is working on the Quik for desktop app. AS for mobile, we just tested some sample clips and we were able to observe correct GPS and save the GPS stickers as well. Were your videos already imported to the phone when you added the GPS stickers? Try transferring the files to your device first and check again. We are still submitting your feedback to the team in charge for a closer look. We'd love to hear back from you. Thanks!

Tourist

[ New ]

Just wanted to point out that I'm having the exact same problem as well.

Quik desktop (MacOS Mojave, Quik version 2.7.0.874) ALWAYS claims "No GPS data." This is despite GPS being on and GPS lock indicated on the Hero 7 Black (firmware 1.7.0) during recording. The desktop app really is a must since the iOS app is super slow transferring these huge video files versus popping the microSD card into a card reader on the Mac. Happy to provide example files if the software guys need it.

It amazes me that GoPro released this camera many months ago and yet no one at GoPro bothered to test the basic functionality of the guages feature on the desktop app. You guys have got to admit, that's pretty weak software quality control.

Tourist

[ New ]

Hello Mariustanya,

Thanks for the repy, I am really not sure what to do at this point. I took my Hero 7 Black skiing again tonight, and once again every video that was recorded has the GPS speeds AHEAD of the video.
I tried downloading the clip with my phone from the camera and then tried to edit using Quik, and every video I get the message "Something went wrong whole making your video... Sorry!"

The only way I can view the GPS is if I use the GoPro mobile app to add the stickers, but every one of them is out of sync with the video.

This is incredibly frustrating, as the process of saving clips on your phone takes hours. The GPS speeds are accurate, they are just 10-30 seconds ahead of the video. I am not sure if the camera is deffective, it is brand new and has the latest firmware update.

Is there anything else I can try to get these speeds in sync with the video?

Sightseer

[ New ]

FYI - I am having the same issue (Quik not recognizing GPS). I recently received a new go pro hero 7 black after some issues with the first one I purchased (btw, the desktop computer did not have an issue with GPS on it), and I receive the same message regarding no gps data.  I thought maybe I had not turned it on, but I confirmed it is (and was) on. I am using Windows 10. I honestly did not try the gauges on the app first before downloading the files to the computer (which they've now been deleted off the card).  I am curious as to the update/fix.

GoPro

[ New ]

Thank you for the details that you shared, @brendad82@stoutpike374 , and @sunnyhero21776 . We have not heard back from the team regarding an update or a fix. We will keep this thread posted once we have new information. 

Tourist

[ New ]

Hi, I will add myself to the thread.

GoPro Hero 7 Black is brand new (two days old) and firmware updated.

Mobile is Android 8 with GoPro app version 5.1.1

PC is Windows 10 with GoPro Quik 2.7.0.945  (just updated from an older version)

on the mobile app, I can add the stickers/gauges
on the windows PC, it says "No GPS Data"

hope that this helps.  I am very much looking forward to an update since editing on my phone is not a real option for me!

Have a great day, Ron

Tourist

[ New ]
PS... I am willing to help troubleshoot, grab logs, etc.... Just let me know if you want anything.
GoPro

[ New ]

This is noted, @rokinron. Thank you for the details you shared. We have added them to the report we submitted to the team. 

Sightseer

[ New ]

Hello, I thought that I should jump in and mention that I'm having the same problem with my Hero5 Black. When I use the mobile app for iPhone 7 the GPS data works perfectly. I then imported the videos to quik for desktop (windows 10) using the automatic import and delete feature. After importing the GPS data was not available on my desktop app.

Tourist

[ New ]

Hero 7 Black... all up to date with latest firmware/software

iphone 8 plus... all up to date with latest firmware/software

GoPro app... all up to date with latest firmware/software

Mac Mojave (10.14.3)

GoPro Quik (2.7.0.874)

GPS data works fine on the phone using the app, but not on my Mac

On the Mac, I keep getting a message... 'Gauges are only available for videos captured with the Karma drone, or Hero 5 and newer cameras with GPS turned on'

Not really good enough GoPro. This is as bad as having to buy an expensive bulky dongle to use eternal mic! Smiley Sad

Tourist

[ New ]

Yep. I was one of the original posters on this thread. This absolutely blows, especially for high-end editors. I feel like with the resources GoPro has, they should've been able to figure out this crap by now. If they don't have the staff on hand to figure it out, outsource the stupid issue to a software company that's more competent. As a consumer, it's frustrating that GoPro advertises it's capability but has failed to deliver on that feature for months now. This is now a widespread bug among Hero 7 users, this should be at the top of their priority list. 

Tourist

[ New ]

What's the official status of this?

Just got a Hero 7 Black, updated the firmware and recorded a test video with GPS ON.

MacOS 10.13.6

Quik 2.7.0.874

Same problem as everyone: No Gps Data!

Come on GoPro!!!

