Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
GoPro Apps for Desktop
Highlighted
Anonymous

Re: QUIK Is Erasing My Footage

I appreciate that advice, and I can't say I'm 100% certain if that was checked or not on my last (and final try with Quik) import attempt. I don't see that option in the general import preferences in Quik to look back and see what it was set to. Maybe for posterity sake, I'll shoot a quick video and time-lapse test to see if I come across that option and determine if it makes the files actually download to my computer.

My biggest grievance is that even if it was going to delete after the import based on that setting being checked, that the app should actually import first and confirm the files are on disc (Import somewhere at least... even to a temp directory or something) before deleting.  As a software developer working within a similar paradigm, we always verify we have a successful file transfer before any termination or clean-up code is executed. This isn't a new practice, but it seems to be something GoPro has been missing out on... at least based on my experience and a few others in this thread.

Highlighted
Anonymous

As a final kick in the junk. I got a fairly standard pop-up survey request from this forum. I actually took the time to complete it honestly and I wrote comments about my frustrations. When I submitted the survey, it threw some sort of 500 level error and said I needed to login again! I'm LOL'ing that I can't report a bug in your system because your website is so buggy. I won't be spending any more money on a new GoPro anytime soon until I'm sure they have got things back on track.

Highlighted
Anonymous

This just happened to me as well. After two weeks shooting my family holiday in Japan [from Australia], I arrived home excited to get to work editing my footage. I plugged in to let Quik do it's thing, and upon completion I have only 6 of 14 days worth of my effort to use.

I've now spent more money buying data recovery software [$120USD] to find the mossing files [win!] only to find that they are corrupted and Quik/GPStudio won't play them.

I'm really disappointed in my GoPro/Quik's performance after putting som much time, effort & money into buying my equipmant, travelling and devoting time on my family holiday to shooting rather than looking.....only to lose two-thirds of the footage to a glitch in the Quik program on the day I arrive home.

I'm going to look at a different action camera next time. I don't want to lose anymore of the memories of my kids growing up because the software isn't up to requirement.

Disappointing.

Highlighted
GoPro Community Manager

The files should still be on the SD card unless you deleted them within Quik after the import. You can plug the SD card into the computer using a card adapter and see which files are on the card itself.

Jeff

Highlighted
Anonymous

I've recovered the files Jeff. The issue I have now is that they seem to be corrupted and won't play on Quik, Studio or even Quiktime on my Mac. I need to figure out how to repair them now..if that's even possible.
Highlighted
Hiker

Exactly the same issue.

Today I filmed a rare seahouse, suspected to have left the conservation area in our lagoon.

I returned, used Quik and the footage wasn't there.. the notifcations say 33 of 62 videos imported, immediately followed by 62 videos deleted.

How DARE you.

How DARE you design and release software, that knowingly deletes videos that haven't been imported.

HOW DARE YOU.

Any good feelings I had about GoPro, their products and services have been wiped out. What an appalling, stupid mistake. I cannot believe you are so grossly incompetent to internationally ship such a wretched, wicked, useless piece of software.

This footage was valuable. It's now gone. You should be absolutely ashamed of yourselves.

Highlighted
Tourist

OMG this also just happened to me minutes ago. I shot several dozen short clips today. Came home, plugged in the USB reader with my SD Card in it, and Quik downloaded and then deleted within seconds. They are not on the Quik media folders, not in the GoPro folders, and not in the trash. What the hell..... It's really shocking how crappy this camera is when the world is full of very decent cameras at a fraction of the price. Amazing. I have no idea what to do.
Highlighted
Hiker

Hey, I can recommend the excellent RecoverGoPro software (conventional disk recovery doesn't work); although it's Windows-only, so I had to install Windows on a Boot Camp.

I've disabled 'delete after import', but am really shocked at how little GoPro care about this issue.

Their Twitter feed just fobbed me off repeatedly, continually telling me to turn off 'delete after import'; while refusing to acknowledge there is a fault with the feature, which requires fixing.