Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
GoPro Apps for Desktop
Anonymous

Re: QUIK Is Erasing My Footage

[ New ]

How in the heck is this issue not fixed yet? It is absolutely pathetic that this is still an issue. I just went on a hunting trip in Missouri, and lost half of my footage thanks to your lack of commitment to your customers, GoPro. This post originated in December of 2016, and I just had this happen to me today. Unbelievable.

Anonymous

[ New ]

I have an update on my data erasures by the Quik software.

I decided to stop using Quik altogether but when I came to use my GoPro to record some new footage, I ran into a problem where the camera told me that the card was full. When I plugged the card into my Mac and looked at the details, sure enough it showed a capacity of 64GB with 64GB used. However, there were no files visible when I listed the micro SD card in the Finder window.

I did a quick search for how to display hidden files on a Mac and came up with this solution. I listed the folders on the SD card again and hey presto! there are some hidden folders, one of which is called .Trashes. Inside that there is another folder called Trash and inside that... I found my video files deleted by Quik.

I manually copied them over to the hard disk and now I can begin to edit the video of last summer's camping holiday. I know I've lost other valuable video files because having run up against the "card full" problem in the past, I have reformatted the micro SD card within the camera.

On the plus side, I have some of my video files back. On the minus side, I am back to mannually handling large video files and importing them into video editing tools. This is a big deterrant to me using my GoPro camera.

Thanks GoPro.

Anonymous

[ New ]

Hey GoPro,

You need to fix this.  

My footage of my last trip were deleted by Quik with nothing left. All I got informed is the notification with some xx files was not imported and all my files were deleted after the process completed.

Please share if any other ways to recover my files.

So disappointed for this basic function issue.

Sightseer

[ New ]

Has anyone been able to resolve this or have gopro even tried to??? I have had the same issue today. 31 of my 38 files imported and then it automatically deleted files which had not imported!!!!

Even with auto delete these files should not be removed as they have not been imported!!!!

GoPro

[ New ]

Hello @tomc51344

I agree that the files should not have been deleted while they are still being imported. Was the camera directly connected to the computer when you did the import? Or was the import done using an SD card adapter? Also, is your SD card among the recommended ones as listed here: https://gopro.com/help/articles/block/microSD-Card-Considerations ? Is the auto-delete feature on Quik enabled? Does this issue always happen? Are both your camera and Quik for desktop updated to the latest version?

I know above is a bunch of questions but answers to them will help us in better understanding the situation, and isolating what maybe the causing such. Feel free to post back on this thread. Better yet, you can reach out to one of our Support team members for a more personalized support. You can reach them here: https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs

Thanks, 
Marius

Tourist

[ New ]

Same thing happened to me.  I just bought 2 GoPros.  Hero 6 Black and Hero 2018 (the one selling for $199).  I opened Quik and imported the footage I took for the past 3 days.  It saved it in the default folder on my MacBook Pro in Users/Pictures/GoPro/...then it created folders by date. 

I took the time to move ALL the clips to different folders on my desktop AND I renamed them all.  This was yesterday.  Then today, after shooting more footage, I took the 128 GB Micro SD Card out of the GoPro and Quik opened automatically.  After importing all the new files, I checked them.  Then I went back to the Quick App and in order to free up and start fresh with the Micro SD Card, I selected (in Quik) to DELETE the media files.  Why would I need them anymore since I already saved them, checked them and even moved and renamed them.

Moments after deleting the files using the Quik App, I just happened to look at the clips I saved yesterday.  They were all gone from where I moved them!  The folders I made were still there, but ALL the clips were gone.

I'm deleting the Quik App and just importing the way I usually do which is by opening the mounted Micro SD Card on the desktop and dragging them onto the desktop or an external hard drive.

Tourist

[ New ]

Quik is also erasing my footage. The same issue as with the others posted here. The footage is recorded on the GoPro with a compatible microSD card (as per the list of recommended cards linked in this thread), Quik imports and then deletes but doesn't import several of the files leading to the deletion of files when they shouldn't be. 

I initially thought that the camera wasn't working and that it didn't record in the first place until I made sure it was recording on a project a few months ago. Hooked it up for import and quik didn't import all the files... followed by deleting the lot even the ones it hadn't imported. Those are now lost forever!

I also noticed on a number of occassions that the software said there were no files to import when I had just spent a day recording.

The files were deffinately on the card as I discovered when I turned off the auto launch/import and delete function and restarted the software, the full set of files were there and imported completely so there is nothing wrong with the sdcard or the camera. Starting to think software glitch. (and yes the camera is in transfere mode not charge mode)

It happened again so I went looking for the missing files in the import folders as was mentioned on one of these threads but the files were not there. A number of files had just not been imported so I quit the software and restarted it and it re-imported the lot including the missing files that it turns out were not missing, just that Quik failed to import them. Software is doing something funny.