Tourist

[ New ]

One might think that Mr Woodman would be paying a little more attention to the common gripes out there (GPS data... external mic dongle...) considering where the share price is bumbling along and has been for quite a while now. 

The game he's in is all about inovation, customer satifaction (= referals, repeat purchases etc, etc) and listening! If you don't listen Mr Woodman, you'll be in big trouble. You have a great product in the new Hero 7, so go make sure that all aspects of it work as they should do and go give everyone more great things/devises to be excited about. The Hero 7 Black was one of those... 'I just gotta have one' moments. But, two things are really taking the shine off what is otherwise a fantastic product.

Tourist

[ New ]

It is looking more like the camera itself may be defective. If you look on Youtube or Facebook, there are plenty of videos of Hero 7 cameras utilizing the GPS without issue. You will need to open a ticket by calling them and possibly have the camera swapped. It is pretty sad this can't be fixed with a software update.

GoPro

[ New ]

Hello Everyone, 

We appreciate you sharing your observations and providing feedback regarding the application. There has been a previous report regarding Quik for desktop not detecting GPS data from HERO7 Black camera. This does not mean though that the camera fails to capture GPS data but more of Quik not detecting it. If you would test on your mobile phones, as others have, you will be able to display GPS information through GPS performance stickers

This issue has been reported to the team and they working on it. We have not received any update yet so there is no new information that we can share at this time. If the particular issue that you are experiencing though is different, let us know so we can further assist. Alternatively, you may contact our Support team through https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs should you need immediate assistance. 

Many thanks, 
Marius

Tourist

[ New ]

@mariustanya 

Yeah, it's not a camera problem, because everyone can see the data on the mobile app, but it's just a pain to do this on mobile with really big high quality videos... it takes forever.

But someone pointed out on a previous post that even on the mobile app sometimes the GPS data is inaccurate (its not in sync with the footage) and this is also true. Seems like the GPS data collected by the camera is not reliable. Do you have any thoughts on this?

It's a bummer but I think the only solution is to turn off the GPS from the camera and use a 3rd party app to track the gps data, then use another software (RaceRender or Dashware for Windows) to overlay the data on the video.

Tourist

[ New ]

Hi Mariustanya,

Thanks for your response, but unfortunately it seems GoPro is not taking the issue seriously. First these are not observances, they are complaints about a core feature that is not working. The camera does not accurately capture GPS data, and will show is as out of sync with the rest of the video. This issue can be reproduced easily, it is impossible to get a video with GPS to be in sync. This happens regardless if you are using the Mobile or PC versions of the apps. The fact that the apps tell you no GPS data has been recorded is a symptom of the camera incorrectly recording GPS data. I have tested with my mobile phone multiple times and as others have described it is litterally impossible to get a video in sync with the GPS. On top of this there are sickers that other users have are missing from both verisions of the app.

I can see this issue was reported at least 3 months ago, and has not been addressed. This seems to be a bug that they are unable to resolve, and since this was advertised as a main feature there should be no issue getting a refund. There is a Sony camera I would have bought instead had I known the GPS feature wouldn't work.

These cameras arn't cheap.

Capture.PNG
GoPro

[ New ]

Hello @nicedawn50848 and @stoutpike374

Yes, the inconsistency on GPS data even with the mobile app has also been noted and reported to the team. Apologies for the trouble and the inconvenience. We have checked back with the team in charge but we still do not have an update. Rest assured that the details that you have provided are passed on to the team for a closer look. Typically, a fix would be released as an update so you may watch out for such through this link. But we have this thread marked so we will definitely post about it here. 

Sightseer

[ New ]

Ill add to this thread also.... experiencing the same problem, both on the desktop, and phone app from what I can tell. 

Please get this update out!? It's not good enough to have such an expensive toy with these sorts of problems

Tourist

[ New ]

Also having this problem.  I have one small twist.  I moved the files from the camera to the computer when I downloaded them, so they were deleted from the camera.  When I realized that things weren't working right, I copied one of the downloaded videos back to the camera to try the mobile app.  I found that the GPS stickers still worked using the mobile app even after the video had been deleted from the camera and copied back to the camera.  I'm not sure if this means anything or not.

I have also tried using Dashware to download and put stickers on the video.  Dashware does not recognize any GPS data and all gauges just  stay at zero.

Tourist

[ New ]

Also tried Garmin's Virb program.  It says no GPS data available.  This is using the file that I copied to the computer and then back to the camera.  It seems that the GPS data is not making it from the camera to the computer using the desktop, but the mobile is able to access it for some reason.

