Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
GoPro Apps for Desktop
Tourist

Quick....stuck on "Authenticating"

[ New ]

Accepted Solutions
GoPro

Re: Quick....stuck on "Authenticating"

[ New ]

Hello @rapidhero34434

Are you already using the latest version of the Quik for desktop App. Are you are able to successfully login to the GoPro App, and https://gopro.com/login ? If yes, try the following steps: 

1 Open Quik for desktop

2 While on the login screen, select the “Help” tab above the Quik for desktop window
3 Select “Restart with default settings”
4 A modal will appear saying “Are you sure?“. Click “Restart” once more.
5 Quik for desktop will close and reopen. Quik for desktop will appear as if you installed it for the first time.
6 Go to the login screen and input your credentials. You should then be able to login successfully.

Let us know how it goes. 

Thanks, 
Marius

View solution in original post

GoPro

[ New ]

Sorry to hear about that, @rapidhero34434 . The next path forward is to try the instructions below:

On the Mac, go to the following steps:
Click GO in finder and GO TO FOLDER
Then you will type /private/etc/hosts then press Go
Copy the host file on your Desktop. 
Click open the "host" file and put in 127.0.0.1 localhost at the location specified with local host. Save the File, then put it BACK the same folder it will ask you to replace it this should work.
​​Relaunch Quik for Desktop. 

Let us know if this resolves the issue. 

Thanks, 
Marius

View solution in original post

All Replies
GoPro

[ New ]

Hello @rapidhero34434

Are you already using the latest version of the Quik for desktop App. Are you are able to successfully login to the GoPro App, and https://gopro.com/login ? If yes, try the following steps: 

1 Open Quik for desktop

2 While on the login screen, select the “Help” tab above the Quik for desktop window
3 Select “Restart with default settings”
4 A modal will appear saying “Are you sure?“. Click “Restart” once more.
5 Quik for desktop will close and reopen. Quik for desktop will appear as if you installed it for the first time.
6 Go to the login screen and input your credentials. You should then be able to login successfully.

Let us know how it goes. 

Thanks, 
Marius

Tourist

[ New ]

Hi, Yes I can login to my GoPro account and no it didnt work. I have checked that my Macbook Pro is up to date, I have deleted and reloaded the app and it still says Authenticating. Slowly losing interest in having a GoPro, may just return and get a Garmin camera.

Kind regards

Tourist

[ New ]

i have the same issue. very frustrating when you just bought a gopro

lost already one and a half hour on it 

GoPro

[ New ]

Sorry to hear about that, @rapidhero34434 . The next path forward is to try the instructions below:

On the Mac, go to the following steps:
Then you will type /private/etc/hosts then press Go
Click open the "host" file and put in 127.0.0.1 localhost at the location specified with local host. Save the File, then put it BACK the same folder it will ask you to replace it this should work.
​​Relaunch Quik for Desktop. 

Let us know if this resolves the issue. 

Thanks, 
Marius

GoPro

[ New ]

Hello @nilsb52412

Have you been able to try already the recommended steps on this thread? Let us know how it is, this way we will be able to help best. 

Thanks, 
Mariuis

Tourist

[ New ]

Hi 

i treid to copy the file but it does not allow me to do that.

drag and drop also does not work

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @nilsb52412

I am not certain why the above steps are not working. It will be best to reach out to our Support Team to troubleshoot the issue further.

You may reach them via phone or chat. https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs

Thanks!

Ej

Anonymous

[ New ]

I am having the same issue with no resolution via GoPro support chat.. did a couple reinstalls, turned off WiFi, tried to change the host.. using new iMac os10. Any help would be appreciated. 

GoPro

[ New ]

Hello @Anonymous, 

Thank you for engaging our Support team. Were you able to successfully change the "host" file on your computer? This should be able to resolve the issue. Also, have you been able to try logging in to Quik for desktop using a different computer? For this case, it would be best to continue working with the team for a more personalized support. You can refer to the same case number that you were provided to continue the troubleshooting steps with Support. You can reach them here: https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs

Best regards, 
Marius

Anonymous

[ New ]
I was not able to change the host. The iMac would not allow the change. Or it would not open the host file. The tech rep did not know how ti Fix it.
GoPro

[ New ]

You may have to seek assistance from Apple on how to allow the change, @Anonymous . Once the change is done, the authenticating issue will be resolved. Thanks!

Anonymous

[ New ]
This seems to be an known issue that Mac users are having with the GoPro software. I am not a coder and nor should go pro be asking their clients to write code as a work around when a software update should be released. I wouldn’t know what to tell apple.
GoPro

[ New ]
Sightseer

[ New ]

Same Issue, what a **bleep** app, and this guys are clueless

Sightseer

[ New ]

I am having this same problem, been wasting a lot of time trying all of these "solutions" with no results. 

