Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
GoPro Apps for Desktop
Tourist

Max exporter crashes for CineForm and HEVC export is lower quality than Android GoPro App

[ New ]

Ok, so I received my GoPro Max last week and took it out for a flight in a gyrocopter, a great trip and I was expecting big things from the recorded 360 video.  Unfortunately the first of my problems was that Max Exporter PC software is unable to export an 8 minute 5.6K CineForm clip without maxing out the CPU and crashing at about 10-20% (I have plenty of SSD disk space, 16GB memory, i5-7600K CPU, and a 1070ti graphics card).  It will export short (10 - 20s) clips.  Ok, so I can probably live without 5K6 exports for now, but if I export to HEVC 4K I get compression artefacts in the video caused by the rotor/propeller movement (see attached).  If I export the same .360 file using the Android GoPro app, which I presume is also using HEVC 4K as the result is a 4K mp4 file, there are no compression artefacts.  It seems a little odd that my android phone can export with a higher quality than my high end PC, anybody have any ideas/advice for a) getting 5K6 exports and b) why there are compression artefacts?

vlcsnap-2020-06-30-09h18m43s390.png
Tourist

Rif.: Max exporter crashes for CineForm and HEVC export is lower quality than Android GoPro App

[ New ]

Are you using the hardware decoding option? That card supports HEVC 8k natively. If your CPU is maxed out seems you're doing software decoding.

Tourist

Rif.: Max exporter crashes for CineForm and HEVC export is lower quality than Android GoPro App

[ New ]

I have tried CineForm decoding with hardware and software decoding, both crash. HEVC 4K with hardware decoding has the CPU at less than 30% and GPU at around 33% so easily coping, it also has no problem without hardware decoding.  Attached is the error I get in CineForm export with HW decoding, GPU running at about 35%, CPU jumps from 75% to maxed out just before it crashes.

snip.jpg
Tourist

[ New ]

That's a stack overflow error. Means something eats up all the memory. Well, the stack memory, so must be a recursive function not properly terminating or allocation of local variables not freed up. They should have used a memory profiler to look for memory leaks before releasing the software.

Open a support case and attach the stack trace, they should be able to figure out where and when this happens.