Tourist

[ New ]

More research done.  I was able to get telemetry to work using Dashware.  I had to copy a Hero7BlackGPMF.xml file to the "C:\Program Files\DashWare\DataTool\DataProfiles" folder.  All the info I found on Google told me to copy it from the "C:\Program Files\GoPro\GoPro Desktop App\telemetrydata\DataProfiles" folder.  The problem is that the DataProfiles folder in the GoPro installation is empty.  Tried uninstalling and reinstalling the Quik software and it did not change anything.  The folder is still empty.  Also, copying the downloaded Hero7BlackGPMF.xml file to "C:\Program Files\GoPro\GoPro Desktop App\telemetrydata\DataProfiles" did not solve the problem in Quik.  I ended up downloading the xml file from another post in this forum.

Tourist

[ New ]

I have the same problem, wel gauges on my ipad but not on my quick desktop imac.. grrrr.

I am from the netherlands. Please come with a update gopro!!

Tourist

[ New ]

I have the same issue! How come this has not been resolved yet?

Also just a thought....

What happens if you add gauges to the video on the iPhone and then import the viedos into Mac? Would that work?

Tourist

[ New ]

The problem is over.

I have the desktop app again reloaded and installed with the new update (gopro site app for desktop) and it works again.

I can see all my gauges on it.

Sorry for my englisch.

Tourist

[ New ]

I still have a problem. I'm on a Mac. And I imported the video before upgrading the Desktop App.

Is that the issue?

Tourist

[ New ]

No, the program hasn't been updated.  I still have the same problem.  

Sightseer

[ New ]

As of 4/13/19, this is still an issue. I have, very rarely, had some videos work on desktop, but most do not. This needs to be figured out. There might as well not be a GPS feature if it won't work reliably, and the only reason I upgraded cameras was for the GPS feature. Had I kept my hero 4 at least I wouldn't be dealing with GoPro's huge mic adapter.

Sightseer

[ New ]

Hi there,

Just wanted to share that I am exactly in the same situation, GoPro Hero 7 Black, GPS data available on Quik for mobile but not in Quik Desktop (W10). None of the previous solutions mentioned worked.

Also had problems with Quik desktop starting on my Windows 10. I had to create another amdin user to get it solved.

That's a pain, honestly.

Sightseer

[ New ]

I'd just like to add, for a world class camera, your support and updates are entry level at best. 

This GPS logging / loading issue should be a priority and the community deserves some feedback to what is causing this issue.

I bought this camera with the intention of using the GPS feature often and am immensly dissapointed with this support hub / the technical glitch.

Hope to have an update from Go Pro soon.

Tourist

[ New ]

Hi, exactly same problem with my new Hero 7 black. That's ashamed ! Please Gopro do something quick, we paid expansive price for this !

Bonjour, exactement le même problème avec ma nouvelle Hero 7 Black. C'est honteux ! SVP Gopro faites rapidement quelque chose, nous avons payé cher pour cela !

Tourist

[ New ]

I'm very disappointed and frustrated with the lack of GPS. I bought HERO7 specifically for the GPS that I can use in my airplane and now I cannot.  I'm considering returning and purchasing Garmin Virb Ultra 30, which I hear has excellent and WORKING GPS.

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @sweetstar26343,

Sorry to hear about the trouble and any inconvenience caused. Rest assured, we'll keep everyone posted with any information we get as soon as available. In the meantime, you may use Quik for Mobile or should you need to use a desktop app, many users suggest Racerender or Dashware.

Kind Regards,

Ann

Tourist

[ New ]

Ann,

I understand that GoPro is working on the issue, however, this has been going on for months and we are yet to see a fix.  I am a dev lead who is very familiar with prod-dev lifecycle and as such would never have missed nor allow a release to continue with a broken major functionality.

This is unacceptable, period.

P.S The size of video files produced is way too large. I understand that this is because of the high bitrate. If I may suggest, I’d add an option to use a lower rate in order to reduce the file size.

Thank you.

Tourist

[ New ]

@aenriquez .. "oh.... we dont have the fix but use this another editor..." I mean... REALLY?!?!

This issue has been there for MONTHS AND MONTHS.... this is completely UNACCEPTABLE for a company like GoPro and for a product with that price range!! It's just RIDICULOUS!!

No wonder why GoPro stocks are worth NOTHING and the company is dying!!!!!

Tourist

[ New ]

What indication is there that this is actually being worked on? I suspect it is not given how many, many months it's been since this problem was reported. I, too, think GoPro has given up and is winding down operations in anticipation of bankruptcy. No progress whatsoever on Quik desktop so no GPS functionality. No progress on the Hero 7 Black firmware problems.

And now DJI is coming out with an action cam in a few days. DJI wiped out GoPro's drone offering and now it looks like they're poised to wipe out GoPro's action cam offerings. What does that leave for GoPro?

Tourist

[ New ]

Did some initial testing with my new Hero 7 Black last night and was surprised to see that the desktop app (macos) said there was no GPS data. Checked it out on the phone app, and it worked OK.

I just found this thread and I'm surprised to see that this appears to be a several months old problem with no solution.

So is there anything we can do to speed up the resolution of this issue?