Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
GoPro Apps for Desktop
Sightseer

Re: QUIK Is Erasing My Footage

This is still an issue - thanks to this forum I've turned off the auto delete option. I'm not sure how to recover the files, but I'll use other's suggestions for 3rd party propgrams that can help get our vacation recordings back. 

Sightseer

I was able to get much of the footage back using Rescue Pro which is affiliated with Sandisk (not affiliated with me).  It didn't get everything, but it got most things back.  That said, I was best case scenario because the card hadn't been used since the GoPro footage decided to delete it all.  Cost 40 bucks.  Thanks GoPro for that.

Tourist

I posted to this thread yesterday with my experience of this issue, but my reply isn't showing up, despite my post count showing that I have in fact posted.

Nevertheless, as a follow-up I'd like to let others know that I did successfully recover what seems like all of the data from my SD card. The process took me a full day. 

I used a PC based program called GoPro Recovery which worked well. There's no Mac version, and the virtual machine I was using wouldn't recognise the SD card reader built into the MacBook Pro, so I had to make an image of the card using Disk Utility, then access that from the Windows virtual machine.

Screenshot 2017-08-03 09.51.25.png

A long, slow process to find a solution but would be happy to answer any questions for others facing the same issue.

Sightseer

Hi All,

Exact same thing happened to me today. Flew to NZ for a once in a lifetime trip and photos/videos of my family are all gone. Absolutely gutted. Anyone with a mac know the best way of recovering it? I see that https://www.goprorecovery.co.uk is the best bet but can someone send me a link of a website they used to be able to use Windows on their mac

Thanks

Hiker

Sorry to hear that!

Yes, this software is what you need. Don't use the SD card at all until you've recovered it!

Installing Windows depends totally on which Mac you have. Mine's a 2011 MBP and I replaced the optical drive with a second hard drive, so it was a total pain to install.

You can download Windows 10 and use it for free for 30 days I think.. the process mainly depends on which model Mac you have.

Generally, the newer, the easier.

Sightseer

I'm using VMware on my Mac in order to virtualize Windows OS. 

If you need Windows OS often I would recomend to install it either by boot camp or run it in a virtual machine using VMware.

If you need it in rare cases only you should have a look at virtual box (https://www.virtualbox.org) 'cause this is free.

Tourist

I successfully, eventually used VirtualBox and Windows 8.1 to run GoPro Recovery on my MacBook Air 11" (2011 model). GoPro Recovery needs direct access to the SD Card to run, but it will also work off a disk image which you can create using Disk Utility if your Mac has a built-in SD card reader (slot). Otherwise, you'll most likely need to get an external USB SD card reader, which should work with the Windows virtual machine in VirtualBox or VMWare.

Nomad

[ Edited ]

VMware has direct control of USB devices --> internal card reader is fully supported!

If I'm right from my mind USB devices should work in virtual box too. Only tested it once before I decided to go with VMware (instead of Parallels which is also great)