Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
GoPro Apps for Desktop
Highlighted
Tourist
Accepted Solution

New GoPro 7 with amazing features which cannot be enjoyed due to atrocious software?

[ Edited ]

Am I correct with the following assumptions?

GoPro Quik for Desktop is the only latest application from GoPro to edit videos on a Windows computer

GoPro Quick for Desktop does not support Telemetry on 4K 60FPS videos

GoPro Quik for Desktop causes MASSIVE quality loss when exporting 1080p 60FPS videos

It is impossible to enjoy 4K or even 1080P videos in all their glory if they have been edited in GoPro Quik for desktop.

If any or all of the above statements are true, what is the point of buying the latest and greatest GoPro camera if you cannot use all the of features?

I am aware that you can use third party apps like Adobe Premiere Pro and Dashware to cobble together a video after conversions, data exports and paying more money, but it is completley unacceptable that GoPro sell these £380 cameras claiming to enjoy all this amazing technology when it is simply not possible with their offerings.

Surley this is false advertising?

Here is my cool 1080p 60 FPS video DESTROYED by the GoPro software.

I would have filmed with 4K 60FPS but then I cannot get the telemetry overlay.

Mind you with this appaling quality loss, there is no point recording in 4K or 1080p!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBeN4qjCrH8&t=2s

I am very disappointed.

Paragliding from Figuerassa to Berga. Niviuk Koyot 3 P. Niviuk Roamer 2. GoPro7. Skybean ChaseCam.

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Explorer

Re: New GoPro 7 with amazing features which cannot be enjoyed due to atrocious software?

You are not limited to using GoPro Quik desktop editor.  There are many FREE options available.  System Specs will limit the capability of any editor.

GPS overlay with 4K/60fps is possible (this video is HERO6, but no different with HERO7 Black)

Free editors:
DaVinci Resolve - (professional video editor and considered best for color grading. Payed version allows for HEVC editing, but you can convert HEVC files to h.264 with HandBrake for use with free version)

VSDC Video editor - Free, very good non-linear editor and also allows editing of HEVC files. Silky smooth slow motion without needing optical flow.

HitFilm Express - Free editor which allows for easy application of special effects. Paid version has more effects

VideoProc - Free editor, auto adjust to PC specs for best performance. Free version limits to 5 minute videos

ShotCut - Free, easy to use and there are several excellent tutorials on their website

Lightworks - Free, max 720p render resolution

Blender - Free, more complicated to learn, but incredibly powerful and flexible for creating effects

GoPro Quik Mobile app - Works best on iOS, but also for Android. iOS outputs highest bitrate when Pro setting is selected, Android does as well, but is limited by Android render engine and device capability. Quik has speed indicator for GPS data.

GoPro Splice Mobile app - iOS only. Very good mobile editor but seems limited to h.264 video files. Works best with 1080p/30 or 60fps.

For GPS data:
DashWare - GoPro software for GPS overlay data
RaceRender - Easier to use and with more gauges than DashWare. Free version limits length of video

GoPro Mobile App iOS (coming to Android) - add GPS gauge "Stickers" to video

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
Tourist

Re: New GoPro 7 with amazing features which cannot be enjoyed due to atrocious software?

Not to mention GoPro Quik for Desktop runs like a dog, constantly freezing, stalling and crashing on a state of the art high performance PC with i7 CPU, 32Gb of Ram, Samsung high speed SSD, Nvidia GeForce 1070 GPU, making using the application near impossible.

Highlighted
Sightseer

I was browsing the forums to try to figure out how to use my GoPro Hero 7 to add overlays, which is done in Quik... but then I'm limited to 60 second videos. I need to string together my full excursion which took 28 minutes.  

From what I've been reading, I can't even join my videos together with the overlays with just Quik.  I feel like I got snookered on the software end of this camera.  

Highlighted
Explorer

You are not limited to using GoPro Quik desktop editor.  There are many FREE options available.  System Specs will limit the capability of any editor.

GPS overlay with 4K/60fps is possible (this video is HERO6, but no different with HERO7 Black)

Free editors:
DaVinci Resolve - (professional video editor and considered best for color grading. Payed version allows for HEVC editing, but you can convert HEVC files to h.264 with HandBrake for use with free version)

VSDC Video editor - Free, very good non-linear editor and also allows editing of HEVC files. Silky smooth slow motion without needing optical flow.

HitFilm Express - Free editor which allows for easy application of special effects. Paid version has more effects

VideoProc - Free editor, auto adjust to PC specs for best performance. Free version limits to 5 minute videos

ShotCut - Free, easy to use and there are several excellent tutorials on their website

Lightworks - Free, max 720p render resolution

Blender - Free, more complicated to learn, but incredibly powerful and flexible for creating effects

GoPro Quik Mobile app - Works best on iOS, but also for Android. iOS outputs highest bitrate when Pro setting is selected, Android does as well, but is limited by Android render engine and device capability. Quik has speed indicator for GPS data.

GoPro Splice Mobile app - iOS only. Very good mobile editor but seems limited to h.264 video files. Works best with 1080p/30 or 60fps.

For GPS data:
DashWare - GoPro software for GPS overlay data
RaceRender - Easier to use and with more gauges than DashWare. Free version limits length of video

GoPro Mobile App iOS (coming to Android) - add GPS gauge "Stickers" to video

Highlighted
Tourist

Thanks for the detailed reply Danielr15. Cool video also!

So that was your complete raw video? (i.e. not a series of clips).

If you do the entire video I imagine it is easier as the GPS data all lines up immediately without the fiddly process of matching it up?

I assume you used GoPro Quik for iOS or Android for that video as it has the Quik overlays?

If not, could you explain your process for putting that video together?

The mobile version of Quik supports 4K 60FPS?

Also, of all those tools you mentioned, which ones do you use regularly? I am looking for minimal editing time and conversions. Effectly the quickest and easiest method to make a short video of my flights.

One good thing about the GoPro 7 is the stabilisation. It is pretty amazing.

Thanks again, Blake.