Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
GoPro Apps for Desktop
Sightseer

QUIK just erased some day-old footage by itself off of my computer

I had recorded a motorcycle ride the previous night, and today I recorded another ride in the daytime. When I imported the new daytime footage, I first noticed that the night ride video files in my Sony Vegas project were being replaced, one by one, with the new daytime footage. I thought this was weird and went to find the older nighttime footage to put it back, and the nighttime footage was gone.

Looking in my Quik imports library, I saw the nighttime and daytime footage juxtaposed within the same day, the daytime footage on top and the nighttime footage underneath. I clicked on one of the night-time videos and it played the daytime video directly above it instead. Then, I right-clicked on the nighttime footage and clicked "show in explorer" in order to directly access the file. Quik then told me that it could not be found. So apparently all of my precious, beautiful night-ride footage magically erased itself upon importing the newer daytime footage.

GoPro

Re: QUIK just erased some day-old footage by itself off of my computer

Hello @magaman. It is odd for Quik for desktop to delete (or replace?) files without it being manually done. If the night time footage were already saved in Quik on your desktop, importing any new footage would just save the new footage and allot a new storage space for it. Was your camera directly connected to the computer when the import was done? By any chance, was there another media player running at the same time, one which may have also recognized the files from your GoPro?

Sightseer

[ Edited ]

Hi @mariustanya, I only had the night footage being used in a video project in Sony Vegas Pro 17, and the camera was plugged in via USB. Right after I imported the new daytime footage, I saw the night footage in Sony Vegas being replaced by the new daytime footage, one by one. This implies that the files themselves were being replaced by the new ones where they were stored, which I find really bizzare.

GoPro

Thank you for the additional details, @magaman. Could there be settings on the editing software that you were using that could have caused the files to be replaced?