I am tired of GoPro's completely faulty software. I need a solution or a refund.

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @tomo25688,

Have you tried contacting our customer support team?

They might be able to assist. 

https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs

Regards,

-Jay 

Tourist

[ New ]

Hello all!

I am a Mac Pro user.

So, I had the same issue, I contacted your technical support and did all the troubleshootings as well, GoPro could not help me at all.   Except asking me to add the 127.x.x.x to the host file!

Now, the only thing that no one tells you is that, when you are adding the 127.0.0.1 Localhost, make sure it is on top of the page or the first line in the host file.

If you add it anywhere else, this "SMART GoPro Quik" program will ignore it.  Again, add it to the top, make sure it is the FIRST line!  That should fix the problem, at least it did it for me.

I hope this help! It took me sometimes to figure this out by doing so much troubleshooting by myself!!

GoPro

[ New ]

Thank you for sharing, @tperera. Great to know that the issue is resolved on your end. Other members who might be having the same issue will find help through your post. Best regards!

Tourist

[ New ]

Same issue for me gopro, you need to get an offline app, i don't get why we have to log in into an account to import files.

The way i solved my issue was by moving the hosts folder to desktop or something and then opening the app. this worked.

Tourist

[ New ]

can we know the reason why we need to log into an account to import files?

GoPro

[ New ]

Hello @pedrofilip4508

It was basically intended for GoPro Plus access, although at this time, the service is by subscription. The log-ins also allows personalization on your GoPro account such that you will be able to register your camera under it. Good to know that you are able to use the application now. Thank you for sharing what worked for you. Feel free to post back for any other questions or concerns. 

Best regards, 
Marius

Sightseer

[ New ]

no point in going to help/support they just get you to do the same as you all say in the HUB.

Really Dissappointed in GoPro, so many people are having the same problem. no fix yet.

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @reddogpro

If you haven't already, please go over these steps: 

Open Quik for desktop
While on the login screen, select the “Help” tab above the Quik for desktop window
Select “Restart with default settings”
A modal will appear saying “Are you sure?“. Click “Restart” once more.
Quik for desktop will close and reopen. Quik for desktop will appear as if you installed it for the first time.
Go to the login screen and input your credentials. You should then be able to login successfully.

Let us know how it goes.

Thanks!

Ej

Tourist

[ New ]

Like many of you I have tried all the options above without a solution. In fact, Quik works on my 2013 MacBook Pro but not the brand new 2018 MacBook pro I bought this past week. The host files are identical. I cannot edit the videos on the old laptop, thus the upgrade.

I am attempting to contact customer service one more time tomorrow. I have spent nearly $1000 on GoPro products in the past month. They're not functional (as advertised) without the use of the Quik App.

There are numerous users who have purchased these who are unable to edit them without their implicit software being function.

I will keep you updated.

Sightseer

[ New ]

I'm in the same boat. GoPro app is stuck on Authentication. I really do not understand why it expects to sign in to edit local files. I've so many files waiting to get fish eye removed. Let me know if there is other way i can remove fish eye effects from the video instead of using gopro quik app. 

I've restared, reinstalled the app nothing worked. My hosts file has "127.0.0.1 localhost" as well. Let me know what else you think can fix.. 

GoPro

[ New ]

Hello @npmp

The Quik for desktop app does not have a feature for removing fisheye. You might want to explore other programs that can be used to view and edit your GoPro media. Such information is provided here 

Best regards, 
Marius

Hiker

[ New ]

I have a solution for this but for some reason this forum removes my posts as "spam". Direct message me for a simple detailed instruction.

Sightseer

[ New ]

I am using a surface with windows 10, yes i know surfaces are junk, but i did everything listed in here and it worked once but then 15 minutes later, it kicked me out of the app and now i cannot get back into it.  GOPRO needs to step up the game and fix this app.  Anyone have other ideas on how to get the app to work?

Hiker

[ New ]

I have the same problem. Just spend good money on a 7 Black today. But I can't log in either.

I could with my old mac. So we are getting punished for being up to date.

None of the options works (and you can't change the host file out of security reasons (which is good because you shouldn't tamper these files in the first place I can tell you as an ex. Genius Bar employee)

So what to do?...

Sightseer

[ New ]

Thank you. The host change worked beautifully for me.

Hiker

[ New ]
How did you got pass the “host in use” block?

Would love to do this too.
Sightseer

[ New ]
This worked for me!
Sightseer

[ New ]

Well, I copied the file to my desktop but the file is not visible at all. I'm running OS Mojave

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @erickphoto

Make sure to add the folder to Quik for desktop.

