Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
GoPro Apps for Desktop
Highlighted
Tourist

Must hot-wire GoPro Hero 7 to my GoPro Quik Desktop app?

I have a question. Can I use WiFi to connect to GoPro Hero Black 7 on my Mac? I installed GoPro Quik desktop app on my Mac computer. I have no problem to login to my account on GoPro Quik desltop app. But I cannot connect with my GoPro Hero Black 7. 

Below are the scren shot when I try to add GoPro Hero Black 7.

Screen Shot 2019-07-28 at 2.29.28 PM.png

However, after I click the left side "Connect your Camera", it shows 

Screen Shot 2019-07-28 at 2.29.13 PM.png

Does it mean that GoPro Quk Desktop can only be connect through hot wire "Plugging into the computer"? I have no problem to use GoPro mobile app on my smartphone. I realized that on mobile app, I have to connect with GoPro's WiFi network.  Thus, I used the same way to connect my desktop GoPro Quik app with the GoPro Hero 7's WiFi network, there is no problem to connect, but Ithe GoPro Quik Desktop was shown as offline. When I try to connect, it still shows "Plug your camera into the computer" as in the 2nd picture and I cannot see my Hero 7 at all. 

Why do I want to connect through my GoPro Quik Desktop app instead of my phone? It's because I don't want to drain my smartphone battery when I try to set up my GoPro Hero 7 to monitor my pet.

Can someone tell me how to solve this problem? Thank you. 

AlexC

Highlighted
Tourist

Re: Must hot-wire GoPro Hero 7 to my GoPro Quik Desktop app?

Some updates. After trying to trouble shoot this problem, I found out the connection USB-C cable is not popping on the Quik Desktop app (but it charges). I use another USB-C cable, this time Quik app pop once I connect GoPro Hero 7 to my Mac. However, it cannot read my 256GM memory card. It stays on this screen and cannot move forward at all. You can see the SD-Card part is not reading at all. 

What's going on?

Screen Shot 2019-07-28 at 15.23.04.png

Highlighted
GoPro

Hello @fleetdawn727. Quik for desktop might still be reading the contents of the SD card that is why it is taking longer to completely detect the card. If you have done it by connecting the camera directly to the Mac, try inserting the SD card into the Mac via an adapter instead. 

For the Mac to consistently detect the camera, you may go through the troubleshooting steps detailed in this article. Let us know how it goes. Thanks!

Highlighted
Tourist

Thank you for ytour response. I also just realized Quik Desktop app is to edit photos and videos. I thought it can be used as monitoring like GoPro app in smartphone. 

AC