Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
GoPro Apps for Desktop
Sightseer

Re: QUIK Is Erasing My Footage

The same thing is happening to me right now and I am DEVESTATED!! I spent SO MUCH time vlogging and capturing my recent vaction and now my files are NOWHERE to be found!! I've been using the gopro desktop app and gopro studio for at least a year now to save and create videos. My media has been stored this entire time. However, for some reason not one video from my recent trip or any other adventure is there anymore. I'M PISSED! And also very sad. I'm sitting here crying. I thought GoPro was better than this but this experience is making me want to not buy the new hero 5 (which I was planning on doing) if this is how little they really care. Forget you GoPro. You just lost a customer. 

Tourist

Yea DEFINATELY disable "delete after import" box when using Quik.  

Now, Quik imports media for me but it doesn't show up in Quik in recently added or media files.  In fact, there are no files there.  

I need to open Finder then the folders and view them in QuickTime....which is sad because QuickTime is just a media viewer and not an editor.  

I have tried to "add files" and have tried to fiddle with the folder locations (which I never changed to begin with) to get the files to show up but to no avail.  It's really shocking to me how poor this actually is and with a brand trying to maintain such a high profile.

Two other sad notes of interest:

1. I've never seen a GoPro response to any of the posts on this support forum.....  And if you're like me, you will have noticed that there are a number of posts in this forum under different headings that point to the same problems.

2. I decided to contact GoPro and chat "live with a technician who are available 24/7" according to the website....and lo' and behold....it was closed at the time of my attempt.  Figures.

...still hoping for some solution to appear from somewhere....

GoPro Community Manager

@kjwalker - If you go into the Settings in Quik, are the folders where files are imported to also listed as one of your folders in the Media Folder section? If the folder is there, does hitting "Scan" help get the files into your Quik dashboard?

Jeff

GoPro Community Manager

@heatherb231 - Sorry about that. Even if the files don't import, they should be still on the SD card unless they were deleted. Even then, there are recovery programs that might help recover any files from the SD card. They may also still be in your computer's trash can/recycle bin.

Jeff

Tourist

Actually, I did try that in several different ways (files names, copying and pasting the path, etc) and then scanning and nothing is found.  And in fact, just now I tried to go to settings and add a folder, and that doesn't even work...the path area stays blank even though I select the folder and there are no scan options at this point.  I restarted the program and got the same result.

There are downloaded videos but again I use QuickTime to view them at the moment.  Quik has some videos listed but they are "greyed out" as unavailable....I can tell they are older videos that I've deleted so not sure why there are even images there.

Macbook Pro running 10.12.4 Sierra

K

Tourist

Okay, when I went back to Quik the scan option was there.  Scanned and nothing happened.  No media appeared that was in the folders.

I am posting a screen shot of the folder locations which are all over the place because I've been trying unsuccesfully to figure this out.

Let me know if you see something that is wrong.

K

Screen Shot 2017-05-21 at 3.35.36 PM.png
Tourist

Since my last pissed off post, I'm still pissed that GoPro maintains such terrible software, but I have atleast found a workable solution for me on my Macbook Pro laptop.

Now, when I plug my GoPro Hero 3+ into a USB port on my Macbook pro...I immediately hit the search magnifying glass in the top right and type "imagecapture". This will load an apple native program to see everything on your card.  For safety sake, just copy the full contents to a folder on your computer immediatly!

If any GoPro software tries to load... just close it, becuase it at best it sucks, and and at worst it will delete your videos before you get to watch or copy  them.

For time lapses:
copy all sequenced photos in a unique folder, then run ‘https://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/33252/time-lapse-assembler’ for mac

Avoid any GoPro software... Use anything Apple or Windows provides before trusting your footage to GoPro. If any single person at GoPro ever responded to my issues or complaints about their complete **bleep** software, I wouldn't be advising others this way. They once made nice cameras, but the software never kept up, and now apparently the camera's audio sucks on the 5... time to move on.

Good riddance after all the money I've spent on your gear. I hope anyone reading this will find another solution.

Sightseer

Sorry to say this just happened to me as well. Shoot a 4 hour timelapse of an outdoors event and now everything's missing, except the first photo.

WTF GoPro? You have any idea how deep you're messing with your customers?