Check out:

How to Add Media Folders in Quik for desktop

Let us know how it goes.

Thanks!

Ej

Sightseer

[ New ]

this did not work for me.

some videos do not download from the app to my iPhone, and the site or quik does not work.

no way to access my videos for a while now.

very disappointed with my GoPro. had a lot of issues filming during my ski trip+battry ran out after like 20 min each day.

need help pls

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @agilepeak61382

Are you also getting the "Authenticating" issue?

Have you tried importing files manually/ using an SD adapter? 

How to Import Camera Files to a Computer - Windows 10

If you are using the mobile version of the app, check out these links for reference: 

How to View, Copy, and Delete Media Using the GoPro App

Supported Resolutions for Copy and Share in the GoPro App

Please go over the steps on this article If you are getting short record times.

Thanks!

Ej

Sightseer

[ New ]

i fixed my host file still did not work so i renamed it then quik started working just rename to something like host1 or move the host file to desktop then try to see if quik will login or open

Sightseer

[ New ]

I had bought a new Hero7, but also the Authenticating problem ... then i took the Hero7 bach to the store and was refunded.

Now i bought a cheap action camera (no GoPro) with very nice WORKING software.

GoPro software isn't working very well. 

Sightseer

[ New ]

I want to return this crap camera as well and a refund, it's less than a year old, how can I get my money back GoPro? your software is not working, neither are the workarounds, terrible! It makes using the GoPro a pain in the ass.

How can I get refund if store won't take it back? 

GoPro

[ New ]

Hello @rockyrange13676. Sorry that you are having trouble with the desktop application. If you haven't yet, you may explore other programs that can be used to view and edit your GoPro footage.

You may also check out the mobile applications such as GoPro App and Quik for mobile to access and create a movie out of your GoPro media. There are steps here to guide you.  

The refund could only be issued by the store/seller of the camera. Even if it is a GoPro product, we will not be able to issue a refund if the camera was not bought directly from us. 

Highlighted
Sightseer

[ New ]

same

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @rockybeach20338

If you haven't already, please go over these steps:

If using a Mac:

Then please type  /private/etc/hosts then press Go
Click open the "host" file and put in 127.0.0.1 localhost at the location. Save the File, then put it BACK the same folder it will ask you to replace it, this should work.

If using a Windows computer:

Open Quik for desktop
While on the login screen, select the “Help” tab above the Quik for desktop window
Select “Restart with default settings”
A modal will appear saying “Are you sure?“. Click “Restart” once more.
Quik for desktop will close and reopen. Quik for desktop will appear as if you installed it for the first time.
Go to the login screen and input your credentials. You should then be able to login successfully.

Let us know how it goes.

Thanks!
Ej

Sightseer

[ New ]

Works great for me. I think that many of you have problem with opening /hosts/ file which is being used by mac and can not be opened/modified. In such case, use Terminal app and modify file with the following command

sudo nano /private/etc/hosts

Hope this helps ;)

Sightseer

[ New ]

I can confirm it worked as well!

Just to clarify

1. Open Terminal (can press command+space and type "terminal")

2. Type "sudo nano /private/etc/hosts" in terminal

3. It will open the file and just type "127.0.0.1 localhost" in the first line

4. Press Control+X to leave and then press Y to save and Enter to overwrite the file

On a sidenote - its very annoying and company like GoPro shouldn't have to ask customers to write to system files...

But looking at GoPro's reviews on TrustPilot says it all.

Pick it up GoPro or you are not going to survive the next year... competition is closing in fast.

Tourist

[ New ]

Yeah another macbook pro user here. Those steps accomplish absolutelly nothing.... Can you guys seriously not come up with a solution that works??? 

GoPro

[ New ]

Hello @danield3448. If you have already gone through the troubleshooting steps posted by @aragon1006 and the issue still persists, the next step would be to get in touch with our Support team. This way they can walk you through further steps. You may reach them by phone or chat through https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs . When you do, make sure that you have access to your computer and your camera. Thanks!

Sightseer

[ New ]

Changing the hosts file works. The only thing is you need the root password, or any priviledge account password to change that. You can google the default root password for mac.

Sightseer

[ New ]
Ich habe exakt das gleiche Problem, habe aber nicht die Kompetenz die Systemdateien zu ändern. Gibt es eine neue Version von Quik?
GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @hildem580

We do not have information on the next update for Quik for desktop.

If you are still getting the same errors after the steps shared above, please let our Support Team know.

They are available by phone or chat through https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs

For updates on the apps, you may check Software Update Release Information

Thanks!

Ej