Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
GoPro Apps for Desktop
Highlighted
Hiker
Accepted Solution

Problem copying files to PC

All attempts to connect my Hero 3+ to a Windows 10 PC, or a Windows 10 Tablet fail. The camera is not 'seen' by either and no files are transfered. Neither the desktop nor the tablet can 'see' the camera in bluetooth or by USB.

Any suggestions please?

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Explorer

Re: Problem copying files to PC

Connecting the camera directly will force a USB 2.0 speed transfer and will be done via MTP protocol.  MTP, while theoretically should be a better transfer method, seems to frequently run into issues with a variety of devices (not just GoPro). If you search, "mtp device not recognized windows 10" you may be able to find a solution.

The BEST solution is to stop connecting your camera directly all together.  Using a USB 3.0 adapter and a USB 3.0 port, you will be able to transfer your media much faster and more consistently have your SD card recognized (it will be recognized as a drive and not a device so MTP wont be utilized).  If you don't have a USB 3.0 adapter you can use a 2.0 or just a regular SD card adapter which comes with most microSD cards.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
GoPro

Hi @yoty2126

Here are ways on how to import files to your Windows computer:

Use Quik for desktop
Use an SD Adapter
Automatic with Auto Play Options
Manually with File Explorer 

You may refer to this link for the specific instructions for each method.

Thanks!

Ej

Highlighted
Hiker

Quick does not work as I said in my first post, unless the micro SD is taken out and put in the computer by which time it is actually quicker to use the 'manual' method with Explorer.

What I was really looking for was a solution to quick not working automatically. I can start it from the Start menu but it still won't upload videos to either the desktop or windows 10 tablet. (The Android side is perfectly OK [its a dual boot tablet] but I prefer Windows [yes, honest, I do])

Highlighted
Explorer

Connecting the camera directly will force a USB 2.0 speed transfer and will be done via MTP protocol.  MTP, while theoretically should be a better transfer method, seems to frequently run into issues with a variety of devices (not just GoPro). If you search, "mtp device not recognized windows 10" you may be able to find a solution.

The BEST solution is to stop connecting your camera directly all together.  Using a USB 3.0 adapter and a USB 3.0 port, you will be able to transfer your media much faster and more consistently have your SD card recognized (it will be recognized as a drive and not a device so MTP wont be utilized).  If you don't have a USB 3.0 adapter you can use a 2.0 or just a regular SD card adapter which comes with most microSD cards.

Highlighted
Hiker

Thanks Daniel, I am using a USB3 with a card reader as the only way to get the files across to a PC.

I did search for MTP not working in Wiundows 10 but the solution given (via Device manager) does not work.

I've now given up trying Man Frustrated

Highlighted
Hiker

I've just wasted a whole load of time uninstalling Quick, rebooting the pC, reinstalling quick, downloading and installing MTP from MIcrosoft, rebooting the PC, searching Google for alternative solutions and getting absolutely nowhere.

Anybody want to but a not-so-much of a Hero3+ Silver?

It's a load of ******* rubbish though...

Highlighted
GoPro

Hello @yoty2126

Sorry to hear about the trouble. Greatly appreciate you going through the recommended troubleshooting steps. Have you tried using a different SD card? You can check out this article for a list of recommended SD cards. If you have not done so yet, see also if the other steps suggested here when camera is not recognized by Quik for desktop will help. 

Let us know how it goes. 

Thanks, 
Marius