Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
GoPro Apps for Desktop
Highlighted
Tourist

Re: Quik Not Responding

Same issue here.  I have an i7 4790 desktop processor (haswell gen 4 cpu circa end of 2014, still very capable) and a radeon rx 580 video card ( 22mo old).  Removing the card and using integrated graphics 'works' but 4k hevc video from gopro 7 plays back terribly.   From what i'm reading about hevc (h.265), the instruction set is not available in older cpu architecture. Thus the need of a real graphics card that can handle h.265.   All the hevc content I have recorded plays great on the computer in other applications with the radeon card.  

When trying to use good graphics card and gopro's apps, they quit... not responding.  opened a case with gopro.  after spending about an hour talking with support, they now say they will get back to me in 2-3 days..... 

wondering if it's possible for a software hotfix or if I need to get a new computer/iipad,  or different camera and software.

Highlighted
GoPro

Hi @seanm52

HEVC files are not fully compatible with Quik for Desktop.

You can try other applications for play back/ editing. Programs to View and Edit Videos

For reference, you may also check HEVC Explained

Thanks!

Ej

Highlighted
Tourist

@aragon1006 Interesting. The 2 support folks I talked to so far did not mention that and blamed it on my video card.
What does ‘not fully compatible’ mean? Some hevc video does work? What does work and what doesn’t work?
As far as I know, no other programs can grab the gauge data out of the GoPro video files, which is the main reason I want to use Quik.
Highlighted
GoPro

Hello @seanm52

As listed on the link shared, Quik for desktop will still copy HEVC files to your computer, but those files may struggle to play back.

To overlay telemetry, other users suggest RaceRender or Dashware.

I hope this helps.

Thanks!

Ej

Highlighted
Tourist

I will check those out. Thanks. I’m curious, Why is GoPro having trouble supporting normal PC hardware? Is there just too much hardware to support?
Highlighted
Tourist

So when I remove my Radeon card and use the cpu graphics the software works fine with hevc except playback is slow. I could not find anything about choppy playback on the link you sent by the way. Playback is also slow in other apps which to me means the cpu cannot keep up with hevc playback or decode. Makes sense. It is a 4 year old processor. But using a nice video card for playback is where it breaks. Does GoPro not support amd graphics? If that is the case that is fine. Just please offer a list of nvidia hardware that is supported.
Highlighted
Tourist

It seems my case has also been closed with tech support and I have been recommended a nvidia gtx 1080. $750 card. Ouch. Does GoPro have a range of recommendations? Playback works fine on iPhone 8. I’m pretty sure a $750 graphics card is not really needed.
Highlighted
Tourist

Hi, I am trying this and is still does not respond. I can't even access the files from my gph7 black.

@mowens  ha escrito:

Hey all,

For those with two graphics cards in their computer, try the following rather than fully disabling your NVIDIA card:

• Right-click the Quik|Desktop desktop icon
  • Hover your mouse over "Run with Graphics Processor"
  • Select the "Integrated" option. This is your Intel Graphics card.

Quik will launch from this point, and Create mode should work just fine. Let me know if this helps.

~ Mowens