Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
GoPro Apps for Desktop
Highlighted
Tourist

Quik can't find LiveBurst files

I created a few LiveBurst files with my Hero8 Black, some triggered with voice, some with the shutter button. Quik (Windows Desktop version 2.7.0.945) imported the files and deleted them from the camera with no problem, but they do not appear anywhere in Quik. They do appear in the Windows Explorer folder that I specified. They are .mp4 files like regular videos, but the codec must be slightly different because I have to use a third-party app to preview them (I get audio but no video from Windows Media Player). Other .mp4s (e.g., regular video, time lapse) do not have this issue.

My question is: why does Quik not recognize LiveBurst clips shot with a GoPro camera?

Highlighted
GoPro

Re: Quik can't find LiveBurst files

@michaelp2171, thanks for reaching out. The LiveBurst captures a burst of photos both 1.5 seconds before and 1.5 seconds after the Shutter button is pressed. You can look through the burst to find the perfect shot or share the whole burst as a short video (MP4).

You can still add the LiveBurst media file to Quik for Desktop app. Try manually adding the file through a Media Folder in the app - How to Add Media Folders in Quik for desktop.

Highlighted
Tourist

Hi, I'm having the same issue. Quik (also Windows Desktop version 2.7.0.945) imported the LiveBurst files to my GoPro folder and deleted them from the Hero8 Black but the files will not appear in Quik. They are in the proper Windows folder and I can open them as an .mp4 and they play fine. I've tried to manually add these using the directions in the link provided. I also copied the files to a different file and tried to add that folder - neither worked.

I used LiveBurst to be able to select which frame I wanted as well as possibly edit within Quik. Why is Quik not recognizing these LiveBurst shots?

Highlighted
GoPro

@ashbigs, that's strange. I was able to successfully import the LiveBurst footage to Quik for Desktop, and it played back the video fine. Did you get any error message or prompt when adding the file manually? After adding the Media Folder, did you let the app scan the folder for the videos?

Highlighted
Tourist

Update: Since my original post, I've been experimenting with various third-party apps, including Windows Media Player (WMP) and other Microsoft apps. The LiveBurst files use the HVEC (H.265) codec, as opposed to the "normal" MPEG-4 (H.264) codec, even though both files end with the .mp4 extension. The upshot is that WMP (and I'm guessing Quik) can't play LiveBurst without that codec (more specifically, they can play the audio, but there's no video). For some odd reason, the H.265 codec is not included in Windows 10, but you can purchase it separately for $0.99 in the Microsoft Store. I did so, and now all my Microsoft apps can play LiveBurst files, AND they appear in Quik. However, I cannot play them in Quik -- the app just hangs when I try. All other formats work fine.

It would be nice if future versions of Quik included all the codecs needed to display the files produced by the cameras that Quik is supposed to support. I would also appreciate a function to extract GPS data from the files that contain it so I don't have to rely on third-party apps for that, too, but that's a separate topic.

Highlighted
Tourist

Thank you for your reply. I downloaded the HVEC $.99 codec from the Microsoft App Store and Quik immediately imported the LiveBurst files. However, I cannot play them in Quik - same issue, the application stops responding.

Highlighted
Tourist

Thanks for your reply. There was no error message, however, I did need to get the HVEC codec mentioned in the other comment. I can now see the LiveBurst files in Quik but cannot edit/open because the app does not respond.