Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
GoPro Apps for Desktop
Sightseer

Quick desktop for Windows

[ New ]

Hi

What is the replacement for Quick desktop for Windows, since it's not being updated anymore?

Br,

Thomas

Accepted Solutions
GoPro

Re: Quick desktop for Windows

[ New ]

Hello, @thomasj45208. There is no replacement for the Quik for desktop for Windows. Although no longer in development, you can still use the program to import, view, and edit your GoPro footage. 

You may also explore other programs that can be used for the same purpose. Moreover, the GoPro App also supports importing, viewing, and editing GoPro media on a compatible mobile device

View solution in original post

All Replies
GoPro

[ New ]

Hello, @thomasj45208. There is no replacement for the Quik for desktop for Windows. Although no longer in development, you can still use the program to import, view, and edit your GoPro footage. 

You may also explore other programs that can be used for the same purpose. Moreover, the GoPro App also supports importing, viewing, and editing GoPro media on a compatible mobile device

Hiker

[ New ]

So should we give up looking for the (rumored? cancelled? who knows?) Quik for Desktop replacement from GoPro?

Somehow, capturing and editing 4K video on my phone vs. 27" screen Windows desktop with 32GB of memory and TB of SSD, etc., just doesn't seem like a very satisfactory answer. Maybe it's just me.

Hiker

[ New ]

Was there any kind of announcement to say that Quik for desktop is no longer being developed? I know it had its problems but to force editing etc on to a phone seems strange. What's to say the footage I record will not be able to transfer to my phone because it is too big to fit on to the phone's storage. Seems a real shame to abandon a desktop companion app.

Hiker

[ New ]

There was sort of an announcement that Quik for Desktop is deprecated: https://community.gopro.com/t5/en/GoPro-legacy-software/ta-p/595533#/start=1. It says GoPro has "moved on" but to what is left unclear. Some other, older, threads suggest that they were working on a replacement. It's nowhere to be found and they don't even seem to be saying that anymore.

Hiker

[ New ]
I had a long ongoing open support ticket regarding Quik, then one day when I provided some feedback, they just turned around and said that it was my computer's fault and that the ticket would be closed. That was at the end of March I think. So I now assume they were just closing tickets.
Hiker

[ New ]

@nimblelift82 wrote:

So should we give up looking for the (rumored? cancelled? who knows?) Quik for Desktop replacement from GoPro?

Somehow, capturing and editing 4K video on my phone vs. 27" screen Windows desktop with 32GB of memory and TB of SSD, etc., just doesn't seem like a very satisfactory answer. Maybe it's just me.

No, it is not just you. I am also not able to do this editing on my phone, The GoPro app is not even able to use the SD-card on your phone. I can not understand the logic behind their policy and nobody is explaning it either,

Hiker

[ New ]

I think Gopro's move is a good one, why will they try to develop a software for PC that already exist and is far better either free or paid. There is a trend on ppl wanting to edit a simple quick video on the go and share it and that's what the mobile app does. I know a lot of ppl want to do a more cinematic and long video editing but Gopro is heading more towards short and fast videos. And once you shared it you can delete the stuff from your phone and still have in the camera or the cloud. But I get it, I would love to have something from Gopro that will work and was easy to use on my PC. I appreciate both worlds.

Hiker

[ New ]
You make a good point and I was thinking the same too.
However, I am disappoint that there is currently no desktop offering from GoPro in active development.
Hiker

[ New ]

I maybe agree a little about there being other better alternatives than GoPro Quik was/is. Where I disagree is a) simplicity. b) integration with GoPro WiFi for capture/import from the camera, and c) telemetry overlay generation. It was the only tool that had all three. No other tool has more than one and none that I know of offers #2. I have Adobe Premier Elements/Element Organizer for editing. It can capture but is more of a science project (since it accomodates a bazillion other scenarios) and cannot do the WiFi thing. It knows nothing of telemetry, near as I can tell. So that's, at best, yet another tool to find/buy/support/live with/integrate into ones workflows. And Adobe Premiere Elements was way late to the party supporting the 4k codec on Windows. I guess if the choice is no GoPro desktop app support or GoPro goes under, well, I guess we are better off on our own for the desktop use cases.

Sightseer

[ New ]

http://www.dashware.net/

Maby some day we can get good app.

"Dashware team is now working for GoPro...

Tourist

[ New ]

GOPRO sucks  I just got one.  Editing on your phone is horrible.  I cant even get quick to upload photos.  Im sending this trash back and getting a spny FDR

Hiker

[ New ]

I've been happy with the Hero 7 Black as an action camera. The phone software is great for everything I use it for--which doesn't include import or editing. Quik is OK; not the most stable thing, but when it's working as expected, it works OK. It's sad to see GoPro abandon the desktop use cases for their tools.

I also have a slew of Sony cameras (DSC-TX7, NEX-7, NEX-5R, RX100 VII, Alpha 6600). Their software is nothing to write home about either. And, while they haven't "moved on" from PlayMemories Home, they might as well have.

Sightseer

[ New ]

Hi, I saw that unfortunately you no longer support QUIK for desktop.
The smartphone is not the most suitable tool for video editing, the screen is too small and the use while holding it is often uncomfortable.
Please think again! Mounting software for Windows desktop is absolutely essential.

Thank you
Cheers

Hiker

[ New ]

@maxc4152 wrote:

Hi, I saw that unfortunately you no longer support QUIK for desktop.
The smartphone is not the most suitable tool for video editing, the screen is too small and the use while holding it is often uncomfortable.
Please think again! Mounting software for Windows desktop is absolutely essential.

Thank you
Cheers

Absolutely correct!

To edit even a 3-minute clip on the mobile is not working. Adding some clips together to produce a small film with transition and just very basic comments is just not possible. Maybe if you have a big tablet. 

A proper Windows Application is really necessary and GOPRO should be able to provide this easily with the amount of money they make from the sale of the hardware.

Cheers