It happened again when I had turned the auto delete after import back on for this occassion. Quik imported several files and not the rest and then deleted the lot loosing me the remainder of my project so I couldn't complete it. 

And again in the last 4 days about 20 files to import. It imported them and then deleted them off the cameras card but when I checked the progress bar it said it only imported about 17 of 20 files. I'd forgotten to turn the auto delete off again and so now I'm in communication with the Card manufacturers tech support to try and repair the recovered files because of the way the gopro camera records the files, they can't be recovered successfully and require further software to repair the video files. even at that the result is glitchy and almost unwatchable.

This is a problem with Quik on the Mac from what I have read with others experiences and with my own. 

Your software developers have a big problem on their hands here. 

for now, turning off the auto delete after import should stop this from happening but it is not a permanent solution. A product that does not do what it was intended to do should be recalled and remedied.

Regardless of whether the user is a pro, semi-pro or a home user, this problem is ruining projects, once in a lifetime experiences and precious memories.

One of the deletes I experienced was footage of a product that I make a living from hiring out at events. due to that footage being deleted I had no footage of the product in order to advertise it to hire for the remainder of the year.(It was performed by a group for free at this event and I needed to advertise it and promote it to get hires. I couldn't go looking for another event and group because my budget was gone on the advertising group. The clients wont hire unless they see footage of the piece in action so unfortunately for me I've had to cease that trade for the remainder of the year)Other factors at responsible, not just the lack of advertising) It can have a detrimental impact for such a small thing as a software glitch. So you need to take responsibility for your software and FIX IT!. There's enough evidence in this thread alone to prompt some action.

Tourist

[ New ]
and now all video in the quik app is blacked out and there is no audio..... all of it. every video ever imported since I started using it two years ago. The time lapse and photos are fine but all the video is not as it should be. It is Quik that is the problem as the video is playing back fine in other players.
GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @deajarl0027

Please try to run Quik in Compatibility mode. 

Try Windows 8 or 8.1 or 7. 

Just right click the app and then choose Run in compatibility mode. 

Also may I know the specs of your computer such as Graphics card details and operating system. 

Thanks,

-Jay 

Tourist

[ New ]

I'm on a Macbook Pro Retina '13 2015

Precessor 2.9GHz intel core i5

Memory: 16GB 1867mhz DDR3

Graphics: intel iris 6100 1536MB

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @deajarl0027

Thank you for your sharing the information.

It appears that most of your computer's specification meets the minimum requirements except for the processor.

Here is a list of Quik for Desktop's minimum system requirements.

Thanks!
Ej

Sightseer

[ New ]

Please tell me there was a solution, just got back from a one time dive and saw about 20 seconds before everything vanished. Im currently on hold with GoPro

Sightseer

[ New ]
I wish you luck. I have never been able to retrieve mine.
Tourist

[ New ]

I had a lost dive too...

My solution involved buying third party software to recover the files from the micro SD card read through an external card reader. Then another third party software to repair the video files, convert the video files so I could import them to a video editor in order to splice them back together and remove the glitches. The quality was decent enough but not great. It also didn't recover some of the files so those are lost for good. I'm no longer using quik so havent had the problem since obviously.

The SD card is a SanDisk so I bought SanDisk RescuePro Deluxe (1 year subscription).

also downloaded Stellar Phoenix video/photo recovery Pro

Stellar Phoenix Video converter

I made my 'Dive' video and moved on never to touch gopro software again.

I import the files by transfere to folder and convert them for editing with Quicktime now.

I sort and view them all in Photos (mac)

Tourist

[ New ]

I am here just to say that at I am realy disipointed with GOPRO support. After so long time they did not solve problem. I was able to se videos on Quick but after some time I want to make movie all videos of my fishing trip are gone for good.

I tink if gopro support dont find some solution ( FREE recovery software) we people can yus boykot to by any more gopro camera.

Have 3 gopros and after this I am fraid to yse them.

Have BAD day mister SUPPORTER !

Sorry for my english ;)

@deajarl0027 wrote:

I had a lost dive too...

My solution involved buying third party software to recover the files from the micro SD card read through an external card reader. Then another third party software to repair the video files, convert the video files so I could import them to a video editor in order to splice them back together and remove the glitches. The quality was decent enough but not great. It also didn't recover some of the files so those are lost for good. I'm no longer using quik so havent had the problem since obviously.

The SD card is a SanDisk so I bought SanDisk RescuePro Deluxe (1 year subscription).

also downloaded Stellar Phoenix video/photo recovery Pro

Stellar Phoenix Video converter

I made my 'Dive' video and moved on never to touch gopro software again.

I import the files by transfere to folder and convert them for editing with Quicktime now.

I sort and view them all in Photos (mac)

Sightseer

[ New ]

I am also having this problem and lost so many memories from my trip. I am devistated. It is was deleted from my memory card.