Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
GoPro Apps for Desktop
Tourist

Re: QUIK Is Erasing My Footage

Yeah, I'm not sure about VMWare specifically, but I know the card reader on the Macbook Pro I used didn't show up as a regular USB device in VirtualBox the way other "true" USB devices did. All other USB devices worked, just not the card reader.

Hiker

I tried using Windows through VirtualBox, but couldn't get the USB socket on my 2011 MacBook Pro to work!

In any event, I discovered how much better Windows runs via Boot Camp, so that was a silver lining.

Tourist

Really regretting my Hero5 purchase at this point.  Between GoPro destroying all original file creation timestamp information on import, to losing random irreplaceable videos (Just found out I lost my total eclipse footage, F@%$ you GoPro), I'm considering taking a loss on this P.O.S. and getting a camera that won't s h i t the bed constantly.   

Sightseer

@gantnerd did you have any luck with data recovery? i just lost almost all of the photos from a timelapse do to QUIK import

Tourist

Apart from running into issues of having enough local disk space to run the recovery (Figure having at least TWICE the size of the card free on your drive) it was finally able to  read the card and detect video frames and gave me thumbnails of its contents.  I purchased the recovery program at that point and tried to recover, it recovered one video from the tmp files it had made when in DEMO mode and then failed.  I decided to just scrap the demo files and start fresh with a full version of  the recover program, at this point it could no longer read my microSD card, making rapid plug-in/out noises the entire time and saying it could not find any video frames.  Had to recover the demotmp files i had deleted earlier so I at least have some backup of the info on the card, not sure if it is fried at this point or if it is just the crappy SD card reader I have.  Not doing anything else until I get a new card reader and giove it another go.

So yeah, it kinda maybe works a little. You might have better luck.  Don't even start the process until you have more hdd space than twice the size of the card.

Sightseer

Happened to me too, first time i've logged into the forum just to say how pissed i am. Travelled four hours away to a piece of road and filmed some of it, then four hours back and the app deletes it off my SD card not just the app. Completely ridiculous set up.

Tourist

It is indeed ridiculous.

You should be able to recover it. Don't try to use the card at all yet though. Do you have a Mac or a PC?
Tourist

I had tried everything, bought the software, didn't mess with the card etc. etc. & I was unable to recover the data.

I have stopped using the GoPro camera for the time being as I just don't trust it.